Register  | Login
  Search
Buckmasters Forums
Doe antlers
Last Post 04 Aug 2007 04:02 PM by doeslayer. 20 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
Meeker
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
25 Jul 2007 10:24 PM  
is it true that some does have antlers ?
Meeker
huntininmissouri
6 Point
6 Point

--
25 Jul 2007 10:29 PM  
yes
rackaholic1989
6 Point
6 Point

--
25 Jul 2007 11:56 PM  
yup it can happen
If Its Brown It's Down!
z3z528

--
26 Jul 2007 03:11 AM  
ya ive heard it can happen.... never seen it tho
Ohio is where the Big Bucks Roam!!!
rackaholic1989
6 Point
6 Point

--
26 Jul 2007 03:34 AM  
there was a story i believe it was on buckmasters home page or the old forum about an 11 point doe..it was kinda cool
If Its Brown It's Down!
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
26 Jul 2007 03:36 AM  
never seen it,but I have heard of it
Tubby
The God of My Rock;He Is My Sheild;And The Horn Of My Salvation 2 Samuuel,Ch 22
Conner Spohn
6 Point
6 Point

--
26 Jul 2007 12:00 PM  
Yep! Had one about 15 years ago in PA. Sure shocked me at the time. Ended up giving it to the game warden. He gave me another tag to use.
Robert2
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
26 Jul 2007 04:32 PM  
I saw one in the newspaper about 5 years ago
Mississippi
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
26 Jul 2007 05:34 PM  
Yeah, its true. I've got a magazine around here somewhere with a few in it. Theres one article about a guy shooting a ten point doe. It talks about the game warden giving the guy a hard time about his tag or something guess you couldn't shoot does there. That would have to suck
"Only perfect practice makes perfect, anything else just gets you good at being bad."
ks_hunter
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
26 Jul 2007 06:03 PM  
someone shot one near ceder vale kansas about 3 or 4 years ago while feeding his cattle 
Dakota Danny
6 Point
6 Point

--
28 Jul 2007 06:52 AM  
This is why so many states sell "any deer" or "antlered" licenses...if you shoot an antlered doe with a "buck only" tag, then you'd technically have harvested unlawful game...

It takes an imbalance hormonally to do it. In humans the opposite sex hormone is produced by the adrenal gland...in other words, all guys have a very low level of estrogen produced. If you were to suffer some sort of adrenal tumor it's possible for the gland to hyper secrete the hormone. More commonly, there is some sort of defect resulting in hermaphrodite. Instead of estrogen producing ovaries, the doe would have testes. If you notice, many antlered does still have their velvet or never lose the antlers. This is due to the unnatural cycle associated with the disorder, resulting in unnatural antler cycles.

So yes it's possible. And yes IT is VERY rare.
Ronald Ray Jr.
6 Point
6 Point

--
28 Jul 2007 02:57 PM  
Yep, I seen one in the News paper here last year, and also the year before that.

Last year was a hugy non-typical antlered doe, I think it was like a 24 point, but I don't remember for sure. The year before I believe was a typical 8 point doe.

Ronald Lee Ray Jr.
rrjr11@cox.net
Disabled Navy Veteran
Ronald Ray Jr.
6 Point
6 Point

--
28 Jul 2007 03:11 PM  
Oh, and Dakota Danny is right it is a hormone that causes the doe to grow antlers. Just as he was staying Males do have a very low amount of estrogen (the female hormone). Just as women also have a low amount of testosterone.

Well in the case of the doe with antlers for some reason they have a high level of testosterone. And they sometimes grown antlers.

From what I read, and understood from the story in the news paper a couple years ago, they still need the proper nutritions to grow the antlers. And as Dakota Danny also said their antlers in the velvet. But not alway. There has been a few does that have been harvested that the antlers did harden just like a bucks would. But they said that depends on a couple things. And I don't remember what all they were. 
Ronald Lee Ray Jr.
rrjr11@cox.net
Disabled Navy Veteran
Ronald Ray Jr.
6 Point
6 Point

--
28 Jul 2007 03:42 PM  
I just did a search and found a link that talks a little about this doe with antler. It's at:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Hunting-...l-Deer.htm

I got to wondering what the thing was that causes a doe to shed the velvet. And this link said. 

What it is, is a buck goes thru 3 testosterone surges per year: Most does with antlers only have the first testosterone surge and that is why some are always in velvet.

Now the reason some do shed the velvet is because they got thru the second testosterone surge.

And then for the even smaller few does that do shed their antler, something causes them to go thru the 3rd testosterone surge. 

And that is how the antlers happen, for both the bucks and the small percentage of does that have them too.

This link talks a little bit more about this, but not much more.
Ronald Lee Ray Jr.
rrjr11@cox.net
Disabled Navy Veteran
tomscheland/d5
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
29 Jul 2007 01:19 PM  
had a cousin take an antlered doe a while ago....it was hard horn though....
disabled huntersand kids love to hunt also...take one with you on your next trip....the smile on their face is the best trophy of all
rebel deer hunter
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
30 Jul 2007 06:37 PM  
yea its true, the guy who we take our deer to get processed at ( well he doesnt process them we do, he just lets us use his stuff cause he's friend of the family, anyway his daughter shot a 7pnt doe out in the marsh
SOUTHERN PRIDE
cfiloteo3
6 Point
6 Point

--
31 Jul 2007 09:34 AM  
Yes it is true. I saw a hunting show a couple years ago and it showed a doe that had antlers. Regardless of how big the rack is it would be cool to harvest an animal that not many people ever see in the woods.
Crystal City,
Zavala County,
Deep South Texas
mcraddock
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
01 Aug 2007 05:49 AM  
Yea, I've seen it too. Last year my processor took in an antlered doe. Nice eight point and no velvet. They took plenty of pictures, that was the first time I had heard of it happening. Now you hear about it more often.
rackmaster4413
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
03 Aug 2007 10:35 PM  
yes it is very true
J_web_84
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
04 Aug 2007 11:02 AM  
Yup, I heard the same thing. Never seen one though. Would be cool to have a full body mount of one.
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

Active Forums 4.2
Pay Your Bill Online Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! LinkedIn Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!