Register  | Login
  Search

Buckmasters Forums

feed and seed mixes
Last Post 03 Feb 2008 12:34 PM by btr568. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
cajunhunter
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
24 Jan 2008 07:21 PM  

I am an avid waterfowl hunter but have gone deer hunting a few times and I'm starting to get buck fever. I am purchasing a lease this week for next season and want to start developing food plots. I have done some research on the internet and was wondering if purchasing feed and seed mixtures such as Antler King is worth the money or what would give me the best result for my money.

cajunhunter

tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
24 Jan 2008 08:52 PM  
I usually use a "deer mix found at local co-ops and add Buck Forage Oats,rape,marshall rye grass and some extra clover.It usually does very well and after you get the clover established it will keep comming back.
To me these big name products are not what they are cracked up to be.
Tubby
The God of My Rock;He Is My Sheild;And The Horn Of My Salvation 2 Samuuel,Ch 22
kickin_buck
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
29 Jan 2008 02:22 PM  
There is nothing wrong with the mixes on the market. However, as tubby said, you can go to a local co-op and get very similar mixes at much lower prices. Over years of putting out different plots I have developed my own mix that I like. I simply go in and tell the guy how big the plot is and what ratio I want the seed mixed. Put a couple of different things out this year, see what the deer like (because what works here may not work there) and then start playing with the mix. It is fun, cheaper than buying pre-mix seed, and you can tailor it to what "your" deer want to eat.
cajunhunter
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
29 Jan 2008 03:19 PM  
Kickin buck and tubby thanks for posting. I am really excited  to start QDM on my land ,it is such a challenge and getting tips for more experienced hunter is very  valuable.
btr568
6 Point
6 Point

--
03 Feb 2008 12:34 PM  
being in the south you will need to plant some good ol' rye grass also it ain't great for'em but most southern deer love it.If you have turkeys you'll need to plant some chufus as well.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! Join Buckmasters Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!