Register  | Login
  Search

Buckmasters Forums

Suggestion for New Site
Last Post 26 Jul 2007 02:44 PM by r_rayjr. 28 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
AndyC
6 Point
6 Point

--
18 Jul 2007 07:22 PM  
Why don't the IT people go and look at usage over the last month. Find out who the active users of this site are. Then go in and set up those user with the same user name and update with there number of posts and "rank" (spike, botton buck, world record,). Then shoot an email to the folks and let them know the link to the new site and password it changed.

This would give the new site some sense of "community". I would also suggest moveing 2 chucks blog over. He put alot of work into it and I enjoy looking at the things we has created.

I think BM should have told the users before the site was launced and "migrated" current users over. Don't see what it would have hurt.
asst19chief
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
18 Jul 2007 08:46 PM  
I agree, I couldn't get on yesterday morning. I even tried to re-apply, I did get on last nite with my old login.
AndyC
6 Point
6 Point

--
18 Jul 2007 10:01 PM  
in addition....If I were paying for advertising on this site I would be tee-off.  Instead of paying for a site who has several hundred "eyes" on it each day they are getting one with just a few people who can figure out how to log in.
trinitydeerslayer
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
18 Jul 2007 10:13 PM  
yeah...this sux. I played heck trying to get signed back on, wound up doing it and not evening knowing what I had done...very frustrating.

And I don't want to be a button-buck again!
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
18 Jul 2007 10:50 PM  
I would like to see a back ground color change,the bright white color is hard to look at for any length of time.I think someone asked about this on questions for the mods
Tubby
The God of My Rock;He Is My Sheild;And The Horn Of My Salvation 2 Samuuel,Ch 22
slawman
8 Point
8 Point

--
19 Jul 2007 12:36 AM  
I like to visit some of the old topics that do get new replies now and then. Then there is the 2chucks posts, my gosh do you what extent he went to for some of his postings, which I like to revisit from time to time. And even I like to shed new light on some of the old topics.
buck
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
19 Jul 2007 12:43 AM  
Guys it just took me an hour to log in i like the old forum.
MelSue
Forum Administrator
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
19 Jul 2007 01:18 AM  
My suggestion to everyone who wants to save posts from the old site while it is being looked into..... Use the above link to the old forums and start copying and pasting them on your computers or printing them. I went back and printed my favorite ones.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Beta Lead
Site Admin
6 Point
6 Point

--
19 Jul 2007 01:35 AM  
Hey guys, I thought I would chime in and answer a few of theses questions.
Please forgive my spelling and grammer as it has been a long day and I never was good at that anyway.

A: Converting users
We would have loved to have been able to do that. It was in the original plan however the passwords were encrypted then (and now) and could not be reversed in 90% of the cases. So rather than convert a few and not others we abandoned the idea and decided to start anew.

B: Converting forums
I am personally trying to develop the script to bring over the recent, most viewed, most active etc..
Though the technologies are similiar the data sets are very different. There is a wealth of information in the old forums and I, and others will be working hard over the next month to get these moved.

C: 2 Chucks blogs
I agree whole heartedly. See B above.
Perhaps a better method so more people could see/find it would be to have 2 Chucks submit them (copy/paste)  via the new Member Stories area. This way they could be indexed and viewed by a larger target audience.

D: Advance notice.
The original plan was to launch during the EXPO. We would have people stationed in Greensboro as well as the home office to handle the 5-6 hours of work and configurations. However at the last minute some of the personnel was going to have to be in Greensboro leaving us short handed at the office for a task of this size.
We then decided on an un-official launch date. We had approx 72 hours to prepare for this always with a plan to rollback if neccesary. Not only is this a new site but it is also hosted by a new server and all BM sites had to be moved. During this launch we came to a point of commiting or rolling back the launch. After some quick discussion and debate we moved forward.
Sorry for any inconvienance...

