Register  | Login
  Search
Buckmasters Forums
Inexpensive deer slugs
Last Post 07 Sep 2007 04:12 PM by rackmaster4413. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Forestclimber
6 Point
6 Point

--
06 Aug 2007 07:03 PM  
I tried shooting 300 grain wadcutters (44 caliber) in a green 50 caliber sabot with 80 grains of 3F.  They shot great  They are way less expensive than Hornady XTP's. I would think they would be very effective on deer.
Dakota Danny
6 Point
6 Point

--
08 Aug 2007 06:38 AM  
I bought cheap slugs to sight in my shotgun before a MN hunt...I didn't pay attention, they were Magnums. Holy crap, they should have paid me for suffering. Glad to see you found a good one that isn't a killer on the budget. I would have rather bought the premiums if it would have been less pain!
rackmaster4413
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
09 Aug 2007 12:37 AM  
i always use ko's or brennekes they are very in expensive and people are wrong when they tell you that you need expensive slugs like lightfields or whatever
worktohunt
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
18 Aug 2007 11:42 PM  
ive also been shooting the Brennekkes and KO's for the last 6-8 years and always pattern amazing tight at 100 yards. True story that got me hooked.
6 years ago we were down at deer camp the ight before our MN shotgun opener doing som e bowhunting. We decided to make sure the guns were still sighted in fomr a few weeks prior when we were out. start walking to the little range we have b4 we went out on night stand. as we are walking along a ridge, we see a woodchuck walking along the bottom of the ridge. We guesstimated it to be about 100-120 yards. long story short my buddy bets me i cant hit it.I pull up with   a KO 2 3/4 in12 guage. One shot, belew him to bits. It was total luck, but ever since then, ive had total confidence in that round. later thenext year once we had invested in rangefinders, we ranged it out of curiousity. 132 yards. No kidding. Thats one of those spots in the woods whenever any of us walk down that ridge, it comes up.... Ive killed deer at 100 and also 88 yards with them since. Very good slugs...
Forestclimber
6 Point
6 Point

--
19 Aug 2007 07:29 PM  
I meant muzzleloader slugs. Sorry.
Trey
6 Point
6 Point

--
19 Aug 2007 08:30 PM  
when it comes to the right cartridge that I like and am confortable with, money is not an object. when you settle for less its cost you more later, because you will go buy something better.
mcraddock
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
21 Aug 2007 02:22 AM  
As for muzzle loader bullets, I use Hornandy XTP 250 grain sabots and 100 grains of Pyrodex  pellets in my NEF Huntsman break-top. 

If you find something that works for you consistently, don't bother changing it just because someone puts some new product on the market. Every year there is a new bullet introduced that "out-performs all it's competitors". But if what you had last year killed a deer, it can kill a deer this year too.
rackmaster4413
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
07 Sep 2007 04:12 PM  
well this will be my 3rd year hunting and i am 15 years old and it is easy for me to buy or shoot whatever people tell me to do, i have found that the powerpelts 295 grain bullets are the way to go. you dont have to worry about putting the sabot in the casing. you just put the powder and ram that bullet down. Last year i shot a buttonbuck that was about 80 to 100lbs and i shot it right in the shoulder and it went probablly 10 yards and crashed
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Pay Your Bill Online Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! LinkedIn Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!