Register  | Login
  Search

Buckmasters Forums

WI youth only deer hunt sucess
Last Post 22 Oct 2007 02:28 PM by WANTABIGBUCK. 13 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
2Chucks
6 Point
6 Point

--
08 Oct 2007 01:25 AM  
Thunder, Lightening, High Temps........Not the typical hunting conditions I am used to but when the youth hunt offers you two days to take your kid hunting, you have to make do.

We woke at 5:45 on Sat. morning to see bright flashes through the bedroom window and loud rumbles of thunder shook the pictures on the wall. It was already 68 degrees. Josh and I both dressed in shorts and a tee shirt and a thin orange vest. We wore rubber boots because of the rain but tennis shoes would have been just as good.

We walked across the clover field to the "Office" which is a ground blind I built back in 1995. It overlooks one corner of the field facing East. The blind has a tin roof and the rain pounding it covered any noise we would make. The lighting would give us quick peeks at the field but the deer were smart enough to be under a big hemlock or other shelter. When it got light, the fog made it tough to see.

We sat until 9:30. Thats when the sun broke through the fog and we walked back to the house for breakfast. It was getting warm, fast. It got up to 85F    This is unheard of for WI for this time of year.

As well left the blind, I took a picture of the mighty hunter in his Polo shirt and shorts. Normally it would be long underwear and heavy coats and gloves.

After some bacon and eggs, we set up a target to do a little shooting. Grandpa offered advice.

My sister showed up with her sons. They are 7 and 8. They wanted to show me how they could shoot.

This is either a young Rambo or Ned Nugent. Either way, it's archery with attitude.  :roll:

We enjoyed the afternoon and went back to sit in the same stand for the evening hunt. We set up around 5 pm. We had a great view of the corner.

Just after 6:30, a single deer came out and started feeding. I told Josh to wait but it was getting dark fast. When the deer gave him a broadside shot, he fired. We saw the deer drop in it's tracks.    We then walked back to the house and got the four wheeler and a flashlight and went back for the deer. This is Josh's 2nd deer but it is the first time I was present during a harvest. Last year he got a doe while hunting with my sister (Rambo's mother) So I was tickled pink to be present for this event.

With the high temps, we waisted little time getting the deer on ice.

On Sunday, we we slept in and then did a little more shooting and then headed back home. Fresh tenderloins and backstraps are on the menu for tomorrow night.
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
08 Oct 2007 01:44 AM  
WAY TO GO !Congrats to Josh.
Tubby
The God of My Rock;He Is My Sheild;And The Horn Of My Salvation 2 Samuuel,Ch 22
Dakota Danny
6 Point
6 Point

--
08 Oct 2007 04:12 AM  
Nice shooting Josh!

It's been weird this year already. All we can do is adjust our clothing. The cool weather is coming! Enjoy the meat!
AndyC
6 Point
6 Point

--
08 Oct 2007 04:24 AM  
Congrats to Josh.

It was real hot here in Southern Il too.
cb
8 Point
8 Point

--
08 Oct 2007 04:50 PM  
A BIG Thumbs-Up for Josh!!
Grat looking extended family, bow hunting in thier blood
Ian Hunts NY
6 Point
6 Point

--
08 Oct 2007 06:02 PM  
congrats to him
wisconsincamofem
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
09 Oct 2007 12:22 AM  
Thank You for sharing 2chucks.. You are always such a descriptive storyteller...That will be some good supper right there.!!
Like the picture of the field with sunrays as well as the pine dripping water. Very neat. Kudos to Josh!!
Land of the Packers, Miller, Great Cheese, and Deer Camps
BOWHUNTER missouri
8 Point
8 Point

--
10 Oct 2007 03:40 AM  
way to go josh!
GIT-R-DONE
cfiloteo3
6 Point
6 Point

--
10 Oct 2007 04:23 AM  
Congrats on a good doe. Great way to start off the season!
Crystal City,
Zavala County,
Deep South Texas
trinitydeerslayer
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
10 Oct 2007 05:15 PM  
Congrats to your son. Nice pictures too. That is some really amazing countryside there...
z3z528

--
10 Oct 2007 09:29 PM  
excellent pics and story... congrats to your son aswell
Ohio is where the Big Bucks Roam!!!
jkoehler
Forum Moderator
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
10 Oct 2007 10:31 PM  
Congrats
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
'To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.'
kcgrill
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
19 Oct 2007 05:18 PM  
Well done Josh! It must be quite an honor to hunt with your dad and I hope you enjoy his stories as much as we in Buckmasters do.
Great pix and story too 2C. I felt as if I was in the blind with you both. Take time too 2C to count your blessings to be spending time with your son. I commend you!
WANTABIGBUCK
12 Point
12 Point

--
22 Oct 2007 02:28 PM  
CONGRATS
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! Join Buckmasters Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!