Register  | Login
  Search

Buckmasters Forums

What would you do ?
Last Post 18 Jan 2008 11:15 AM by lordmercury. 27 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
FiremanE4
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
01 Jan 2008 02:59 AM  

If you came across this on private property?  I got out of there as I had followed fresh footprints to it.  I had passed it going up the ridge and must have spooked the guy out because on the way down on the other side I picked up his tracks and followed it here!!

I called the guy running the property and he said take it down and take it home!!.  I left the guy a note letting him know I was there, but Im sure he was watching me seeing as how the tracks were very recent!!  Ladder is about 20 yards away from feeder.  Feeder is full!

tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
01 Jan 2008 03:41 AM  
Is the person in question tresspassing ?If so,get in touch with the law enforcement.Not sure if I would take the guy's stuff,unless I took it to the land owner for the guy to pick up
Tubby
The God of My Rock;He Is My Sheild;And The Horn Of My Salvation 2 Samuuel,Ch 22
RJF
6 Point
6 Point

--
01 Jan 2008 04:24 AM  
id just take the land owner back with me he could take it down and then what ever is done with it he would have to answer for. that way your not being blamed for something
RJF
6 Point
6 Point

--
01 Jan 2008 04:24 AM  
id just take the land owner back with me he could take it down and then what ever is done with it he would have to answer for. that way your not being blamed for something
Will trade WIFE for gun
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
01 Jan 2008 11:27 AM  
lets see he's tresspassing baiting and a sneak. the land owner said go ahead and take it so merry christmas. maybe the hard lesson will smarten him up a bit. guys who do this ruin it for those who do get permission landowners get tired of the crap and just block everyone.
slawman
8 Point
8 Point

--
01 Jan 2008 12:24 PM  
Well thats bold to not only set up a stand on someone elses property but to put up a feeder also. feeders being Illegle here in Illinois and would be suject to fines if caught , I would take it all down . I would try to find out where this guy is coming in from and find him to have a talk with him, and no, he wouldn't be getting any of his stuff back either.
The Bulldog
Forum Moderator
6 Point
6 Point

--
01 Jan 2008 03:44 PM  
Well if he is tresspassing, I would probably want to take the stand down as well. Might move the feeder else where too. Or you might leave them alone and try to set up a gmae camera of sorts with a cage around it or in an area undetectable and try to catch this criminal.
WVHunter129
Forum Administrator
8 Point
8 Point

--
01 Jan 2008 04:24 PM  
Well guys I know that no one here would want someone taking their stuff. Of course none of us would put our stuff up on land that we didn't have permission either. But we still wouldn't want someone taking our stuff.

Now of course this guy appears to be trespassing on the property and knew it since he took off when FiremanE4 came on the scene.

I would tell the land owner like FiremanE4 did, and if the landowner said take it down...well I would tell the landowner that I would take it down with his assistance and let him keep it. If the landowner didn't want to do that, then I would take it down and put a note on the tree and let the individual know where he could get it if he wanted to come and collect it.

IF the guy was unaware that he was trespassing, then he would probably come and collect it and then it could be explained to him that he was trespassing...IF the guy was aware and afraid of the consequences from trespassing then you would probably have a nice ladder stand and feeder.

I just feel that a person has paid a good bit for a ladder stand and a feeder...probably a few hundred dollars...if I paid that much I would want my stuff and would appreciate someone letting me know that they had it and that I was trespassing and that was why it was taken down.

It is easy to get turned around in the woods and get on someone else's property. I know it has happened to me while tracking a deer that I took this fall. I was on my 8,000 acre club lease and shot a doe and tracked her for about 2 miles before finally finishing her off. But, I ended up on a timber company land and of course when I was following the blood trail I wasn't paying to much attention to where I was. Coming back with my doe I noticed the POSTED signs.

So I try and give anyone a break at first.

