Register  | Login
  Search

Buckmasters Forums

sizing a deer's rack
Last Post 30 Jul 2007 08:51 AM by j_web_84. 11 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
26 Jul 2007 01:26 PM  
I may get to go on a hunt this year and they shoot 140 or 150 (maybe better).What I would like to know is what is a good way to judge a deer's size?I have never been in a situation like that,I always hunted with antler point restrictions.
 Thanks for any advice.
Tubby
The God of My Rock;He Is My Sheild;And The Horn Of My Salvation 2 Samuuel,Ch 22
Dobber
8 Point
8 Point

--
26 Jul 2007 02:30 PM  
look for a width way outside his ears, check out as many pics as possible and once you get comfortable, check out scored racks, do a guess and see how close you are.
Turkulese
6 Point
6 Point

--
26 Jul 2007 10:57 PM  
Even though width is a good indicator it doesn't always tell how big a deer is. Neither do the number of points... there is a 6 pointer in Cabela's that scores in the 150's. And I saw a buck a year ago that was close to 2 ft wide that wouldn't have scored 120. I shot a buck this past year that was only 16 inches wide that scored 153. Think about it... 2 bucks with the same amount of antler growth(considering inches)... however one is 24 inches wide and the other is 16 inches wide. The wide one will score only 8 inches more than the other one even though it is WAY wider.

Check for small things. 2 Most important things Mass and Tine length. Compare the thickness of the deers antlers with the size of the deers eyes. Compare the tine length to the ears... if the tines are noticeably longer than the deers ears and have a greater circumference than the deers eyes then you know that it's probably a shooter. I prefer to shoot deer that have tines that are at least 1 and 1/2 times the length of their ears. Trust me there is a huge difference between a 130 and 150. Just do as Dobber suggested above get some pics and start guesstimating. AND BE SURE BEFORE YOU PULL THE TRIGGER.... if this is a once in a lifetime hunt make the best of it. Good luck!
jkoehler
Forum Moderator
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
27 Jul 2007 02:45 AM  
I read somewhere that Dobber said wider than the ears stick out & at least 10 points. Im sure there are some with less points that will make the score but The width tells a hole lot. How tall the tines are does not hurt eather
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
'To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.'
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
27 Jul 2007 02:54 PM  
Thanks a ton for the info guys,i will try to find a book with some pics in that I can pratice on.
Tubby
JRM6868
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
27 Jul 2007 09:35 PM  

Here's how I judge a deer.If the outside of the mainbeams are touching the outside of the ears it's close to 16" inside spread.If the inside of the mainbeams are touching the outside of the ears it's close to 18"inside spread.The average mass of a deer is 30" with all the measurements added together.Average mainbeams are 23"to 25".If you add these so called constants you add 18"+30"+50"=98"or round it up to 100"then just look and guess the tine lengths.That should get you close.I learned that from a guide and a taxidermist.

Turkulese
6 Point
6 Point

--
28 Jul 2007 02:19 AM  
Good tip JRM... I'll have to use that one.

I have always felt that width isn't really a good indicator of the score. Only a 2 in difference in score between a 16" wide buck and an 18" wide buck. Just because they don't go outside the ears doesn't mean they won't hit 140. I shot one 2 years ago that went 155" and he was 15 1/2 inches wide. This last year I shot a buck that had a lot of mass that scored 153" he was only 16" wide. Both trophies.... but if you follow the outside the ears rule you would've passed them up. Now... don't get me wrong width does help but I don't think it should be the sole reason behind shooting a deer.

On the end... All that really matters is that you pick out one that you like and then let her fly: )
Lyman
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
28 Jul 2007 11:42 PM  
Dont' spend too much looking at  the rack if it feels good take it.!!
AlabamaSwamper
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
29 Jul 2007 02:04 PM  

If you are required to shoot deer that score over a minimum, you better forget spread.   As a BTR scorer and someone who has seen over 200 bucks in the woods and brush of Texas over 130" and measured dozens if not hundreds more, you better believe that spread has very little affect on score.

As far as tines, to get deer consistently that score 150"+, you are gonna need  great tine length on the G2's and G3's (average for all 4 tines in the 9"-11" range) and the G4's on average need to be pretty good.   (4-6"

Browtines are also important.   The difference between 2" brows and 6" brows in 8 total inches, which will go a long ways.

Mass is the second most important measurement and may be the MOST important.  I've measured bucks with average to below average tine length but great mass that was 160".   I measured one a few weeks ago for a guy in Huntsville, AL that didn't have a tine over 8 4/8" long (11 scorable points total) yet he was 161" composite mainly because of his mass.   I have a friend here in Florence, AL with a deer with 10 scorable points (mainframe 8pt with two 1 1/8" kickers) that scores 152".   Nothing special about the tines, beams or spread (16" wide) but he has somewhere around 35" of mass.   That's over 4" per measurement and his 2nd and 3rd measurements are better than the bases.

I've seen deer in the upper 130's shot that were less than 12" wide.

I've seen deer 22" inside only go in the lower 130's.

The difference in 15" and 20" of spread is....5".  That is it.    The difference in good mass and average mass could be 10-15", along with tines.

THERE ARE GONNA BE EXCEPTIONS TO EVERY RULE.    And REMEMBER, an 8pt that scores 130 will be lots more impressive than a 10pt that scores the same.  Shoot the frame, not points.  Unless you just want a deer with lots of points or real wide.

I look at frame and mass.  THe heavier, the better.   Tall tines will stick out like a sore thumb.   Great mass will also.   It may worry you now but I promise, when a 150" steps out, you'll know it.

Just use the OH S#$t rule.  If you say OH S^$t when you see him, you better shoot.    You have to take a second look, he's probably not worth it.

AlabamaSwamper
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
29 Jul 2007 02:07 PM  
Posted By oldgun on 07/28/2007 5:42 PM
Dont' spend too much looking at  the rack if it feels good take it.!!

And after spending the last 15 minutes typing my last post, this is the very best advice you will get.

tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
29 Jul 2007 04:08 PM  
Thanks guys.
Tubby
J_web_84
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
30 Jul 2007 08:51 AM  
Width, length, height. If the antlers extend out past the ears, then it's a pretty good scoring deer.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! Join Buckmasters Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!