Register  | Login
  Search

Buckmasters Forums

Antelope killed at 117 yds with a bow
Last Post 26 Nov 2009 11:07 PM by mark14. 63 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 4 << < 1234 > >>
Author Messages
Ronald Ray Jr.
6 Point
6 Point

--
18 Sep 2007 07:14 AM  
AMEN willy!!!

What I was saying above, I was not saying the guy was an Ahole. I just don't think that a hunter should give these anti's a reason to come after us hunters. Yes he made the shot, and yes he practice for shots longer than than that. GREAT!!! But had that deer moved just a little bit it would have been a wounded deer and not dinner on a plate.

Some people see that deer and get deer fever and jump the gun. That is why I haven't gotten a deer yet in the 3 deer seasons I have been hunting now. I don't want to jump the gun just because I see a deer and end up only wounding the deer. I have seen lots of deer while I am out there. And I think I could have made the of the shots. But I didn't because I did not want to chance it. So I never took any of these shots that I could have. I want something within 40 yards.
Ronald Lee Ray Jr.
rrjr11@cox.net
Disabled Navy Veteran
kmehaffey
6 Point
6 Point

--
18 Sep 2007 12:47 PM  
The Anti Hunting groups ,work every day,to try to ban hunting,When jerks like the guy that shot the antelope,at 117yards,Brag about UNETHICAL shots, it justs gives the antis, more ammuniton to continue there fight to BAN hunting,Now what part of that statement dont you understand? Archery is and always has been a,Short range style of hunting!Bows are not made to make 117yard shots,RIFLES are! Would you try to make a 300yard shot with your slug gun or your snub nose 38,If you would,You also need to study the definition of the word ETHICS!
Bad ethics in hunting will lead to it's demise,If you dont think so, Your sadly mistaken.
droptine06
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
18 Sep 2007 01:02 PM  
the way I understand it an antelope is smaller than a whitetale deer, and if so how big of a target is i'ts vital's ?
Hillbilly Willy
Today is the day the Lord hath made, I will rejoice and be glad in it
Eric
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
19 Sep 2007 09:48 AM  
At 117 yards, very small and when you release that arrow...all you can do is pray. Not a good representation of the average hunter. When are these people(producers) going to realize that if they truly want a good audience to watch their shows...it needs to be under fair chance, hunting ethically in realistic conditions.

What is this teaching our younger generations about hunting? That this is an ok shot and every time you go into the field your going to harvest a P&Y buck or the hunt has to be deemed a failer? Come on guys, get with the program!
The Bulldog
Forum Moderator
6 Point
6 Point

--
20 Sep 2007 05:03 AM  
Kmehaffey, in my opinion Hunters turning on hunters will lead to the demise of hunting.  The antis are going to hate what we do regardless of the yardage.  You could shoot it at 10 yards and they would criticize.  Further in my opinion the archers in what I consider the medevil time in history could probably knock off a 117 yard shot or what have you.  Except it would be on a man.  What I mean a bow has not always been used for short yardages. 
Now if your like me at all, you know that you can't pull off a shot like that.  I can except that a shot like that is well past my limitations.  However I don't feel the need to criticize or name call a hunter who's capabillities are at a higher level then mine.  The guy practiced long distance shots, he new what he was up against.  Could the deer have moved and been wounded...Sure, but he also could do the same at 30 yards.  You have to be willing to take that chance, and be willing to live with the consequences of your actions.  But if we were that worried about wounding animals we could be like our anti enemies and just stay at home.  Hmmmm.  When we knock a hunter does that make us become an anti hunter?
Posted By Kmehaffey on 09/18/2007 6:47 AM
The Anti Hunting groups ,work every day,to try to ban hunting,When jerks like the guy that shot the antelope,at 117yards,Brag about UNETHICAL shots, it justs gives the antis, more ammuniton to continue there fight to BAN hunting,Now what part of that statement dont you understand? Archery is and always has been a,Short range style of hunting!Bows are not made to make 117yard shots,RIFLES are! Would you try to make a 300yard shot with your slug gun or your snub nose 38,If you would,You also need to study the definition of the word ETHICS!
Bad ethics in hunting will lead to it's demise,If you dont think so, Your sadly mistaken.