WVHunter129
Live to Hunt/Hunt to Live
Forum Administrator
FiremanE4
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
01 Jan 2008 05:06 PM  
He knows he is tresspassing.  This property belongs to the city and is for the Fire Dept and Police Dept families to use.  It also has a locked gate with a sign on it saying Fire and Police members only.
Forestclimber
6 Point
6 Point

--
01 Jan 2008 05:17 PM  
You could take the things apart, and lay them on the ground with a note saying they would be removed in a week. Or take the items home, and leave a note on the tree in a zip-loc bag that tells where he can get his things.
Chuckwagon Sam

--
01 Jan 2008 06:09 PM  
In any situation like this, you take no action. You notify the landowner, as you have, and the proper law enforcement officals and let them handle it. Regardless of the person's actions you do not want to put yourself in a postion that could result in legal action against you. As much as any of us would like to "stick it" to this moron, we have no legal authority to do so.
Mark
8 Point
8 Point

--
01 Jan 2008 09:12 PM  
I would contact the land owner as you did and if he told me to remove the stand and feeder I would ask for a note from him saying that and then I would remove the stand and feeder and place a note in a bag on the tree telling him where he could get his stuff and how long it would be available to him to get it. After that the land owner could  raffle off the items and use the money for property maintenance or better yet it could go to help the Firemans/Police funds.
Dennis Engeman
6 Point
6 Point

--
02 Jan 2008 12:32 AM  
chances are that the stuff  is stolen anyway so I would contact the police and if they didn't have a clue about ownership the raffle sounds good
ontarioben
6 Point
6 Point

--
03 Jan 2008 01:08 AM  
if it were me I would go to Home Depot and buy two of the biggest linked chains that I could find as well as a couple of good quality locks and I would lock everything to the tree, maybe he`ll get the message that he`s not welcomed on the land. Or like others have suggested take it down leave a note as to where it will be and if it`s not claimed within 60 days auction it off and give the procedes to the local food bank , just another way hunter`s help the hungry.
SWIowashotgun
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
03 Jan 2008 02:00 AM  
Take some metal cutters and cut that sucker down. I actually like the idea of taking it to the landowner and making the guy have the balls to go to the landowner to get it back. Then after 1 month, the farmer gives it to you.
Eric
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
03 Jan 2008 09:14 AM  
Reminds me once years ago I had placed a ladder stand at the edge of a natural funnel. When I arrived for the evening hunt I found my tree stand shot full of holes and in pieces at the base of the tree. I then spotted a guy coming off the ridge that had waited for me to show up. He went into a full renditions of how he was the only one allowed to hunt this landowners property and if he caught me in there again he would have me arrested.

The problem stemmed from the fact that this guy had no clue where the property line was and assumed it was this tract was the landowners. Even the landowner thought he owned or had rights to this property. End results was I was in the right and they were in the wrong. Tree stand was junk with bullet holes. I never did hunt this property again...left a bad taste in my mouth.

Personally I would talk with the guy and have him get his stuff off the property asap if he is on posted property. Baiting here in NY is illegal and if you are caught anywhere near that feeder with a gun...you could get arrested. You have the chance to possibly turn this guy around in his thinking to become a true sportsmen and possibly a hunting buddy that hunts ethically. Good luck
GreatWhite
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
04 Jan 2008 07:09 PM  
You guys are way nicer than I am. Course, in my case I am the landowner. I'm using a homemade ladder stand right now that was left on our property by someone. It was removed and claimed immediately. I have another hanging tree stand in my garage that was put up by someone. I don't use it because it looks too dangerous. But guys can say all they want that sometimes they don't know where our property starts. That's crap. They have to walk past keep out signs to get to our place. Trespassers are a major thorn in my side. I've been nearly shot out of my tree by guys shooting from the highway onto our place. Some are so lazy they drive their trucks right on the place and realize they've just driven under my tree stand.
Cornfed
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
04 Jan 2008 08:47 PM  
Leasing is so expensive now and land is disappearing monthly all over US due to development. I think this issue of trespassing and poaching is only going to get worse.
Eric
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
04 Jan 2008 10:29 PM  
Great White I agree that most landowners do know their property lines...I started with 241 acres and had it surveyed at the time I purchased it. Since then each piece added now totaling just over 400 acres has been surveyed just as not to have any issues with neighbors. Good fences make for good neighbors. I still had problems from time to time with trespassers over the years but I would have to say that it has diminished rather than say it were on the increase.

Some people will never respect other peoples rights and property....once said long ago. A lock only keeps out honest people and so do posted signs.
droptine06
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
04 Jan 2008 10:47 PM  
I agree with tubby call the game warden if this guy is tresspassing
do not take his stand let the owner or warden do it then you are clear of anything
Hillbilly Willy
Today is the day the Lord hath made, I will rejoice and be glad in it
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

Active Forums 4.2
Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! Join Buckmasters Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!