Register  | Login
  Search

Buckmasters Forums

need help cooking king salmon...
Last Post 07 Sep 2007 02:32 PM by rebel deer hunter. 10 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
tomscheland/d5
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
28 Jul 2007 02:28 AM  
no i did not catch them as i don't think we have them in our sothern waters....but my grandson went to michigan last week and he caught 2 king salmon and brought the meat home to me ...one weighed around 12 lbs and the other about 20....he took some pictures of them and when he gets them devoloped i'll post the pic's....but now i need to know the best way to cook them up...i know a person does not fry them cause i tried that once...i can bake, grill or smoke them if any one knows how to do it...thanks ... <!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_1305268-->
disabled huntersand kids love to hunt also...take one with you on your next trip....the smile on their face is the best trophy of all
Ronald Ray Jr.
6 Point
6 Point

--
29 Jul 2007 08:06 AM  
I don't know why you can't fry them. I mean I wouldn't fry them as you normally would fish, with a batter. But you would fry it like you would a tuna steak. Just a little oil or non-stick spray in a pan and cook to your taste. Just enough oil so that it won't stick to the pan.

I have even seen a documentry about a year or 2 ago where the guys said that if you are out in the woods and have a waterway that had salmon in it you can catch it and eat it right out of the water. And then this guy catches a salmon and took a big old bit out of it like a bear or cat would. I myself like sushi so I would try it if I was ever someplace that I could catch some salmon.

Anyway, you can fry salmon if you like, but don't batter it, just take a hot frying pan with oil and the salmon fillet and cook to the wellness you like. I would do a medium rare myself, but thats just me. That is also how I do a good tuna steak.

As far as anything else I haven't had salmon other than fried, Sushi, or in dishes like salmon bake or other dish that you would do with canned salmon. And even with a salmon fillet you should be able to do that still, maybe just cut it up into little chunks.

In fact I just remembered here is a link for a video for Mediterranean Salmon

http://video.msn.com/v/us/v.htm?g=d...mp;fg=copy

I have never had this, so I do not know what it is like. But I saw the video a few days ago. I thought it looked pretty good. They don't have a link like some of these video's do to get the recipe. So you will need to watch it a few times to write everything down, unless your one of the lucky people with a photographic memory.

Good luck and enjoy the salmon and the time with your grandson.
Ronald Lee Ray Jr.
rrjr11@cox.net
Disabled Navy Veteran
Ronald Ray Jr.
6 Point
6 Point

--
29 Jul 2007 08:44 AM  
Oh, and make sure that the pan it hot before you cook it. You don't want the salmon sitting in the oil and soaking it up. So the salmon should start sizzling as soon as you put it in the pan. I have heard of people putting the salmon or tuna in the pan before the pan and oil it even hot and then they say it didn't taste right. I wouldn't use butter in the pan either, and make sure it is clean un-used oil, or  something like Pam Cooking spray (not the butter flavored spray though). I mean I have heard some people using butter, and they like it, but you need to watch how hot the pan gets when using butter so that it don't burn, or that is what I was always told anyway. And that burning/burnt butter might ruin the taste of the salmon.

Oh, and if you and/or your grandson likes spicy food, a good thing to use with fried to grilled salmon is a Wasabi paste. You can get this at a grocery store that has an Asian isle. They might have 2 different types of Wasabi. One is a tube, the other is a jar of wasabi powder. Get the paste, because it is all ready made and ready to use. The other kind, the powder you have to mix, supposedly with an equal amount of water and then let it stand. But I could never get it mixed right or something, because it is a little grainy like. And it should be grainy. So the best way is to just to get the paste. Anyway if you like spicy when the salmon is ready to serve, put a small ball on the plate with the salmon and then spread a thin layer on top of the salmon, the thicker the layer the hotter the wasabi maybe. I say maybe, because sometimes wasabi is really strong, but then in the same patch you might have some that is not as strong.

And just in case anyone is wondering what wasabi is, it is Japanese Horseradish.
Ronald Lee Ray Jr.
rrjr11@cox.net
Disabled Navy Veteran
huntininmissouri
6 Point
6 Point

--
29 Jul 2007 10:21 PM  
i'll bet it'd be great smoked.just type in how to grill/smoke salmon in your search engine and it'll bring up several repicies
rescue1224
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
01 Aug 2007 07:00 PM  
I usually grill them in foil with lemon and onions I have also put them in a pan with olive oil and lemon juice and cooked em that way
PETA (People eating tasty animals)
kitterick
6 Point
6 Point

--
11 Aug 2007 02:01 PM  
I live in michigan and we get kings every year....I would have to say that with all the messing around for finding the right recipie, smoking  the salmon is so so good and so easy!

not only that but there is a sauce sold in some stores called "onion blossom" you might be able to google it, I don't remember who makes it.....
\
it looks like thousand island dressing but of course is not how it tastes, anyway you dip a piece of smoked salmon in this stuff and you will not be able to put it down

enjoy it....they are great eating!

kitterick

DRENALIN
SIDEWINDER LX
AXIS ST
G5 STRIKER
kitterick
6 Point
6 Point

--
11 Aug 2007 02:04 PM  
did a little research for you, here it is

ROTHSCHILD'S-ONION BLOSSOM HORSERADISH DIP

greatest stuff in the world!!
DRENALIN
SIDEWINDER LX
AXIS ST
G5 STRIKER
huntininmissouri
6 Point
6 Point

--
13 Aug 2007 09:01 PM  
that sounds good.i'll have to get some thanks
Ken
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
15 Aug 2007 05:58 AM  
I like mine grilled with lemon pepper. Just lay the fish skin side down on the grill. Put your lemon pepper on to your taste, I like it heavy on the pepper. Close the grill top for 3 to 5 mins. Open and splash the salmon with lemon juice or I've tried teriyuki also. Fish will be done in under 10 mins. just keep checking.
rebel deer hunter
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
07 Sep 2007 02:31 PM  
yea dont fry them, they aint the fryn type fish, rescue has a pretty good way to cook them, try that. or get some everglades seasoning and butter the fish up and put in tinfoil and sprinkle some everglades seasoning over them and throw in some lemons.
SOUTHERN PRIDE
rebel deer hunter
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
07 Sep 2007 02:32 PM  
dont forget to cook
SOUTHERN PRIDE
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! Join Buckmasters Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!