Register  | Login
  Search

Buckmasters Forums

Which Camera
Last Post 16 Sep 2009 08:46 PM by WVHunter129. 3 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Jimmy
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
30 Aug 2009 08:40 PM  
Been reading the different post and looking at the pictures. Also looked at the pole and see that the pole showes most use the Moultrie Camera.
My questions are:
1. Which model do most of you prefer
2. Do you set it up and leave for several days or how often do you check it
3. Do you use the information to determine the time you hunt certain areas
I have never used a game camera and I just looking for any tips to help get started
mcraddock
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
12 Sep 2009 02:25 PM  
Moultrie D-40 (also known as the MGW-40, the same camera but different package for Walmart)

It is affordable, very reliable, and best value. The supposedly have a new model out that will replace this one as their "entry" level game cam. So shop around as these cameras are now being marked down drastically. I bought two more from MidwayUSA a couple of months ago when they had them marked down to $69 each. But most folks are still trying to sell them for $99.

I check mine every two weeks. Use good batteries (Duracell only is my choice) and usually the camera is still working after that time period. Alot of night pictures (flash) will use up the batteries faster. Resist the temptation to check your camera more often than once a week. Critters will start to pattern you and the smell you leave behind.

I rarely hunt where I hang my cams. Only time I do really is when it's on a corn feeder and I'm hunting hogs.

It's more of just a great utility to find out what size and quality of deer I have on the property and what times they are moving. Also tells me what club members are scouting the same area as me!

Last thing, if you fear that your camera may get stolen from trespassers, buy a security box for it. There are many kinds that can be found on ebay or just make your own. Nothing worse than going to check cameras and finding them gone.
Jimmy
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
12 Sep 2009 07:53 PM  
Thanks for the reply and all the information
WVHunter129
Forum Administrator
8 Point
8 Point

--
16 Sep 2009 08:46 PM  
Posted By 7-08 on 08/30/2009 2:40 PM
Been reading the different post and looking at the pictures. Also looked at the pole and see that the pole showes most use the Moultrie Camera.
My questions are:
1. Which model do most of you prefer
2. Do you set it up and leave for several days or how often do you check it
3. Do you use the information to determine the time you hunt certain areas
I have never used a game camera and I just looking for any tips to help get started

I use the Moultrie cameras and love them and the service department is great.

To answer your questions:

1. I use a D40 but would love to have the I40.  Infrared is a lot better than flash for two reasons.  The first is that a flash may and could spook deer until they get use to it, but the biggest reason I would prefer the infrared models is that they can't be seen.  At night a camera with a flash can be seen buy anyone who may be in the woods looking to steal a camera.  I know this for a fact, my sons D40 was stolen in January and it was in a metal bear proof box that we had built.  So look at the infrared Moultrie cameras.

2. We set up our cameras and use 1 gig SD cards.  We generally check them once every two weeks, sometimes once a week but mostly every two weeks.  Always make sure to take extra batteries with you just in case.  We use two 1 gig SD cards, what we do is when we go to check we remove the card in the camera and replace it with a blank one.  Then when we view the pictures at home we copy them from the SD card to the Computer and then delete the pictures from the SD card.

3. Yes on your third question.  I notice the time of day the deer are coming in, I also notice the deers age and rack size.  Well try and determine the age.  That way I know what to expect and won't shoot the first deer that comes to the stand.

You can't go wrong with a Moultrie camera I don't care what anyone says.  I have owned two for the past 5 years.  The only other camera that we have is a Bushnell game camera that has the infrared instead of a flash.  It is my son's camera and it was given to him by a good friend after his was stolen.  Moultrie makes infrared cameras that are real good.
WVHunter129
Live to Hunt/Hunt to Live
Forum Administrator
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! Join Buckmasters Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!