Register  | Login
  Search

Buckmasters Forums

my feet are freezing
Last Post 10 Dec 2009 03:21 AM by wvboy. 21 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
eric
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
24 Nov 2008 03:24 PM  
Does anyone have any good remedies for keeping your feet warm....i hunted this past week in 19 degree weather...i had on 3 pair of socks plus 800 gram rubber boots and my feet were numb

Thanks

eric
Mr.FreakNasty
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
24 Nov 2008 04:27 PM  
the tighter you make your feet inside your boots the worse your going to be....i use 1200 gramm insulation boots with a pair of wicker socks then a pair of wool socks wicker sock to wick the sweat away from my feet as i walk to the stand an wool socks for keeping warm....me myself dont use rubber boots but a few guys i hutn with do an they say there no good for cold wheater they only wear them cause they have to walk threw the creek to get to the stand hope this helps a lil bit
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
24 Nov 2008 04:37 PM  
I have a pair of Lacrosse rubber boots with 800 grams and I have to be careful not to wear socks that cause my feet to sweat,wet feet make cold feet .
Tubby
The God of My Rock;He Is My Sheild;And The Horn Of My Salvation 2 Samuuel,Ch 22
Antlermass
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
29 Nov 2008 03:26 AM  
Dobber
8 Point
8 Point

--
01 Dec 2008 01:39 AM  
use something like arid extra dry spray on your feet to help them not sweat, just make sure you use the non scented stuff. If your feet don;t sweat they won;t be wet, wet feet equals cold feet
NYDeer
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
02 Dec 2008 01:28 AM  
Rubber boots don't dry so fast, so use alternate set of boots every other day & leave the 'off' day boots on a radiator to really dry thoroughly.. Carry extra liners & socks, then change them out once you get on stand..
camoak
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
02 Dec 2008 01:55 AM  
i have been troubled by this very same issue for years.  I think I might have figured it out.

First, I have a pair of Cabela's Whitetail Extreme Boots (Scent Lok) w/ either 600 or 1200 gr. Thinsulate - Not sure because I bought them a while ago and can't remember how much thinsulate they are packed with.

I usually wear a pair of thin scent lok socks (wicks away moisture) and then a pair of Wool socks.  Typically keeps me warm for a couple of hours but after that it's downhill.  I've tried the warmers - just a waste of money because they don't work.  Tried adding a pair of socks - but that didn't work because my feet got colder - faster.  Bought boot covers and they are "okay".

I just picked up a pair of electric socks (D Battery) - tried them today, temp was hovering around 28 and fired them up - with no luck.  I had my thin socks and then the warmer socks on top.  My son was with me and he was wearing the same configuration.  His feet were icicles.  So he told me he wanted to take the inner (thin) socks off and put the heated socks directly against his feet.  It worked better.  So I did the same on one boot and didn't feel a difference - although that could have been because my feet were so cold that they wouldn't warm up.

So we headed to the house for lunch.   On my way out, I decided to wear the heated socks and throw a pair of wool socks on top.

Not only did this work, it worked very well.  As a matter of fact, I was out for about 3 hrs before I kicked on the power (snaped the snap to activate the battery pack) and for the last 1 1/2 hrs, I had moderatly warm feet - far cry from cold feet.  And i could have been warm longer, had the opportunity arisen...

I will try this again tomorrow - but for now, I think I have resolved the cold feet issue...  I hate having to lug around 2 D batteries and a backup, but I'd carry and extra few ounces for warm feet - any day!!!

Trey
6 Point
6 Point

--
02 Dec 2008 02:52 AM  
Posted By Antlermass on 11/28/2008 9:26 PM
www.warmers.com/ItemDetails.aspx  these work great.
they also make these in a smaller form to just fit right under your toes and they do work great. I also use the larger handwarmers and drop 1 or 2 inside my coat and one in each pocket. The one inside my coat keeps my body warm while the ones in my pockets I use to warm my hands when the cold sets in.