droptine06
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
20 Sep 2007 08:06 PM  
I'm not calling anyone anything
but if your in a crowd and someone throw's a rock at a hornet's nest do you think the hornet's are going after that one person? if you do your wrong
Hillbilly Willy
The Bulldog
Forum Moderator
6 Point
6 Point

--
20 Sep 2007 10:34 PM  
Wow Willy, that might be one of the better points made. Good Job.
I still don't feel the need to down the hunter for his shot or what have you. And I still feel that the anti's will go after any hunter regardless, and truth be told there is a lot of other hunting methods that seem more brutal so to speak then that, but I still won't knock the hunters. I personally don't really desire to go hunt a hog with a knife, some might say it is brutal, I say it takes guts, determination, and dedication, or a lack of brains, probably not really, and no offense to them that hunt this way. Now the antis are going to go after that type of hunting method. If that method of hunting became illegal, it would not affect me directly, but it actually would. The Antis would be that much closer to getting my type of hunting illegal. Do you see my point? Just because we might not always agree, we should stand together as hunters and back our fellow hunter. If we go against a hunter or there methods weather we agree or not we are helping the antis in a way. Does that make any sense at all?
pjk8867
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
21 Sep 2007 01:19 AM  
I am from utah and am  familiar with both the animal and the unit in which it was killed.
First off, it is mostly flat with a few shallow revene's that you can use for cover.
The tallest brush up there is about 18" tall. There are a few pockets of pine or aspen but antelope mostly avoid those because their best defenses are  their sight ( equal to 10 power scope) and their speed. (top out around 40 mph) They are very simalar in size to a adult whtetail, and they are about as smart as a box of rocks.
 The wind hardly ever blows there, and it is usually very hot during the archery season. Best way to hunt them is over a water hole, where your shots are usually between 30 to 40 yards sometimes longer if there has been a recent rain and filled up the pond. Then you could be looking at a shot pushing 60 yards. 
I also practice daily with excellent equiptment. I even practice out to 150 yards, but that is just to challenge myself.  The furthest I will shoot at an animal is at 50 yards or less and I have only shot from 50 once. And yes I did harvest the animal, he went 10 yards and dropped dead.

Now do i think his shot was ethical? For me and the people I hunt with, no.
For him? Who am I to judge.

I dont like rap music, but I dont tell the neihbor kid he cant listen to it.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
PJK.
May the hunting Gods be with you.
rackmaster4413
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
21 Sep 2007 02:00 AM  
i got a mathews outback and sometimes i dont even feel comfortable at 50yds that dude is a freakin idiot
kmehaffey
6 Point
6 Point

--
21 Sep 2007 03:54 AM  
Bulldog
I'm sorry, but i must admit,That 117yard shot was very ethical! from this day on ,I'll only take shots that will prove to be a low percentage shot !And I hope that all that agree with that Highly ethical Antelope hunter. will do the same .I realize that I was wrong ,so I ask for your forgiveness. I also didn't realize that we still live in midevil times and that our lives were in jepordy from raiders ,such as the Romans,This archery season I'll keep my eyes and ears open,there might be some Spartans in this part of Pa.
The Bulldog
Forum Moderator
6 Point
6 Point

--
21 Sep 2007 05:30 AM  
Thanks, I needed a good laugh.  You probably don't need to worry about the Spartans but more so about the other hunters in the woods.  At any rate lets agree to disagree, and move fourth, and keep our eyes and ears open. 
I will say this, the shot might have been a low percentage shot for most, but there are some that probably could nail that shot just fine.  I know for myself it would be a no percentage shot. 

