Register  | Login
  Search
Buckmasters Forums
military meals
Last Post 03 Feb 2008 04:01 AM by pizzaman17. 18 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
newhunter
12 Point
12 Point

--
20 Sep 2007 01:11 AM  
My moms friend told me about how he goes to the army surplus stores and buys those sealed army rations, they also contain a heating block for cooking the hot portion. I'm going to give that a try this season.

Webfetti.com

tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
20 Sep 2007 05:16 PM  
MREs eat pre.tty well,I think you can order acase for around $70.00 or so.
Tubby
The God of My Rock;He Is My Sheild;And The Horn Of My Salvation 2 Samuuel,Ch 22
Mike
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
27 Sep 2007 11:28 PM  
MRE's are full of protein and will last a long time. Be cautious about buying them from a surplus store. Check the expiration date before you buy them. If any package appears to be swollen, toss it away it is bad.

You can make some pretty good meals with them. Enjoy and good luck this season.
Mike
mcraddock
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
28 Sep 2007 02:42 AM  
MRE's are pretty good, but you can buy the same type of meals from Mountain House alot cheaper I think. Here is a link.

www.mountainhouse.com/index.cfm
Howard
6 Point
6 Point

--
02 Oct 2007 11:21 PM  
We ate MREs when we came back home..I loved them, but each bag is like 2000 calories- designed to give soldires energy and sustenance for the entire day.
Back on topic, I think it's a great idea to bring them to the hunting camp.
The heating system is great and gets hot FAST!
eversboys
6 Point
6 Point

--
10 Oct 2007 11:28 PM  
I think the military stole someone's grandmother's poundcake recipe because the poundcake in the MREs is the best. You can survive for days on the shelf life bread with the peanut butter and jelly alone.

Army Strong! All day long!
move once, ive gotcha
move twice, youre dead
T
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
10 Oct 2007 11:48 PM  
carefull of what you eat in them, again your probaly thinking hunting snake and ect. but in them there is two things, i think one is a gum and the other is a snake bar or something? they are really a laxative to make you GO!!, and another is the oposite it makes you NOT GO.

i think it says it on them, so read before you eat.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Howard
6 Point
6 Point

--
10 Oct 2007 11:58 PM  
Posted By Hunterman on 10/10/2007 5:48 PM
carefull of what you eat in them, again your probaly thinking hunting snake and ect. but in them there is two things, i think one is a gum and the other is a snake bar or something? they are really a laxative to make you GO!!, and another is the oposite it makes you NOT GO.

i think it says it on them, so read before you eat.

Hrrmmm, I don't recall if it said one way or the other...unless it's just not written on the packaging.  Each package has different deserts like m&m, toosie roll, and fudge bar type thing.
My sister and I came across a case of them while boxing misc items from the past.  I brought them inside the trailer with me and none of the meal bags are swelled, but I'll open one up and see how the individuals ones are doing.
On a side note I like the enchilada meal the best. 
grimreaper
6 Point
6 Point

--
16 Oct 2007 04:02 AM  
I use to love the old spaghetti ones. Mix in the cheese and crackers and it was a good meal. I also enjoyed the old granola bar that you needed a hammer to break apart though. The newer ones are also pretty good and great for backpacking in somewhere.
Only the dead have seen the end of war. Plato
rnwinter
6 Point
6 Point

--
01 Dec 2007 04:26 AM  
I think since I had to survive on them for a couple of years in the Marines, I kind of avoid them. They do make much better ones since I was in so I might give one a taste test again. I always try and take a survival pack with me when I hunt or hike...(you can never tell)...might be a good idea to pack in a couple of MRE's too.
btr568
6 Point
6 Point

--
02 Dec 2007 03:12 PM  
well move down here,after a Hurricane comes thru,an you ain't got power or running water for a week,the Army just gives the stuff away by the case,lol,I still have 5 cases out in the shed from Katrina.But your right they fit great in a day pack,an if your really hungry they ain't that bad to eat
newhunter
12 Point
12 Point

--
02 Dec 2007 09:44 PM  
mmm. wanta sell a case??

Webfetti.com

Mark
8 Point
8 Point

--
20 Dec 2007 03:10 PM  

When i was in the National Gaurds we Use to call those snack bars John Wayne bars because they were so hard you had to be as tough as Ole John Wayne to eat em. But kike everyone said above they are really good to eat and most are very tasty too.

majthor
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
23 Jan 2008 02:09 PM  
MREs do make good pack rations. They are modular (everything packaged seperately) and can be stored for extended periods. Like another poster has already pointed out, each pouch contains 2,000 to 2,500 calories, so realistically, depending on the amount of activity you are doing in a given day, you can get by on one or two a day. Normally, I get by on one a day while hunting or fishing and will eat the desert for breakfast (usually cake), the crackers or energy bar while on the stand and the remainder in the evening when you are settled in at camp.

The pros for using them are they a pacakged to not take up too much room (will fit in the cargo pocket of most 6-pocket pants), they are waterproof, and they come with other necessities like matches and toilet paper.

The cons are they generate a lot of trash (most of which is not biodegradeable) and if eaten for extended periods, they will stop you up (or at least that has been my experience with them).

On a side note, don't just toss the outer bag these things come sealed in. They make great dry bags for your wallet or anything else you want to keep dry (like the toiler paper and matches). I even store my scents in the bags, keeps out the light and add a rubber band and you can seal it back up by rolling it down on itself.
rebel deer hunter
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
23 Jan 2008 08:29 PM  
after all the hurricanes couple years ago in florida they were given them out, and some are really nasty but some were ok
SOUTHERN PRIDE
Mark
8 Point
8 Point

--
29 Jan 2008 05:39 AM  
Posted By majthor on 01/23/2008 8:09 AM
MREs do make good pack rations. They are modular (everything packaged seperately) and can be stored for extended periods. Like another poster has already pointed out, each pouch contains 2,000 to 2,500 calories, so realistically, depending on the amount of activity you are doing in a given day, you can get by on one or two a day. Normally, I get by on one a day while hunting or fishing and will eat the desert for breakfast (usually cake), the crackers or energy bar while on the stand and the remainder in the evening when you are settled in at camp.

The pros for using them are they a pacakged to not take up too much room (will fit in the cargo pocket of most 6-pocket pants), they are waterproof, and they come with other necessities like matches and toilet paper.

The cons are they generate a lot of trash (most of which is not biodegradeable) and if eaten for extended periods, they will stop you up (or at least that has been my experience with them).

On a side note, don't just toss the outer bag these things come sealed in. They make great dry bags for your wallet or anything else you want to keep dry (like the toiler paper and matches). I even store my scents in the bags, keeps out the light and add a rubber band and you can seal it back up by rolling it down on itself.

Yeh there is a reason they stop you up. There is nothing worse than being in a fox hole with the runs,If you know what i mean......LOL
Howard
6 Point
6 Point

--
29 Jan 2008 11:15 PM  
Just ate part of one today for lunch...
retiredmn1
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
01 Feb 2008 11:49 PM  
btr568,

If you are willing to sell one of the cases of MRE's, I will buy it from you. My wife has been looking to buy a case ( from ebay), but they cost to much. Quote me a price and I will let you know.
Mark
8 Point
8 Point

--
03 Feb 2008 04:01 AM  
You can go to bobsarmynavy.com they have them for $79.99 a case. You can call them at (814)765-4652 or toll free at 1-800-838-2627 They are in Clearfield,Pa.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Pay Your Bill Online Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! LinkedIn Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!