Register  | Login
  Search

Buckmasters Forums

And another happy father ...
Last Post 12 Dec 2008 08:17 PM by WVHunter129. 9 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
mcraddock
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
30 Nov 2008 08:20 PM  
Took my 8 year old step son hunting for the 3rd time and he spotted this guy. I was hoping it was a doe but turned out to be a button buck. Not a big deal though, as I was mainly just trying to see how he would react to whole "death" part of hunting. No problems there. And he even helped me field dress him. Time to buy him a deer rifle he can handle, I reckon. Can't wait to take him to get his first deer!

It's been raining here for three days straight. Tommorow should be awesome!
PINETREE
8 Point
8 Point

--
01 Dec 2008 07:30 PM  
GOOD GOING......AND GOOD FOR YOU DAD FOR TAKNG HIM FOR SUCH A GREAT EXP.
MIKE EVERETT
stillframe
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
01 Dec 2008 11:40 PM  
Way ta go man... You too dad!
countrygirl
Forum Moderator
8 Point
8 Point

--
02 Dec 2008 01:46 AM  
Way to go dad!! Looks like it was a nice hunt for both of ya'all!!
Ron
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
02 Dec 2008 02:44 AM  
awesome job getting him out in the woods with ya. If you are looking for a good model gun for him my son also 8 shoots a rossi .243 youth model which i also cut down the stock and rebutted it so it fit into his shoulder alot better. as he gets bigger I can dawl pin the butt back on the stock. Good luck on getting him out there and getting his first deer. If you wanna throw some ideas around on how to keep these boys in the stands like with jordan I let him bring his gameboy for some of the slow times in the stand stuff like that gimmie a shout.  here is a pic of the gun.
leave a message after the beep... me and the boy is hunting
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
02 Dec 2008 02:59 AM  
Cool,another one joins the ranks.Awesome thing getting to see smiles on thier faces(your's to pop !)
Tubby
The God of My Rock;He Is My Sheild;And The Horn Of My Salvation 2 Samuuel,Ch 22
jkoehler
Forum Moderator
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
02 Dec 2008 03:22 AM  
Congrats that is awesome
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
'To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.'
mcraddock
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
06 Dec 2008 05:08 PM  
Posted By wvbowhunter on 12/01/2008 8:44 PM
awesome job getting him out in the woods with ya. If you are looking for a good model gun for him my son also 8 shoots a rossi .243 youth model which i also cut down the stock and rebutted it so it fit into his shoulder alot better. as he gets bigger I can dawl pin the butt back on the stock. Good luck on getting him out there and getting his first deer. If you wanna throw some ideas around on how to keep these boys in the stands like with jordan I let him bring his gameboy for some of the slow times in the stand stuff like that gimmie a shout.  here is a pic of the gun.

Thank you for the info wvbowhunter ,and thanks to everyone else for your compliments. 

Really gets you stoked when the youngsters go with you and show the same enthusiasm you remember having while hunting as a kid.

I took a 20 gauge Mossberg shotgun  for him loaded with buckshot on the off chance that a deer came close enough for him to shoot. I cut down a youth stock for him the same way you did on that rifle WV. But now I'm looking at just getting a .243 barrel for my NEF Handi-rifle and give it to him. I made a short stock for it too. He'll need that cut-down shotgun for dove and turkey season anyway. But shotgunning for deer around here requires getting close and I don't think he can be still or quite enough for that. 

Also, we took his Gameboy with us. He never turned it on out of 4 trips now (avg of 4 hour hunts), a few naps though. This kid is driven to hunt. He has taken out a personal vendetta against all the squirrels in my neighborhood with his pellet gun. I love it ! Dang squirrels are always ticking me off !
Ron
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
11 Dec 2008 04:45 AM  
yea i think the nap thing is a givin. Sounds like you got a plan there with the .243 barrel.  I got jordan a .22 crickett with a tasco scope for christmas 2 years ago. we go target shooting and it is cheap and doesn't wearout his shoulder. it's a good training tool.
leave a message after the beep... me and the boy is hunting
WVHunter129
Forum Administrator
8 Point
8 Point

--
12 Dec 2008 08:17 PM  
Congrats on the deer and also introducing a new hunter to the sport of hunting. Those times spent with your children in the woods is something that you will charish forever. Having pictures taken of the event also will bring back those memories years later. I should know both of my boys are grown now...my youngest (23 now) loves to hunt with a passion. My oldest never really took to it, but that was cause I listened to to many people saying wait till he is 13 or 14 before taking him hunting. I am here to tell you know...take them out as soon as they begin to walk...even if it is only for an hour or two. Just get them out.
WVHunter129
Live to Hunt/Hunt to Live
Forum Administrator
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! Join Buckmasters Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!