Register  | Login
  Search
Buckmasters Forums
Best brand of ammo and grain bullet
Last Post 08 Jul 2009 06:55 PM by doeslayer. 16 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Jim
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
09 Sep 2007 09:45 PM  
I just bought a new Remington 700 Buckmaster model 300 Win Mag and wanted to get an idea of what the best brand ammo and what grain bullet I should shoot for large south Texas white tail. I originally bought Remington 180 grain core lock and sighted it in about 2" high at 100 yds. I may have some shots that are any where from 100 yds to 400 yds. If anyone has an opinion, please drop me a note at topgun95@sbcglobal.net 
Thanks,
Jim
wrenchman30
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
10 Sep 2007 05:50 AM  
the core loct bullet is a rapid expansion bullet. it has taken thousands of deer. if it shoots well there is no reason it wont kill a deer as far as you can shoot. if your looking for a non premium bullet that performs as well as a premium bullet the win power point ammo is really a tough bullet. i would get some quickly as ammo just went up last monday 23 percent at walmarts. if you can find some locally maybe they havent raised there prices yet.
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
10 Sep 2007 02:56 PM  
I like the Remington 150 grn core loct for my dad's 300 win mag.(Weatherby Vangaurd)
Tubby
The God of My Rock;He Is My Sheild;And The Horn Of My Salvation 2 Samuuel,Ch 22
J.Dworek
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
11 Sep 2007 12:26 AM  
I'd go with the 180 grain Nosler Partition or Accu Bond's.
kmehaffey
6 Point
6 Point

--
13 Sep 2007 04:18 AM  
topgun
Try several brands,and bullet weights,to see which ammo shoots best from your rifle.
xkmorris
6 Point
6 Point

--
13 Sep 2007 12:10 PM  
I use the winchester 180 gr power points.
K'Chi Wapiti
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
11 Jan 2008 01:31 PM  
Posted By Kmehaffey on 09/12/2007 10:18 PM
topgun
Try several brands,and bullet weights,to see which ammo shoots best from your rifle.

Totally agree with Kmehaffey. No 2 are the same. find the 2 or 3 of the same grain that give the best groups at 100, then find out which one of those that give the best groups at the maximum range you will be shooting deer.
randyb
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
11 Jan 2008 10:22 PM  
if you want the best, I would go with the hornady 165 grain sst bulllet or the 165 hornady btsp bulllet. these are the top notch bullets. and they cannot be out shot.
K'Chi Wapiti
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
12 Jan 2008 01:35 AM  
What I was trying to say is that just because your friend gets great accuracy with brand x using his or her gun does not mean that it will perform as good in your gun. Yes, there are "better" bullets on the market than others. > This does not mean it is the "right" bullet for your gun.
bertman
6 Point
6 Point

--
14 Jan 2008 03:43 AM  
i have a ruger 300.i shoot winchester ballistic silver tips.140gr.
rebel deer hunter
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
14 Jan 2008 04:47 PM  
my dad has a 300 wea mag and shoots the eldorado 165 gr and when a deer or hogs gets hit he's done
SOUTHERN PRIDE
SJAdventures
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
18 Jan 2008 11:10 PM  
Like said, find out first what will shoot good through it. The core lokts will be more than enough for whitetail and the 180's out of your 300 WM may save some meat over the 150's and 165 gr bullets.
sjadventures@cableone.net
www.sportsmansjunction.com
Booking Hunting Trips Worldwide
majthor
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
22 Jan 2008 03:30 PM  
If you are buying "box" cartridges, you need to do as some have suggested and try a couple of different brands to see which shoots best. When you settle on a brand, stick with it, unless you begin to see performance issues with them. Also, when you decide, buy several boxes of the cartridges with the same manufacturer's lot number.

Personally, for "box" cartridges, I buy Hornady Custom with SST bullets. These are the closest I have found to hand loads without paying the handload price.
Ross Tyser
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
16 Mar 2008 05:16 AM  
All of the ammos mentioned here are good but I must agree with those that have mentioned trying several different brands to find what will work best in your rifle. Please contact me off list and I will be glad to send you some of our 300 WinMag to try in your rifle. Unfortunately for you , I think once you use ours you will not want to use anything else. My email is ross@drtammo.com
Teach Deer
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
16 Jan 2009 06:18 PM  
I shoot Winchester Supreme 150 grain Ballistic Silvertips out of my 7mm Remington Magnum...absolutely devestating. Sighted in at 200 yards, and have it regulated and practiced with out to 500 yards.

Longest shot was 275 yards...8 inch exit wound...NO TRACKING!
TAC
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
12 Mar 2009 03:55 AM  
A buddy of mine reloads me some AWESOME 300 win mag shells with the Barnes TSX (tipped tripple shock) 180 grain bullets.  I have dropped every deer in his tracks that I have shot with this bullet.
doeslayer
6 Point
6 Point

--
08 Jul 2009 06:55 PM  
i shoot Winchester Silver tip Ballistic's out of both a 30-06 and a 25-06 have never had to trail a deer with either of these . when hit they go down in sight.
wake me up early, be good to my dogs and teach my children to pray.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Pay Your Bill Online Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! LinkedIn Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!