Register  | Login
  Search
Buckmasters Forums
Larry Weishuhn & CWD
Last Post 04 Jan 2008 07:12 PM by 2chucks. 3 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Chuckwagon Sam

--
30 Dec 2007 08:25 PM  
Watched a show on the Outdoor channel the other day.  Larry Weishuhn, famed hunter and biologist, was debating as to whether CWD is as big a problem as it's being made out to be. He suggested that CWD has always been here and deer always have had it . He opined that deer in wild usally do not live long enough to show signs of it, or when they do they fall prey to preators. It wasn't till deer and elk kept in pens and able to live longer were found to have it, that testing showed it in wild herds. He felt that mass extermination was unnecessary and really won't change much. I tend to agree. When It first was discovered we were going to have entire deer herds in areas wiped out. I hunt in the Pine Ridge area of Nebraska and in 2002  they gave out free doe tags for that year and several after so they could check for CWD. They found several deer with it. This year we had to buy a doe tag. They still check if you want, but the herd didn't die off and we had one of our best years yet. 6 hunters taking 9 bucks and 6 does. The first day  I saw over 30 deer with 8 being bucks. CWD, even though present in the herd certainly didn't kill it off.
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
31 Dec 2007 03:51 AM  
I agree,I don't think CWD is something new.
Tubby
The God of My Rock;He Is My Sheild;And The Horn Of My Salvation 2 Samuuel,Ch 22
secondchance
6 Point
6 Point

--
04 Jan 2008 05:35 AM  
Posted By Chuckwagon Sam on 12/30/2007 2:25 PM
Watched a show on the Outdoor channel the other day.  Larry Weishuhn, famed hunter and biologist, was debating as to whether CWD is as big a problem as it's being made out to be. He suggested that CWD has always been here and deer always have had it . He opined that deer in wild usally do not live long enough to show signs of it, or when they do they fall prey to preators. It wasn't till deer and elk kept in pens and able to live longer were found to have it, that testing showed it in wild herds. He felt that mass extermination was unnecessary and really won't change much. I tend to agree. When It first was discovered we were going to have entire deer herds in areas wiped out. I hunt in the Pine Ridge area of Nebraska and in 2002  they gave out free doe tags for that year and several after so they could check for CWD. They found several deer with it. This year we had to buy a doe tag. They still check if you want, but the herd didn't die off and we had one of our best years yet. 6 hunters taking 9 bucks and 6 does. The first day  I saw over 30 deer with 8 being bucks. CWD, even though present in the herd certainly didn't kill it off.

I saw the same show and I also agree with him, and you.
John 316
2Chucks
6 Point
6 Point

--
04 Jan 2008 07:12 PM  
In all my research and working with the Wisconsin DNR in managing CWD in our state, I have to concur. Our panel is is late stages of making recommendations to the Natural resources board on how to deal with CWD and I think that the fear has gone from our state. Hunters that left the sport because of the hype are starting to come back. The state will soon return to business as usual and the deer herd in our state is still at high levels. The eradication plans from 2002 are gone and things are getting better.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Pay Your Bill Online Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! LinkedIn Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!