Register  | Login
  Search
Buckmasters Forums
New law
Last Post 02 Sep 2007 03:13 AM by WANTABIGBUCK. 11 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Ronald Ray Jr.
6 Point
6 Point

--
17 Aug 2007 10:22 AM  
Iowa has a new law that says,

"
Blaze Orange Required on Ground Blinds

Ground blinds used for hunting deer during the regular gun deer seasons must have a solid blaze orange marking visible in all directions with a minimum height of 12 inches and a minimum width of 12 inches."

If you go to
http://www.iowadnr.com/wildlife/index.html
You can see the thing there below the picture on the right column.

Does any other state have this law? Whether new or not?

And what is your feelings on this? I myself think it is a good idea. I mean I have always wondered how a hunter can see a ground blind at a distance. Now with this the hunter in the blind don't have to worry about being shot at by another hunter. I think is should be for any kind of hunting myself though, not just deer hunting. As worded in the report at the Iowa DNR website.

Ronald Lee Ray Jr.
rrjr11@cox.net
Disabled Navy Veteran
Mississippi
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
17 Aug 2007 11:11 AM  
I think it's ridiculous that wearing orange even needs to be an issue, much less a law. If hunters were taking the time to make a clean, accurate shot, then there would be no doubt what you were shooting at. Target identification, as well as knowing what is behind your target, are basic fundamentals that every hunter should know. However, in todays society, expecting the general public to use commen sence is like spitting in the wind. Therefore,  theres no doubt that it is a good idea. The only question is should it be a law. I say yes for one reason, children. If you want to take that chance, go ahead, but at least the law will make parents be responsible for their kids. I do however, think that you should be able to take it off once your a certain height above the ground. If you get shot in a tree,wearing orange wouldnt have helped you. Yes, I know deer are supposed to be color blind and all that, but I have a hard time spending a couple hundred bucks on camo and then covering it up with orange. Just doesnt add up to me.
"Only perfect practice makes perfect, anything else just gets you good at being bad."
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
17 Aug 2007 12:24 PM  
Here in Alabama,you are required to wear at least 144 square inches of hunter orange unless you are at least 12 feet off the ground.
I also agree that some people these days don't use any common sense.I for one have been taught safety comes first and I have taught my wife and son the same.I won't hunt with people who don't identify a target and make sure it's safe to shoot before doing so.
Tubby
The God of My Rock;He Is My Sheild;And The Horn Of My Salvation 2 Samuuel,Ch 22
cb
8 Point
8 Point

--
17 Aug 2007 12:47 PM  
In Ohio we are still allowed to wear camo orange which breaks up the outline of the orange. Deer do not recognize the color orange but they do recognize a solid block of ANY color when it should not be there,-like up in a tree or sitting in a brushpile.
I don't like the idea of wearing orange to hunt all game. That would really mess up the duck, goose and turkey hunting.
As stated in previous posts, If you know what you are shooting at and do not take iffy shots, then there would be no reason for having to make the law.
I also feel that each person should be able to make the choice as to wear orange or not. But to put a big orange flag on your blind that you bought for concealment is rediculuos. We may as well the brushpiles that are for sale in another topic area on BT, and drag them to the woods to set in. At least you would be able to break up your body outline.
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
17 Aug 2007 12:54 PM  
i should have been a little more clear on the orange,we only have to wear it during deer sesaon.
Tubby
Vandy
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
17 Aug 2007 03:19 PM  
Never used a ground blind, but had never thought of that before. With the way people are, I definately think it is a good idea and would support that if it were a law in MD (It may already be, I'm not sure).
Mike Zukas
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
17 Aug 2007 05:47 PM  
Hey Mississippi,  I hate to say it but not all hunters are as responsible as we are.  What you are saying is right, but if I'm out there alone or with my son or daughter, I want any other hunter out there to be able to see something and know that I'm out there.  I thought of putting one of my orange stocking caps on top of the ground blind once I'm in there.  It's the law in IL, but being inside there you wouldn't be visible.   
Mike Zukas
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
17 Aug 2007 05:49 PM  
I mean it's the law to wear the orange during firearm season in IL, not having it on the ground blind. Didn't want to confuse the issue.
Ronald Ray Jr.
6 Point
6 Point

--
18 Aug 2007 07:07 AM  

I think some people are not understanding what was posted. This is not about wearing hunters orange on the body. It is about Ground Blinds that Iowa now says must have a 12"X12" spot on it that is view able from any directions.

Yes, the hunter inside the blind might be wearing Orange but if he is inside the blind how are you going to see the hunter or the orange? And some blinds are pretty well Camouflage. So it could blend in pretty good into the back drop if the hunter knows what they are doing. So to me all the orange on the blind is helping make sure that a hunter sees the blind and knows that it is there, so that they know what is beyond the target. And the Iowa law does not say that is has to be on top, or a flag. So from my understanding you just have to have a 12X12 thing on all sides of the Ground Blind.

Ronald Lee Ray Jr.
rrjr11@cox.net
Disabled Navy Veteran
PINETREE
8 Point
8 Point

--
29 Aug 2007 08:37 PM  
IT IS BULL BUT WITH SO MANY UNSAFE HUNTERS OUT THERE I THINK I WOULD USE THE ORANGE..TO BE EXTRA SAFE....
MIKE EVERETT
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
31 Aug 2007 07:53 PM  
I agree,it's a shame that some people don't pay enough attention.I would rather be safe than sorry.
Tubby
WANTABIGBUCK
12 Point
12 Point

--
02 Sep 2007 03:13 AM  
NOT SURE ABOUT IT HERE IN VA BUT DO BELIEVE THE WAY SOME SHOTS GO THUR THE WOODS IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEAL SO THE SHOOTERS WILL SEE THAT THERE MAY BE A PERSON THERE AND NOT FIRE IN THAT DIRECTION
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Pay Your Bill Online Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! LinkedIn Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!