Register  | Login
  Search
Buckmasters Forums
?Making a good food plot/deer habitat
Last Post 22 Feb 2008 06:07 PM by tubby. 3 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
rem700hunter
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
22 Feb 2008 01:09 PM  

So I'm new to this hunting thing but really love it.  I've hunted twice on a friends 35 acre property last season.  We've been talking about getting together to get his land ready for the summer/fall months and I'm looking for information.

He has 1 food plot where he plants oats and maybe a few other things, the plot takes up about a 1/2 acre.  The rest of the land is deffinately ecologicly friendly for deer as far as bedding areas and so forth.

My question is what are the best plants to use for deer food?  And what other things can be used for deer attractants?  Maybe salt licks like I've seen posted here before.  I've seen a bunch of things on the net for protein intake and stuff they will love to eat that encourages great antler growth.

Any thoughts?  Also can anyone recommend good books/video's/study material on how to do stuff like this?

tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
22 Feb 2008 04:15 PM  
Yes put out salt licks,mineral salt is really good.As far as planting,try iron clay peas for summer and we use a "deer mix" from a local co-op and add some rape,rye grass and Buck Forage oats to sweeten it up some.If you don't have any clover mix that in as well.
I would also put lime and fertilizer out for your food plot.
Tubby
The God of My Rock;He Is My Sheild;And The Horn Of My Salvation 2 Samuuel,Ch 22
rem700hunter
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
22 Feb 2008 04:43 PM  
What's that "deer mix" you refer to? What's in it? You said you add "rape" to it, what's that?
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
22 Feb 2008 06:07 PM  
I can't remember the name of the stuff,basicly it's a mix of oats,wheat,rye and clover.The rape looks like turnip greens,they eat it really good in archery season and early part of rifle season here.
If you ask for a deer mix at your local co-op they should know what you want.The "Buck Forage Oats" is a more expensive,but they are good to.
Tubby
The God of My Rock;He Is My Sheild;And The Horn Of My Salvation 2 Samuuel,Ch 22
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Pay Your Bill Online Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! LinkedIn Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!