Planting in New York woods
Last Post 30 Dec 2009 02:56 PM by aorris. 4 Replies.
Author Messages
NEW YORK RACK MASTER
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
03 Nov 2009 01:28 PM  

I am looking ahead for the 2010 season.

I am considering planting a few things and I am wondering if anyone here has planted them in the woods.

I am thinking about planting :  Sun Flowers ~  Peas ~Turnips as well as planting no plow clover.

Has anyone planted any of the above in the woods of New York ?

I have a small area that I am clearing so the sun will get to it and I am thinking of trying to create shmorgishborg for the deer.

I have already ordered 9 apple trees to plant and would like to plant stuff over the next few years to draw the deer in until the trees bear fruit.

Thanks for any info....

Dobber
8 Point
8 Point

--
08 Nov 2009 04:49 PM  
NEW YORK RACK MASTER
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
08 Nov 2009 05:12 PM  

Have you used it ???

Dobber
8 Point
8 Point

--
10 Nov 2009 07:12 PM  
i know many people who do use it, buddy of mine in Wisconsin uses it with great results
PAbowhunter23
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
30 Dec 2009 02:56 PM  

I live in NW Pennsylvania and have tried my luck at food plots for 6 years now.  I also started with small pieces of land and have converted them to food plots.  I have found that with an average number of deer, that if the plot is not large in terms of acreage, that planting peas and brassicas at times will be friutless.  Next year I am not planting anything but clover due to the fact that it can replenish itself when eaten.  Also, these other products, like turnips and peas take better soil condition to grow and prosper.  It is my guess that your soil conditions will not be great the first year you undertake this project.  What area of New york do you live?

---
Active Forums 4.2