turtle
Last Post 10 Jun 2008 06:20 PM by rebel deer hunter. 9 Replies.
Author Messages
SHADOW HUNTER
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
19 May 2008 06:39 PM  
how do you cook and clean a snapping turtle?
IF YOU CANT PLAY WITH THE BIG DOGS STAY ON THE PORCH
Howard
6 Point
6 Point

--
21 May 2008 10:28 PM  
Good question...I never saw turtle meat packaged or fresh. I have a feeling if ya contact Trey he could tell ya.
Tom Sinnott
6 Point
6 Point

--
26 May 2008 05:30 AM  
It's easiest to lop off the head scald them quickly to start with. Then the outside of the shell picks off with just your fingernail. Not the whole shell just the little hexgon pieces on the outside of the shell, there is a little bit of soup meat under them. If you then take a good filet knife you have to feel your way through where the top part of the shell meets the bottom and separate them a little bit. Then you have to basically skin it off the shell. I always save the legs for deep frying and the tail and the meat in the shell and all the little pieces scattered about under the shell and use them for soup.
For cooking you fry it just like you would chicken but it will be very tough! So after it's fried you need to steam it in a roaster oven or a broiler pan on low heat at a med-low heat until the breading is falling off and it should be just right. I slow boil all the soup meat and the tails together with the tail bones in it until its falling off the bone, pull out all the meat and make a stew out of it. You will want to trim as much fat as humanly possible off of it when you are cleaning it because that is what all the strong taste comes from.

Good luck! remember those ol' snapper heads can still put the hurt on you even after you lopped them off and they have been laying on the ground for 30 minutes!!!
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Benjamin Franklin
rebel deer hunter
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
27 May 2008 02:27 AM  
fried is best, you just bust off the bottom of the shell and get all the meat
SOUTHERN PRIDE
SHADOW HUNTER
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
27 May 2008 06:43 PM  
Thanks. We have them in our pond. I usually jug them and get them off our property. I have heard they are a real nucence to shell. I didnt want to do anything till I was sure.
Tom Sinnott
6 Point
6 Point

--
28 May 2008 01:27 AM  
You have to have a knack for it the first couple just don't seem to come apart that easily at the joints but after a few time they with just come right apart. Good luck!!!
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Benjamin Franklin
SHADOW HUNTER
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
29 May 2008 02:42 PM  
Thanks!
rebel deer hunter
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
29 May 2008 06:55 PM  
check the seasons on them, there out of season in fl tuill jun1 or jul 1 beacause the females have eggs right now
SOUTHERN PRIDE
SHADOW HUNTER
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
30 May 2008 06:41 PM  
Ok! Will do.
rebel deer hunter
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
10 Jun 2008 06:20 PM  
so did you get a turtle and cook it yet?
SOUTHERN PRIDE

---
Active Forums 4.2