DEER RIFLE DOWN!!! Remington model 715 needs help!!!!!
Last Post 15 Feb 2012 07:20 PM by sgtcliff. 7 Replies.
Author Messages
GibbyV
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
17 Jun 2011 07:20 PM  
I have a model 715 chambered in .308 that I bought new at a gun show in the box. Its been told to me that it is a off spring of the 710 and a cheap model at that. I have shot it four times in the last two years that I have owned it. After every outing I clean it and oil it. The first two times that I had it out it shot great with no problems. The last two times I took it out it started to jam. The bolt feels like it is starting to cease, but it only happens when there is a round chambered. Which is why I am confused. The first round cycles perfect then after that it gets harder and harder to cycle the bolt. Any ideas on what is going on? I did switch from the Remington ammo to Hornady. Would this make a difference? Should I just take the loss and move on to something else?
bill
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
20 Jun 2011 01:48 PM  
my first thought would be to call or e-mail remington customer service. might give that a try. i have a 710 and it was real tight at first but got better with usage.
RobertM
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
21 Jun 2011 01:09 PM  
Hello GameHunter3595, I was wondering how much oil and what kind of oil you are using on your gun? Excessive oil might be causing the issue or the oil might be gumming up from the heat generated when fired.

Just a thought.
GibbyV
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
28 Jun 2011 03:31 PM  
RobbertM, I think my problem is that i am using rem oil but it is the spray on dry lubericant, which I figure would also cause gumming. So I am going to try the regular rem oil.
RobertM
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
29 Jun 2011 01:09 PM  
Indeed that could be the cause of your problem. Try a very light coat of Rem Oil and see if that works. If not, post the results so we can further diagnosis the issue.
GibbyV
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
12 Jul 2011 06:48 PM  
Well Robert I used the original Rem Oil and had some success, I think it is going to take some good cleaning and let the oil have a good soak. It was still a bit sticky but not to the point I couldn't work the bolt. I will post more after I get a chance to give it a thourough cleaning.
RobertM
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
13 Jul 2011 06:13 PM  
Not so sure about the "good soak". After thoroughly clean (special attention to the locking lugs), I would recommend putting a small amount of oil on the rag and coating everything. Then with a dry clean rag, wiping the oil off leaving a thin film of oil.

With oil, less is more.

Keep me posted.

Rob
Clifford Reed
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
15 Feb 2012 07:20 PM  
My first question is are you shooting new ammo or reloads? It didn't say in your original question. If you are shooting reloads we would start there. If it is new ammo then we go a different direction.
I know this topic is old but if you are still having problems and haven't thrown away/sold the rifle I would be glad o offer a suggestion to your problem.
If not, sorry for your trouble=the problem with rifles today is that most of us do not or cannot afford to just get rid of the thing and purchase another.

---
Active Forums 4.2