Posted By Kmehaffey on 09/20/2007 9:54 PM
Bulldog
I'm sorry, but i must admit,That 117yard shot was very ethical! from this day on ,I'll only take shots that will prove to be a low percentage shot !And I hope that all that agree with that Highly ethical Antelope hunter. will do the same .I realize that I was wrong ,so I ask for your forgiveness. I also didn't realize that we still live in midevil times and that our lives were in jepordy from raiders ,such as the Romans,This archery season I'll keep my eyes and ears open,there might be some Spartans in this part of Pa.

droptine06
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
21 Sep 2007 06:55 PM  
I am 100% behind anyone that is a hunter even if I disagree with something done by them except illeagle activity
Now, if I offended anyone please accept my most heart felt apology, I am very sorry if I hurt you in any way
and I agree that we should ageree to disagree. I personaly would not have taken the shot.
I just want to give the anti's any thing to raise an eyebrow at.
again I'm verry sorry Hillbilly Willy
Hillbilly Willy
Trey
6 Point
6 Point

--
22 Sep 2007 04:40 AM  
There are alot more deer shot thru the stomach,in the leg, in the rump, or run off to die and never found that were shot at 20 yards. This guy evidently has practiced for years to take this shot and was comfortable doing it. I say a hell of a good shot. Now on the other hand I wouldn't take a 40 yard shot because I do not practice at that range. Why would you guys say it was unethical when you know good and well we have all taken shots myself included that we wish we could take back.
4x4
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
22 Sep 2007 05:04 AM  
IMO 117 yard Bow kill don't impress me in the least
Its the "Hunter" that can consistantly kill animals 15 yards and under that is truly impressive
droptine06
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
24 Sep 2007 01:26 AM  
Posted By willy on 09/21/2007 12:55 PM
I am 100% behind anyone that is a hunter even if I disagree with something done by them except illeagle activity
Now, if I offended anyone please accept my most heart felt apology, I am very sorry if I hurt you in any way
and I agree that we should ageree to disagree. I personaly would not have taken the shot.
I just want to give the anti's any thing to raise an eyebrow at.
again I'm verry sorry Hillbilly Willy

I mean I DON'T want to give the anti's anything to rais an eye brow at
Hillbilly Willy
ontarioben
6 Point
6 Point

--
25 Sep 2007 02:19 AM  
takes alot of practice to be able to make a long distance shot like that, unethical, yes but not any worse than shooting varmits at 600yrds.
Deerhunter
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
30 Sep 2007 05:14 PM  
Not to get off this subject but PSE owner Pete Sheply has a video he shot a mule deer @ 103 yards
for a person who owns a company to shoot or even video a shot like that should be ashamed of him self...

I would never even think about buying anything from that company because his ethics are way off base.
Bows are made for short range and never that long anything can happen with the flight of the arrow @  100 yards.

I wonder how many where wounded before they hit gold on both animals ?????
They are not sportsman in my eyes and anything they say wont change that.

heck they even disabled the comments and erased all the bad ones that video had
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8MlzJDcOv8
kmehaffey
6 Point
6 Point

--
30 Sep 2007 06:00 PM  
deerhunter
I agree with you 100%, but others here don't, It's not a question of Skill,It's a question of ETHICS.Some people have no Ethics, and they are the people that give HUNTING a bad rap!!!!!! If that guy would have only wounded that Antelope,The ANTIs would have had a field day with that.And others like you and me ,would pay for it the rest of our lives!!!!!!!! The ANTIs work very hard ,every day trying to have all types of hunting and fishing BANNED,and it is jerks like those two that are helping the Anti hunting movement achieve their goal.And none of us TRUE SPORTSMEN need these kind of jerks associated,with us. If this coment angers anyone So be it! UNETHICAL HUNTING ANGERS ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!+
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
30 Sep 2007 07:47 PM  
I aslo agreeit's not a question of skill,it's a question of ethics.True, the guy is an amazing shot and he practices alot,but that is on targets .It's like I told Bulldog,i try to see both sides of this,but it just don't sit right with me.
Tubby
The God of My Rock;He Is My Sheild;And The Horn Of My Salvation 2 Samuuel,Ch 22
dman95
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
09 Jan 2009 08:02 PM  
every other day i shoot my bow out to 80 yards and not to brag but i consider myself pretty good at that range i have a 5 to  6 inch group on average out at that range, with that being said there is know way im lettin go on an animal at more then then 50 yards and i am from south dakota so i know how hard it is to get them close out here but isnt that the point of the sport the challange of hunting there is just to many things that can go wrong and i dont care how much u practice how much money u spend on ur equipment or how good u think u are one thing is for certain you are still human. 
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 4 << < 1234 > >>

Active Forums 4.2
Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! Join Buckmasters Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!