Register  | Login
  Search
Buckmasters Forums
Antelope killed at 117 yds with a bow
Last Post 26 Nov 2009 11:07 PM by mark14. 63 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 4 << < 1234 > >>
Author Messages
WANTABIGBUCK
12 Point
12 Point

--
06 Sep 2007 06:42 PM  
BULL DOG I WOULD TAKE A SHOT LIKE THAT IF I KNEW I COULD DO IT BUT IT SEEMS LIKE IT WOULD BE VERY HARD.MY HUSBAND CAN SHOT HIS CROSSBOW AT 125 YRS AND HAS KILLED DEER AT THE DISTANCE BUT SEEMS SO HARD WITH A REG. BOW PLUS THE FACT THE AN ANIAML ISN`T GOING TO STAND STILL BUT SO LONG.I WOILD LIKE TO SEE IT BEING DONE NOT SAYING IT CAN`T.
Chuckwagon Sam

--
07 Sep 2007 01:52 AM  
Would I shoot an animal with a bow at 50 yds.? No. Why because I don't feel comfortable at that distance. But I've been hittin' the bulls eye at 40 and I'll take that shot. Some guys always do the extreme. But if practiced and prepared, with the right equipment who knows. I saw an Olympian archer shoot 6 arrows into a bullseye at 100 yds. 30 years ago with a recurve. Look at the equipment today. I just bought the Pse x force and it does what none of my bows to date do. I can shoot out to 30 yds. with the same pin. At 40 it's only a 1" drop. And there is stuff out there for professional and competition archers we don't even know about. I would not try the shot, but I did not practice at 130 yds.
hoody06
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
07 Sep 2007 01:55 AM  
how can you even see an antelope's vitals at that distance to even know where to put
the pin. even magnified sights are not that good.
thwack is the only sound i want to hear from sept to feb!!!
Mississippi
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
09 Sep 2007 02:07 AM  
The fact of the matter is this. It doesnt matter if you can do it a 99 times in a row, on that hundreth time the deer might take a step. One step at one hundred yards and you just shot him in the gut. You sure this wasnt Tred Barta? This sounds like a shot he would take! If its hard to get close, use a gun. Try this, find a field and shoot an arrow almost straight up. Watch the way the wind moves it around before it lands. Now shoot an arrow a hundred yards out and you can watch the same thing. Shoot 3D as far as you want, but you should have more respect for the animals than that. Oh, and as far as getting close to the deer, my great grand father was a Comanche Indian on the same land and they didnt have a choice, their equipment made them get close. I know he wouldnt have tried that shot and they did it to survive.
"Only perfect practice makes perfect, anything else just gets you good at being bad."
Antlermass
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
09 Sep 2007 04:40 AM  
Some people take all the fun out of hunting. They  turn everything into a competion. Who can shoot the furthest, the biggest or the most. That just is not what most of us are about, just because hunting is refered to as a sport does not mean we need to treat it like one! Shots like that are for "braggin rights" and nothing more. I think it is a great and comendable achievment to make a good shot on a 3D target at extended ranges, it shows experiance and a intamate knowledge of your weapon. To take those kind of shots at a living creature shows a lack of respect for the animale and the people who have worked hard keep the image of the hunter in the best light possible.
kmehaffey
6 Point
6 Point

--
11 Sep 2007 08:48 AM  
This ying yang that calls himself a hunter is nothing more than a slob! He practices twice a week! AT A STATIONARY TARGET! Not a game animal, There are too many variables in bow hunting,Especially the wind! I've hunted Colorado,numerous times and there were winds! He should pick up a dictionary,and study the defination of ETHICS,Maybe he might be able to retain something from it? I practice 3 to 4 time a week, and would never take a shot over 40yards,but then again ,I practice good Ethics!
Ronald Ray Jr.
6 Point
6 Point

--
11 Sep 2007 09:44 AM  

I agree with what everyone said, I would not take that shot no matter how good I am.

I see where someone tried to post the video for this thing. But it did not work for me. I don't know about anyone else. What I really want to know is, was this the true distant or was it the angled distant? I mean if I am understanding this right, it sounds like he was shooting from a treestand.

From what I was told and understood, if you are shooting from a treestand you do not go by the angled distant, you still go by the distant from the base of the tree. Now I am not that good with math, so I don't know how high in the tree he would have had to been to make the base distant of 40 yards and an angle distant of 117. Or the same thing for 50 yards. But who knows how it was.

If it was true distant and not the angled yard then, he did go a little to far as ethics goes. I think it was truly unethical if is was a true distant of 117 yards. You maybe be able to shoot 120 or more yards but you shouldn't shot an animal at far, because by the time the arrow travels that far that animal could have moved, even just a little and now the animal is hurt, and possible now has an arrow stuck in him/it.

As I said I would NEVER shot at that distant, not even half that. I mean I know half is only a little more than 58 yards. But so far the farthest I have shot at a target is 40 yards. And I don't even have a pin for 40 yards. My pins on my bow are set at 10, 20 and 30 yards. I did hit the bullseye at 40 the few times I have done it, but I don't think I would do even try 40 on a deer or what ever. Especially since I have only owned and being shooting a bow for a little over 2 years.

