Register  | Login
  Search

Buckmasters Forums

my first deer rifle
Last Post 18 Nov 2009 08:23 PM by Kodiakmac. 6 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
hank whitt
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
24 Oct 2009 01:23 AM  

i was wondering what would be a good deer rifle for anywhere in the us.i want something that shoots flat and accurate. i am looking at a 25/06.is this a good choice or are they something better.thanks.

tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
24 Oct 2009 03:07 AM  
I like the 270,it has a heavier bullet but can still reach on out there.
Tubby
The God of My Rock;He Is My Sheild;And The Horn Of My Salvation 2 Samuuel,Ch 22
Fossilman
6 Point
6 Point

--
24 Oct 2009 03:51 PM  
I shoot a 7mm Mag,it can go down to 145's and up to 175's for the big game.............Not much recoil either...
God,family and friends,nothing better!!
JBinMontana
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
26 Oct 2009 11:27 AM  

I like the 7mm-08, its mild to shoot and a great flat shooter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7mm-08_Remington

JB
Avid lover of the 7mm-08
WVHunter129
Forum Administrator
8 Point
8 Point

--
26 Oct 2009 12:45 PM  
The 25-06 is a great choice. Now of course it might be a little small for very large game, but for whitetail, mule deer and antelope I think it is the perfect choice. It is a flat shooting and fast round to use.

I just recently purchased a Marlin XL7 bolt action in 25-06. I have it shooting a 3 shot group the size of a dime at 100 yards, dead center the bulls eye. The Marlin XL7 would be an excellent choice in a rifle if you are looking to save some money.

I purchased my XL7 for $339. It does not have iron sites but does come with a weaver base for mounting a scope. Marlin uses what they call the Pro Fire trigger system, which strangley looks like the Savage Accu-Trigger. The bolt is fluted, the barrel is parkerized and it comes with a synthetic stock.

I do my own reloading and have been working up a load for it.

The 25-06 has many, if you reload, brands and types of bullets to use. You can hunt anything from varmints up to the whitetail and mule deer.
WVHunter129
Live to Hunt/Hunt to Live
Forum Administrator
Gehee
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
12 Nov 2009 12:55 AM  
the 25-06 is a good choice, especially if long range shooting is being done. for comparable ballistics in a smaller rifle (the 25 needs a 24" barrel to perform well) a 7mm-08 provides comparable recoil, better sd and can perform from a short action with a 20" barrel. much better overall if you're hunting in cover, but not as good if you're hunting open country... if you hunt out west, the 25 is the better of the two.
Jamie MacMaster
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
18 Nov 2009 08:23 PM  
I love my old 6.5 Swede, but if I ever lost it and couldn't get another, I'd take a long hard look at the 7mm-08.
Robin Hood had it right: As long as a man has deer and beer, he needs very little government.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! Join Buckmasters Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!