Register  | Login
  Search

Buckmasters Forums

3 spots thousand of acres..what to do?
Last Post 28 Oct 2009 01:10 AM by jaz. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
jaz
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
26 Oct 2009 02:06 AM  

ok so i hunt litterally thousands of acres. i have had land i knew posted so have to go into new territory. 1 spot i know pretty well but have only seen 1 buck there, before gun season a few years ago. the 2nd spot has been posted for years but i believe it is no longer posted. the 3rd spot i just went to today didn't see much of any sign at all. i have not been into the 2nd spot at all but have hunted the back side of it..other side of mountian..there is litteraly thousand of acres and only few deer, which sometimes seems like none at all. any ideas on what to do? remember all three spots are basically linked together but miles apart. any help would be great

wellshunts65807
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
26 Oct 2009 06:29 AM  
I'm no expert by any means but if ther are a few spots where you could implement gathering places ( Food plots, mineral stations ect. something to bring them out of the wood work so to speak and that way you can maybe get some trail cam pics and find out whos there and what they are up to and maybe modify ther behavior and bring them to a few spots to make it a sucessfull situation. good luck!
Jackie Wells
jaz
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
26 Oct 2009 10:56 PM  

Thanks Jackie unfortunatlly not much time till deer season to do all that. i'm guessin a lot of foot work like always. Talked to a butcher the other day normally he had cut up 17-20 deer by the end of the second week of bow season. so far this year he has only cut up 3-4. Vermont hunting is and never will be the caliber that the mid west has to offer. Between people jacking deer (one guy got caught with 8 deer cut up in his freezer before bow season). Here in vermont "baiting deer is against the law also (11 busted for hunting over bait piles opening day of bow season).to give you an idea of how many deer i saw driving 300 miles on back dirt roads and walking in the wooods, = 2. They were both buck on posted property and only saw them cause i went fishing. I didn't catch any fish either btw. Again thanks Jackie. Bob

wellshunts65807
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
27 Oct 2009 07:43 AM  
Well jaz i understand Ispent about five years of my early hunting expieriance listening to others talk about how they saw massive bucks and had these awesomely sucessful hunts and resenting them that I wasn't seeing the quality or quantity of deer they were. It wasn't untill I started watching the Outdoor channel as a young man that i realized that i could control the quality of the deer I was huntingand their enviroment and nutrition through proper herd management that i started understanding that someone was doing all the work for them and now I can up the anty so to speak and harvest quality animals not through baiting but through proper food source placement and better nutrition like raiseing cattle and increase the outcoom and quality of the animals I was taking. I sure hope you find sucess and maybe next year we can work together on a plan to make your hunting land the best in the south. Thanks again Jackie
Jackie Wells
jaz
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
28 Oct 2009 01:10 AM  
Hey jackie thanks for the "pep" talk so to speak. i go out year after year and never have sucsess. i have passed up many yearling spikes you couldn't shake a stick at. as far as "monster" whitetail i have only seen 1 live one in about 24 years of hunting. i'm no little boy and put on many miles in the woods but never seem to come up with much if any sign. the further i can get back in the woods the happier i am because i know not many will be out there. if i can get 3 to 4 miles out that is the best i never see anyone out that far. my father has about 20 acres or so and posted property all over and around his. he has a nice swath of woods alond a dirt road to act as a funnel and some fields that u can't see into unless you are in the field. there is a swampy boggy area with some ceder trees and pine the furthest back corner is a area of hardwoods. in that area i have seen a little sign but come hunting season nothing ever shows up. i guess that vermont is just dead. i am planning on a food plot in one of the fields and making a watering hole in the swammpy area which is so thick a mouse can't get through. well hunting season is in 2 weeks and i need to figure out what days i'm going to be "sick". LOL i hope to have a story or two in a few weeks. thanks for the chatting jackie and good luck to you. jaz
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! Join Buckmasters Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!