Ronald Lee Ray Jr.
rrjr11@cox.net
Disabled Navy Veteran
PGHHunter
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
11 Sep 2007 08:33 PM  
A kill is a kill. I would never have took that shot or a shot over 30 yards. The fact is he practiced until he knew he could make the shot and he made it... I understand all about respect for the animals and thats why I wouldn't attempt that shot. Why do some people say bad things about someone just because they are good at what they do. There is a lot people who said that the 890 yard shot with the gun was a great shot but to me there is not much of a difference. A 117 yards with a bow or A 890 Yard with a gun are both exceptionally hard shots and when you practice hard and KNOW you can make the shot then why not.
YOU GOTTA WANT IT!!!!!
George, Pennsylvania
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
11 Sep 2007 09:29 PM  
Personally,I don't think either one is hunting,I would call it grand standing.
Tubby
The God of My Rock;He Is My Sheild;And The Horn Of My Salvation 2 Samuuel,Ch 22
Dobber
8 Point
8 Point

--
12 Sep 2007 07:25 PM  
not sure i would try such a shot but if i did i would want to know the following, what is the kinetic energy at the point of impact.
One of the best crossbows made show a chart to reflect the kinetic energy and bolt drop, shooting a bow that pushes 350fps at 50 yards has a drop of 21" a loss of 26 fps and another loss of 15# of kinetic energy.

Studies recommend that an arrow deliver 25 to 39 foot-pounds of energy to kill animals with thin hides and light bones. If you're after large game with thick hides, your bow should deliver 40 to 80 foot-pounds of energy. If you seek boxcar-sized African animals, you'd better eat your Wheaties. Theoretically, you need 80 to 129 foot-pounds of energy.

If you know what your doing and have the answers then why not try it, many people put boosters in their vehicles just so they can drive faster than the speed limit.

doeslayer
6 Point
6 Point

--
12 Sep 2007 07:59 PM  
I agree with kmehaffey this guys an ######
wake me up early, be good to my dogs and teach my children to pray.
Ronald Ray Jr.
6 Point
6 Point

--
13 Sep 2007 11:59 AM  
Posted By PGHHunter on 09/11/2007 2:33 PM
A kill is a kill. I would never have took that shot or a shot over 30 yards. The fact is he practiced until he knew he could make the shot and he made it... I understand all about respect for the animals and thats why I wouldn't attempt that shot. Why do some people say bad things about someone just because they are good at what they do. There is a lot people who said that the 890 yard shot with the gun was a great shot but to me there is not much of a difference. A 117 yards with a bow or A 890 Yard with a gun are both exceptionally hard shots and when you practice hard and KNOW you can make the shot then why not.

A bullet moves a lot faster than an arrow does. I have never seen anyone catch an bullet, but I have seen lots of people catch an arrow with their hands.

And not get hurt!!!
Ronald Lee Ray Jr.
rrjr11@cox.net
Disabled Navy Veteran
diggerdave
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
13 Sep 2007 05:03 PM  

okay,

you call this guy a a-hole but you guys are sounding like a bunch of self-righteous a-holes!!!!!!!

i would not take the shot but he was sure of his ability so be it!!!!!!

what will do hunting in faster than anything is us hunters fighting one another!!!! the antis just love it when we self implode!!!!!!!!!!

i dont begrudge anyone there god given right to free speech, but dont have holier than now attitude about it, that is not called free speech but rather complete arrogance!!!!!!!!!!!

my opinion,,,

diggerdave

tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
13 Sep 2007 05:12 PM  
I don't think the guy is an #*%@#,but I do question the ethics behind the shot.In my opinion archery is a close in sport.
Tubby
diggerdave
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
13 Sep 2007 05:19 PM  
tubby,
i apologize!
i was to broad in  my statement.
i did not have a problem with what you said!
actually i agree with what you said!!!!!!
i had a problem with the tone and arrogance of some of  the posts!! not allposts!!!!
sorry tubby!

diggerdave
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
13 Sep 2007 05:24 PM  
No problem dave.I can't speak for all the posts,but what concerned me was how this looks to those outside our sport that look for ways to condem us.
Tubby
The Bulldog
Forum Moderator
6 Point
6 Point

--
13 Sep 2007 11:15 PM  
Tubby, in my respectful opinion, you seem to worry too much about what our anti enemies think. They are antis you don't have to give them a reason to condemn us, they will find one. You could shoot a deer drop it dead instantly, and our anti enemies will find a reason to condemn, or look down upon us for that. They would rather the animals starve then us control the population. We as hunters in my opinion need to quit worrying so much about what the antis think as far as what we are doing. This guy took a shot that most, if not all of us would be incapable of taking, he took the animal, the antis are going to hate him regardless of the distance. Why should we worry about what people that hate our lifestyle are going to think? Why should we as hunters hate one of our own? Just because we don't all agree with his choice does that give us the right to call him names? When we take the low road like that on one of our own are we not becoming the anti hunter ourselves?
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
13 Sep 2007 11:37 PM  
Bulldog,I don't hate the guy by any stretch and your prespective sheds light on a different side of the story,but again I don't think it's a question of ability,in my opinion it just a bad shot choice.I never called the man names,some opinions where more harsh than others.
You are 100 % correct when you say we as hunters need to stick together.
Tubby
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
13 Sep 2007 11:42 PM  
I try to look at this from both sides,but it just didn't sit right with me.Well worded post Bulldog.
Tubby
droptine06
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
17 Sep 2007 04:40 PM  
I agree with everyone that disagreed with this mans ethics to me we need to do EVERYTHING POSSABLE to protect our sport and (heritage) of hunting. and I'm glad that he killed this animal because had he just wounded it ALL HUNTER'S would be blamed. my ancesters are cherokee and I'm proud to be of Indian decent and I agree that our forfathers would have never taken that kind of risk, their families depended on them bringing home the kill to survive. any way you look at it it was wrong to take a shot that far

Hillbilly willy
Hillbilly Willy
Today is the day the Lord hath made, I will rejoice and be glad in it
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 4 << < 1234 > >>

Active Forums 4.2
Pay Your Bill Online Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! LinkedIn Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!