Register  | Login
  Search
Buckmasters Forums
help choosing a round
Last Post 12 Nov 2009 12:53 AM by gehee. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
howard
6 Point
6 Point

--
03 Aug 2009 07:31 PM  
Hey guys (and gals) I have a 7mm-08 and have been shootng federal fusions. At longer ranges the fusions are deadly, but end of last season I moved to a good location where most shots are 50-75 yds. the fusions pass right thru without doing much damage. What would be a good factory load for the closer ranges? A friend with same gun and cal. uses the old standby remington core-lokt ,he says are good at long and short. What are your thoughts?
Thanks
Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime.
monsterbuck
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
04 Aug 2009 06:21 PM  
hey not real familiar with the 7mm08 but i use corelokt in my3006 and win ballistic silvertips in my 270 deadly short and long shot doe at 40 yrds exit was bout the size of your fist just make sure u hit the vitals goood luck
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
06 Aug 2009 12:24 AM  
The 140 grn cor lokt is a very good round in the 7mm-08.It's what my son uses in his.It's accurate from 25 to 200 yds
Tubby
The God of My Rock;He Is My Sheild;And The Horn Of My Salvation 2 Samuuel,Ch 22
WVHunter129
Forum Administrator
8 Point
8 Point

--
26 Aug 2009 07:58 PM  
Go to a heavier bullet weight in the Federal Fusions. You didn't state what weight you were using, but a lighter grain bullet at close range will go right through a deer, a heavier grain bullet will have more impact on close range but won't be good out on a long range shot.
WVHunter129
Live to Hunt/Hunt to Live
Forum Administrator
Shooter
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
03 Nov 2009 03:38 PM  
Posted By WVHunter129 on 08/26/2009 1:58 PM
Go to a heavier bullet weight in the Federal Fusions. You didn't state what weight you were using, but a lighter grain bullet at close range will go right through a deer, a heavier grain bullet will have more impact on close range but won't be good out on a long range shot.

How do you figure a heavier bullet "won't be good on a long range shot"?

Think momentum my friend. mass X velocity

A lighter bullet slows down at a much higher rate of speed than a heavier bullet.............

Of course "Sectional Density" & "Ballistic Coefficient" have a play also.

It has always been my observations that a lighter bullet at a higher rate of speed will fragment easier upon impact at short distances more so than a heavier bullet, thus maybe NOT penetrating the vitals as needed for a clean kill.

Gehee
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
12 Nov 2009 12:53 AM  

the corlokts will work but i find that a softer  bullet puts them down quickly from this round.  i use the hornady sst, but the winchester ballistic silver tip, the federal ballistic tip and the remington accutip will do the same thing.  since switching to the hornady sst i haven't had a deer complete a step after being shot with a 7-08... including an 8 1/2 y/o 220 (post rut weight) buck last year that collapsed in his tracks.  far lung poured out.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Pay Your Bill Online Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! LinkedIn Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!