Posted By 7-08 on 08/30/2009 2:40 PM
Been reading the different post and looking at the pictures. Also looked at the pole and see that the pole showes most use the Moultrie Camera.
My questions are:
1. Which model do most of you prefer
2. Do you set it up and leave for several days or how often do you check it
3. Do you use the information to determine the time you hunt certain areas
I have never used a game camera and I just looking for any tips to help get started
I use the Moultrie cameras and love them and the service department is great.
To answer your questions:
1. I use a D40 but would love to have the I40. Infrared is a lot better than flash for two reasons. The first is that a flash may and could spook deer until they get use to it, but the biggest reason I would prefer the infrared models is that they can't be seen. At night a camera with a flash can be seen buy anyone who may be in the woods looking to steal a camera. I know this for a fact, my sons D40 was stolen in January and it was in a metal bear proof box that we had built. So look at the infrared Moultrie cameras.
2. We set up our cameras and use 1 gig SD cards. We generally check them once every two weeks, sometimes once a week but mostly every two weeks. Always make sure to take extra batteries with you just in case. We use two 1 gig SD cards, what we do is when we go to check we remove the card in the camera and replace it with a blank one. Then when we view the pictures at home we copy them from the SD card to the Computer and then delete the pictures from the SD card.
3. Yes on your third question. I notice the time of day the deer are coming in, I also notice the deers age and rack size. Well try and determine the age. That way I know what to expect and won't shoot the first deer that comes to the stand.
You can't go wrong with a Moultrie camera I don't care what anyone says. I have owned two for the past 5 years. The only other camera that we have is a Bushnell game camera that has the infrared instead of a flash. It is my son's camera and it was given to him by a good friend after his was stolen. Moultrie makes infrared cameras that are real good.