E: Registration
We have experienced troubles with the registration process. We originally had the Beta site locked down to invitees only. During the conversion to open registration some bugs were found. We have corrected a majority of these and will continue making registration an easy and quick process a high priority.

F: Forum colors/backgrounds
Done, though we probably will continue to tweak here and there...

G: Old forums
See B:
The old forums will not be deleted and will remain accessible trhu links. Like I stated before there is a wealth of information there that we will maintain/convert. The forums will be locked in the future but still searchable/readable etc...

I hoped I answered a few of your questions if not please feel free to PM me and I will do my best to respond.

Thanks - 
Daniel E.
What? Who me?
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
19 Jul 2007 01:38 PM  
Thank you for your explanantion
Tubby
The God of My Rock;He Is My Sheild;And The Horn Of My Salvation 2 Samuuel,Ch 22
Turkulese
6 Point
6 Point

--
19 Jul 2007 04:20 PM  
I don't see anything to complain about here... we still get to chat and it looks like we are going to get some of the old stuff back. Don't live your life behind a computer screen... unless of course your injured... then it's understandable.
huntininmissouri
6 Point
6 Point

--
19 Jul 2007 05:12 PM  

the new site looks great!you'll never be able to please everyone.

great job!!

bowhunterx16
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
19 Jul 2007 05:37 PM  
I could not log into this new site with my old username and password so I had to re register is that normal?
Drhunter2k
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
19 Jul 2007 06:11 PM  
The only thing I don't like about the new site is it takes much longer to load. I have cable service but the site loads sometimes like dial-up day or night.
Beta Lead
Site Admin
6 Point
6 Point

--
19 Jul 2007 06:33 PM  
Posted By bowhunterx16 on 07/19/2007 11:37 AM
I could not log into this new site with my old username and password so I had to re register is that normal?

Yes we could not translate the old logins. Your old login is still good on the old site.
What? Who me?
Beta Lead
Site Admin
6 Point
6 Point

--
19 Jul 2007 06:35 PM  
Posted By Drhunter2k on 07/19/2007 12:11 PM
The only thing I don't like about the new site is it takes much longer to load. I have cable service but the site loads sometimes like dial-up day or night.

This will improve. Sites like this on very dependent on cacheing and we are continuing to tweak here and there.
What? Who me?
Georgiaboy
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
19 Jul 2007 09:42 PM  
I think they did a heck of a job. Sometimes change is just like a fart in the wind it smells at first but its gone fast.
dearslayer
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
20 Jul 2007 02:33 PM  
Had a hard time getting one the first time. But seems to be going better this time . This is just like everthing else change is good most of the time just takes some getting used to. Never gonna please everyone thats just the way of the world right
rackaholic1989
6 Point
6 Point

--
20 Jul 2007 06:16 PM  
its workin good for me
If Its Brown It's Down!
Ronald Ray Jr.
6 Point
6 Point

--
24 Jul 2007 01:49 PM  
Posted By MelSue on 07/18/2007 7:18 PM
My suggestion to everyone who wants to save posts from the old site while it is being looked into..... Use the above link to the old forums and start copying and pasting them on your computers or printing them. I went back and printed my favorite ones.

Wow!!! Melsue you must make some pretty good money to afford to print out all of your favorite threads that were posted. I myself being an Unemployed Disabled Veteran can't afford to print out all of my favorite topics. That is why I subscribed to them in the Old forum so that all I had to do was go to my Subscribtion page and then look for what I wanted to look at.

I think this is what the guys are talking about, and they don't want to have all the paperwork laying around their home or office. I mean that is what the computers were suppose to be for, To cut down on the paperwork and have an easy way to file them. Most of us had a great file for our hunting information, it was in the old forum.

I don't see why they couldn't just update the old forum page, I mean some of the other forums I go to sometimes, updated their webpage without having to start over again and without lossing any of the old threads.
Ronald Lee Ray Jr.
rrjr11@cox.net
Disabled Navy Veteran
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

Active Forums 4.2
Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! Join Buckmasters Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!