Register  | Login
  Search

Buckmasters Forums

weatherby 25-06 ???
Last Post 08 Jan 2010 04:13 PM by WVHunter129. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
jchdh
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
25 Dec 2009 08:13 PM  

My dad got me a weatherby vanguard 25-06 after I told him that I wanted something that has greater range then my 30-06.  I need some help deciding what type of bullet to use if i want to go deer hunting at ranges from 0-300 yards. please HELP!!!

tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
26 Dec 2009 07:46 PM  
Look at Hornady or Remington's web sites and get some kind of idea of bullet types,weights and ballistics.That will help you make a good decision on a round.I can't speak for that caliber but both brands perform well in my Ruger 270
Tubby
The God of My Rock;He Is My Sheild;And The Horn Of My Salvation 2 Samuuel,Ch 22
WVHunter129
Forum Administrator
8 Point
8 Point

--
05 Jan 2010 03:23 PM  
The 25-06 is a great round. I can't really help you with store bought ammo since I reload for all my rifles, handguns and shotguns. I have purchased Federal Fusion 120 grain (I think that was the right grain) and shot them, but didn't use them to hunt just to test my rifle. I reload Nosler 115 grain ballistic tips in Winchester brass with CCI primers with IMR4064 powder. I got a nickle size 3 shot group at 100 yards in the bullseye with my reloads. I took a nice doe this past year during our firearms season using the Nosler 115 grain bullet. The doe only went 20 yards from where she was shot and dropped. The bullet did its job.

From what I have checked that with my rifle zero'd at 100 yards that I am good out to about 400 yards with about a 6 inch drop (I believe that is right), don't have the books here at work to verify what I am saying.

25-06 is a great caliber and with the right bullet weight you should not have a problem with taking deer from 0 to 300 yards. The 25-06 is a flat shooting round and is great for those long shots like out west hunting antelope.
WVHunter129
Live to Hunt/Hunt to Live
Forum Administrator
J.Dworek
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
05 Jan 2010 04:13 PM  
My son an I both shoot 25-06's I reload for both rifle's. We shoot the Nosler Partition's in 120 grains or the Nosler Accu Bonds in 110 grains,we've even taken a few elk with the Partitions.It's all in where you place your shot.
jchdh
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
08 Jan 2010 03:08 AM  
yea we zeroed it in at 50 yards and it dropped 6 in. at 300 yds. thats with a 100 gr. remmington
WVHunter129
Forum Administrator
8 Point
8 Point

--
08 Jan 2010 04:13 PM  
jch, you can't beat that round for long shots. And the recoil isn't that bad at all. It doesn't even kick as hard as my Remington Model 700 in 30-06. My 25-06 is a Marlin XL7. I have it topped off with a Center Point 6-24x40 scope and a Harris bi-pod underneath. The Marlin XL7 has what is called the Pro-Fire trigger, which is similiar to the Accu-Trigger that Savage has. I got the Marlin XL7 brand new for $339. Not bad for a good rifle. It has the synthetic stock a parkerized barrel and a fluted bolt. Very nice rifle.
WVHunter129
Live to Hunt/Hunt to Live
Forum Administrator
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! Join Buckmasters Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!