Antlermass
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
02 Dec 2008 05:58 AM  
Posted By Trey on 12/01/2008 8:52 PM
Posted By Antlermass on 11/28/2008 9:26 PM
www.warmers.com/ItemDetails.aspx  these work great.
they also make these in a smaller form to just fit right under your toes and they do work great. I also use the larger handwarmers and drop 1 or 2 inside my coat and one in each pocket. The one inside my coat keeps my body warm while the ones in my pockets I use to warm my hands when the cold sets in.

I personally like the whole foot warmer over the toe only ones. Those hand warmer ones are great too

rnwinter
6 Point
6 Point

--
06 Dec 2008 11:19 PM  
Sweat is the biggest problem for causing heat loss. It's nice to have thousands of socks on, but if you sweat in em, the cold will radiate right in. Wool is the only fabric that will retain body heat, even when wet. Generally, layer your clothes. Use a wool liner, with thin 100% cotton outers, or vise versa. I'd do the wool on the inside, but you can try either way.

One other thing. When you sit, the circulation to your feet and hands are reduced. Keep wiggling your toes, flex your thighs, and move your feet around. This will keep blood moving. A heating pack placed in the bend junction of your thighs and hip where you bend when sitting, or placed in your arm pits will heat your blood. These areas are the closest that arteries pass to the surface of your skin. In high fevers, ice packs are placed there to bring temps down...it stands to reason that heating them will produce the same result, only in reverse.
asst19chief
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
08 Dec 2008 01:53 AM  
I was told sprinkling some cayenne pepper in your boots will do wonders. Haven't tried it yet though
Dale405
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
14 Dec 2008 03:52 PM  
The company that makes hot hands, also makes a product called hot feet. They look like insoles, slide in your boots, and keep your feet warm for hours.
cfiloteo3
6 Point
6 Point

--
15 Dec 2008 08:05 AM  
Dale405 hit it right on the money; the insoles work great and you can still move your toes :) No matter how many pair of socks you wear, you will still get cold with no energy of heat. The feet warmers work great and I hope you fancy them, so you can stay warm in the field.
Crystal City,
Zavala County,
Deep South Texas
dave
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
26 Dec 2008 11:40 PM  
I use leather tops (rubber bottoms with leather uppers and felts inside) in cold weather and have had no problem.
mark14
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
26 Nov 2009 11:14 PM  
where heated socks or get boots that are a half a size or a size bigger.
Dr. Deer
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
27 Nov 2009 01:20 AM  

Its hard to keep your feet warm at times. A great way if you are in a stand is bring a sleeping bag.If your in a blind on in a stand take off your boots and slid the sleeping bag up to your waist and I promise you'll stay comfortable.

Fossilman
6 Point
6 Point

--
27 Nov 2009 02:54 PM  
To many socks on,thats for sure......Invest in a good boot!
God,family and friends,nothing better!!
deadfowl
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
29 Nov 2009 02:49 AM  

It was 20 degress when I walked into the stand this morning. I myself wear rubber boots. I have a pair that is 1000 grams. I wear a Under Armour Moisture Wicking sock to keep the dampness off my feet. On top of them I wear a pair of Rocky Wool socks. My boots are one size bigger than what I should actually wear. My feet did not get cold and I sat there from 615 to 1030.

Jamie MacMaster
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
29 Nov 2009 01:47 PM  
the tighter you make your feet inside your boots the worse your going to be

It took me years to figure out, but the VAST majority of boots (and that includes hunting boots) are too narrow.

Buy the widest boot you can find, to hell with the brand or cammo pattern.

Robin Hood had it right: As long as a man has deer and beer, he needs very little government.
jake
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
02 Dec 2009 01:25 AM  
those insole whole foot warmers might work ok if u have a small foot. i have a 12 1/2 foot and it only covers about half my foot. toes still get cold.
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

Active Forums 4.2
Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! Join Buckmasters Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!