Register  | Login
  Search

Buckmasters Forums

First big buck after 20+ years hunting!
Last Post 29 Nov 2009 10:54 PM by WANTABIGBUCK. 33 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
Housley
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
17 Nov 2008 06:40 AM  
Treasure County, Montana, saturday morning, November 15, 2008. The day is cold the ground covered in a thick frost with a slight wind from the south west. The sun was not up but the sky was a crescent of blue and visibility quickly approaching the hunting is safe point. I sat in my truck thinking about what the day may or may not produce and said a little prayer before I finally eased out of the cab at 6:45 am.

It was nothing short of a miracle that I was even hunting at all. Up until the week previous I didn’t have the money to even think about driving the two hours to my favorite hunting area. With a renewed hope for the best I made my way from my traditional parking spot and started walking to my little honey hole for doe's, a sure thing kind of honey hole. This day would be starting off badly I thought as I walked along the edge of a harvested cornfield, the wind was wrong and I felt that I was going to have to make a decision to go somewhere else so I stopped only 60 yards max from my parked truck and glassed the field to ponder my next move. Shockingly a huge doe ran across the other side of the field a good 400 yards away. I thought great at least I got to see a deer. The doe stopped and looked back, I know from watching Jackie Bushman DVD's over and over again this was a good sign that a buck was chasing. Like a Jackie Bushman video this is exactly what played out. The only problem was as the buck came into view the doe took off and vanished. I now watch the buck trot in the does direction and as I watched it leaving the area I thought to myself , "wouldn’t it be funny if he turned around and came to me?" Turn he did and he was moving in my direction. The wind was wrong and I thought he may wind me but I used every tactic in the book for odor control, it paid off.  He quickly closed the gap and then took a bit of a turn and was headed to the edge of a corn field yet to be harvested. I had already hit the dirt and in the prone position using my elbows to support the rifle just in the same way I learned in Army basic training. I looked down range through the Bushnell scope of my Remington 300 Win-Mag and the deer looked like he was going to get away because his trot was a little fast and I had to keep repositioning quickly to even see him. He slowed just enough for me to take a shot. I'm not going to lie I had to take two more to get him down. I attempted the longest shot(s) ever for me at anything and made it count. I then made my way to the buck in anticipation of what he may look like on top of the head. I was not let down by what I found. The large bodied fully mature buck was a typical 4x5 with good mass and decent brow tines. Several hunters I met later guessed him to be 4 to 5 years old. He would be a great management buck in any other place but for me it was as good as it gets and on public land. Maybe I will get a bigger one someday but after hunting for twenty years and many of those years eating tag soup, this was a great moment. It really was something close to hunts I have watched in so many of Bushman's videos, only this time I was the star of the show.

Whitetail Hunter
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
17 Nov 2008 02:49 PM  
DrPepper that sounded like an awesome hunt and a well deserved trophy after all these years.  It is really great when we can go hunting, and all of a sudden it is like Jackie Bushman himself got the deer to follow directions of the script so to speak.

Sounds like you had a great time and came away with a large grin that no one is gonna wipe off your face anytime soon.
Live such a life so when you wake up in the morning, Satan shudders & says, "Oh no, they're awake!"
rebel deer hunter
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
19 Nov 2008 02:30 AM  
congrats on the nice buck
SOUTHERN PRIDE
Housley
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
19 Nov 2008 05:10 AM  
Thank you NW Montana! It is fun and I'm grining about right now! 
Housley
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
19 Nov 2008 05:12 AM  
Thank you Rebel Deer Hunter! You guys that comment really make my day!
Brandon
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
19 Nov 2008 09:33 PM  
Congrats on a great buck! Glad to see that your persistence finally paid off.
Maddog10
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
20 Nov 2008 02:39 AM  
Like the others said, congratulations. Sounds like that is a well deserved trophy. Very nice buck!
Housley
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
20 Nov 2008 07:33 AM  
Thank you brandon8807, I'm still not over it. When I was driving back that day I felt like everything in life was a little sweeter
Housley
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
20 Nov 2008 07:35 AM  
Thanks MadDog10, Everytime someone leaves a col comment I make sure to go and leave some for others. I found several fellas that got a nice buck for the first time this season. 
sublime9787
6 Point
6 Point

--
20 Nov 2008 10:22 AM  
congrats on a nice buck! i wish you luck in getting another one in the future, i just need to keep telling myself that too now!
Mike
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
20 Nov 2008 06:54 PM  
Thank you for your story and congratulations on a fine buck.
Housley
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
26 Nov 2008 07:04 AM  
Elder Sasquatch, thank you for the comment and for reading the story, you guys that comment here on Buckmaster rock!  
Housley
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
26 Nov 2008 07:08 AM  
Thank you Sublime9787, from your comment it looks like we are in the same boat this year. The place I got this buck is a spot I have been hunting for 5 years, I have seen bucks time to time and a few B&Y class deer are hanging around in this area. I mostly go after the does because I can get more tags for them, 3 tags some years 4. This year I have three and will be trying to fill them this weekend. Good fortune to you! Thanks for the comment.  
Housley
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
26 Nov 2008 07:15 AM  

This is the only way I could get one of those antler in the sky shots, considering I was hunting alone.
Housley
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
26 Nov 2008 07:22 AM  

This is the edge of the corn field, the buck made his way some 200 yards from the other side, all he needed was to make it to the next field directly in front of him, that field was still high with uncut corn stalks. The burm in front of him is about 10 yards then there is the fence that seperates the public hunting land from private property.  I shot the buck about twenty yards back but he made it that far. You can see the heavy frost on the ground. I shot a doe a couple years ago almost in this same exact spot. If you look up to the corner of this field, I was positioned about 150 yards to the left. The wind was wrong but this guy didnt catch me.
Housley
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
26 Nov 2008 07:29 AM  

I like this picture because it shows the white on the bucks face and that his rack is more a rack than a basket.  
mike243
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
27 Nov 2008 10:45 AM  
congrats mike243
Housley
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
29 Nov 2008 01:39 AM  
mike243, thank you so much for the congrats, every comment means alot to me.
busted
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
30 Nov 2008 02:27 AM  
Don't ever stop telling this story. It's been twenty years in the making. You'll never get your 'first deer' again, so enjoy the moment. Congrats!!
Kansas Droptine
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
01 Dec 2008 12:53 PM  
Ya gotta love it when a plan comes together. I shot the biggest buck to date this year, and don't know if I will ever get the chance to take one any bigger, but if I don't it doesn't matter because I got this one. Congrats on your buck, it was a long time in the making, but that makes it that much sweeter to tell the story. Thanks for the recount of your hunt it helps to have the story behind the hunt. Take care.
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

Active Forums 4.2
Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! Join Buckmasters Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!