Register  | Login
  Search

Buckmasters Forums

Gun case laws
Last Post 08 Dec 2010 05:53 PM by tubby. 13 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
kerry larson
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
31 Jan 2009 01:33 PM  
I came from Minnesota where they still have a gun case law and they are now thinking about going to a no case law.  The DNR does not like the idea do to hunting accidents.  I live in kansas and I have a bunch of friends from North Dakota that hunt with the no case law and I dont seem to hear about many hunting accidents in these states.  I think its the hunter that is unsafe not the case.  What do you all think?
rebel deer hunter
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
06 Feb 2009 08:52 PM  
what do you mean by case law? you have to have the gun in a case while you hunt? or you have to have it in a case at home?
SOUTHERN PRIDE
kerry larson
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
07 Feb 2009 03:53 PM  
I mean case laws while hunting or transporting firearms.  Sorry if it was not clear what I was trying to state.
rebel deer hunter
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
08 Feb 2009 01:32 AM  
I keep mine in a case while driving out to were im hunting so it doesnt get banged around and keeps it and the scope safe, I dont think it should be a law thought
SOUTHERN PRIDE
Dakota Danny
6 Point
6 Point

--
08 Feb 2009 07:09 PM  
I think Minnesota has a particularly strict case law. I've never read up on it, but the guys I hunt with have always had their gun cased inside a vehicle. That could mean the ride across the field to pick-up someone's downed deer.

For the most part I agree with that kind of rules. It does a few things that you're not considering:

1. Safety - obviously seen here
2. Protect wildlife - such strict rules with stiff penalties prevent people from shooting from vehicles. Those who are "road hunting" are violating the law just by riding with a vehicle open in plain sight
3. image- cased vehicles will help promote the image of hunting as a field sport. Not a bunch of mercenary looking fellows in the back of the truck waiting to shoot anything that moves. Imagine 10 hunters with guns out in the open...to the hunting indifferent, this looks menacing. You may be the safest 10 people, but with camo and guns at the ready, you could easily look like trouble.

That's my thought. Even when law isn't required, keep the guns up...
kmehaffey
6 Point
6 Point

--
08 Feb 2009 08:00 PM  
#3 is stereotyping,and that aint right, just ask a person of color ! Road hunters aren't hunters ,they are slobs and do more to hurt the image of True ethical hunters than an uncased firearm !
Dakota Danny
6 Point
6 Point

--
09 Feb 2009 05:12 AM  
kmehaffey,

a case law makes it more difficult for big-game road hunters to operate. That was my point.

I feel as people who hunt, our weapons should be put away when we enter a vehicle or go into town. An uncased firearm in public would make it difficult to discern the difference between an ethical hunter with an uncased firearm, and a road hunter. Whether it is right or not, I feel a positive image of this sport is necessary. The people in town aren't out in the field to see our actions, they see camoflage and weapons.

FinishCharlie
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
03 Sep 2009 06:53 AM  
I've known a few "road hunters" here in Missouri and I think a case law would be a good thing here just to prevent that if nothing else.
Matthews Switchback
PINETREE
8 Point
8 Point

--
23 Oct 2009 08:38 PM  
if they are not worried about getting cought shooting a deer at night or off the road then they sure are not worried about getting cought with a gun out of a case.........
MIKE EVERETT
JBinMontana
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
31 Oct 2009 01:15 PM  
Here in Montana, there is no such law, but I make it a policy that anyone getting into my truck unloads the chamber of any rifle. My truck, my policy and those that don't abide by it walk or drive their own.
JB
Avid lover of the 7mm-08
rossnov09
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
07 Nov 2009 11:10 AM  

Hello,

can you explian it in detail that what type of gun case  you have.

south carolina hunting

Rugermk2
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
08 Nov 2009 12:46 AM  

Hi all,

Illinois has a law that requires you to have your gun in a case that is zipped, or buckled at all times while in a vehicle. Furthermore, the gun has to be unloaded. Where people get off thinking it is going to help stop poaching is beyond me. By the time you get pulled over, the gun could already be unloaded and case zipped like its supposed to be. If people want to poach, a law that says you have to have your firearm zipped or "cased" isnt going to make a difference. They probably don't care, and more than likely wouldn't do it in the wide open for everyone to see anyways. I think it should be up to the hunter, not some politician, or "lawmakers" who have probably never shot a gun let alone know how to use one. Just my 2 cents!     I abide by the law just because I don't feel like getting a fine over something as stupid as a gun in a case.

brk49er
Monitored User
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
05 Dec 2010 08:53 PM  
interesting, never knew of such a law, especially in alabama. I keep a .22 rifle in my truck at all times. We have a good bit of land and several ponds, i often just pull off the road to one of our ponds and shoot snakes, beavers, and turtles. Yeah im sure I'll get grief about this but its my pond and I dont want too many snakes, turtles, and NO beavers in it. Beavers are the most destructive animal I've ever encountered. Plus I shoot coyotees, dont have time to be foolin with a case.
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
08 Dec 2010 05:53 PM  

Posted By brk49er on 05 Dec 2010 02:53 PM
interesting, never knew of such a law, especially in alabama. I keep a .22 rifle in my truck at all times. We have a good bit of land and several ponds, i often just pull off the road to one of our ponds and shoot snakes, beavers, and turtles. Yeah im sure I'll get grief about this but its my pond and I dont want too many snakes, turtles, and NO beavers in it. Beavers are the most destructive animal I've ever encountered. Plus I shoot coyotees, dont have time to be foolin with a case.

I know what you mean.....if there is yote in our pasture,no time for digging a gun from a case.I also live in Alabama and when I leave to go hunting,my rifle is sitting next to me.
Tubby
The God of My Rock;He Is My Sheild;And The Horn Of My Salvation 2 Samuuel,Ch 22
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! Join Buckmasters Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!