Register  | Login
  Search
Buckmasters Forums
Deer Cane and Deer Trails
Last Post 11 Feb 2009 07:44 PM by cory33. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
danrwoods
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
06 Sep 2008 02:13 PM  
I have an active mineral site that deer use when coming and going to my makeshift feeder (a larger kitty litter pan secured by tent stakes). When I put the initial application of a mineral trace block out, I did nothing in preperation other than setting it in a place that can be somewhat seen from the back window for my wife and my soon-to-be 3 year-old future hunting buddy. I bought that mineral trace block and a Trophy Rock and laid both out at the same time. The mineral trace block is right along the wood line where the deer exit and enter back into. The Trophy Rock I placed not even a yard from the feeder. They come in, use the mineral trace block, eat my blend of sweet feed and shelled corn, and exit to the woods. The Trophy Rock has gotten little or no attention by the deer. I believe rain water has taken more of a toll on the Trophy Rock than wildlife itself.

In the almost 3 years that we have lived at this house we have never seen as much wildlife as we have in the past month or two. We have always had deer (some monster 11 to 15 pt. bucks down to tiny fawns), lots of squirrels, and birds, but until I put up my new trail camera I never knew that we had some nocturnal wildlife as well. We have a corn fed coon and something really cool that has just started coming in this past week, a red fox.

My question is kind of three part.

The first being that with the active mineral site can I add a Deer Cane time release block and ready-to-use lick to the mineral trace block or should I move the mineral trace block elsewhere?

The second since the deer have pretty much made a trail around and somewhat through the active site to the feeder, is the Deer Cane hopeful end result going to ruin the trail therefore ruin the deer traffic?

The third and final question is that will the Deer Cane spook off the coon and or the Red Fox from the feeder? I don't know much about foxes, but am willing to learn now.

Well, sorry about the lengthy post, but had a lot on my mind.

If this Deer Cane works here then it is going south with me to my hunting site next week.

I wonder if Wild Hogs like it?

1st Wild Hog: 300lbs. on the hoof - 275lbs. field dressed - 30-06 from 9.75 yards away and closing
Howard
6 Point
6 Point

--
06 Sep 2008 08:38 PM  
Why add something to a mineral site that is already working?
mcraddock
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
06 Sep 2008 09:24 PM  
Posted By danrwoods on 09/06/2008 8:13 AM

The first being that with the active mineral site can I add a Deer Cane time release block and ready-to-use lick to the mineral trace block or should I move the mineral trace block elsewhere?

The second since the deer have pretty much made a trail around and somewhat through the active site to the feeder, is the Deer Cane hopeful end result going to ruin the trail therefore ruin the deer traffic?

The third and final question is that will the Deer Cane spook off the coon and or the Red Fox from the feeder? I don't know much about foxes, but am willing to learn now.

I wonder if Wild Hogs like it?

In answer to first question, yes. Add it in there. It won't affect it as it's pretty much the same thing with a different wrapper.

The answer to your second question depends on some other variables. Is there an alternate route the deer may take? Is there lots of cover around so they will feel secure? Do the deer have an easy escape route from danger?  I have never seen a mineral site adversely affect a feed site though.

And in answer to your third question, no. It has been my experience the a mineral/salt site has never damaged a feed site by being near it or even in it. 

And since you sort of asked a fourth question, I'll answer it too!   Yes !! Hogs love mineral sites. I find their tracks and impressions in the mud where their snouts have been around my trace mineral mud pits all the time.

Hope this helps ya some. But keep in mind that we live states apart and what works for me nmay not necessarily work for you.
PINETREE
8 Point
8 Point

--
29 Sep 2008 07:14 PM  
IF YOU LOOK AT THE DEER CANE IT IS PRETTY MUCH JUST SALT....
MIKE EVERETT
rebel deer hunter
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
29 Sep 2008 11:59 PM  
how long did it take for the deer to use the block? I put one out the weekend before the 20th and nothing has used it yet, its prbly 20yrds from a well traveled deer trail.
SOUTHERN PRIDE
cory
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
11 Feb 2009 07:44 PM  
i bought black magic deer cane put it in a moist spot and the deer love it
go dale jr. #88
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Pay Your Bill Online Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! LinkedIn Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!