Register  | Login
  Search

Buckmasters Forums

7mm Rem Mag Ammo
Last Post 26 Oct 2009 02:27 PM by Shuter. 10 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Kantuck Raised
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
27 Jul 2009 01:55 PM  

Ammo is always a matter of opinion and I am in need of everyone's opinion.  I plan on only shooting Remington Ammo so out of the Remington 7mm Rem Mag ammo, what grain and what type of round do you use for deer hunting under 500 yards?

colebuckk
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
27 Jul 2009 04:36 PM  
I like the 150 gr remington premier scirocco bonded at 300 yds can cover a three shot group with a quater. Every deer I shot with these dropped in its tracks
Kantuck Raised
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
27 Jul 2009 05:49 PM  
Good deal. Thanks!
hank
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
28 Jul 2009 04:14 AM  
its not what we like its what shoots best in your gun you really should try different bullet weights compostion manufacturer to see what your gun likes hank
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
28 Jul 2009 08:31 PM  
Try 154 grn Hornady boat tail spire points
Tubby
The God of My Rock;He Is My Sheild;And The Horn Of My Salvation 2 Samuuel,Ch 22
J.Dworek
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
29 Jul 2009 01:30 PM  
I've been useing the 150 gr. Nosler Partition,going to reload 140 gr. Nosler Accu Bond's this year, the Accu Bond's have performed real good in are 25-06 's .
rodney
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
31 Jul 2009 02:20 AM  
Try Remington 140 grain corlokt or the same in ultra bonded
mcraddock
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
02 Aug 2009 12:02 PM  
I own this same cartridge in a Browning A-bolt.

I've always had the best success with Winchester 150 grain Power Points. They are also the cheapest that Winchester offers. I tried others and wound up going back to these.

Whatever it is you choose that shoots well, stick with it. Don't bother trying all these new cartridges unless you are just displeased with you current setup.
Kantuck Raised
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
03 Aug 2009 01:22 PM  
Posted By mcraddock on 08/02/2009 6:02 AM
I own this same cartridge in a Browning A-bolt.

I've always had the best success with Winchester 150 grain Power Points. They are also the cheapest that Winchester offers. I tried others and wound up going back to these.

Whatever it is you choose that shoots well, stick with it. Don't bother trying all these new cartridges unless you are just displeased with you current setup.

I actually have the same rounds as you at my house.  Sad thing is I have not got a chance to put them down range yet.
Fossilman
6 Point
6 Point

--
25 Oct 2009 09:30 PM  
I shoot 150 Gr. with a partion bullet.....................
God,family and friends,nothing better!!
Shooter
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
26 Oct 2009 02:27 PM  
Posted By Kantuck_Raised on 07/27/2009 7:55 AM

Ammo is always a matter of opinion and I am in need of everyone's opinion.  I plan on only shooting Remington Ammo so out of the Remington 7mm Rem Mag ammo, what grain and what type of round do you use for deer hunting under 500 yards?

When I first started long range deer shooting about 20 years ago I always thought that bullets were a matter of opinion also.............

But since you asked for under 500 yard bullets I might throw in my 2 cents.

Most bullets have a certain range of velocity they need to obtain to perform as they were designed. For instance, varmint bullets are built to "Open up", or expand at high velocities, and also function the same at lower velocities than the "Bonded" and.or "Core-Lokt" bullets. When you get out to 500 yards you will need a bullet that will expand at least some and those two will not because the velocity is too low at that range.

Example: A 160 grain Partition bullet leaves the muzzle at about 3000 fps in a 7mm Mag but decreases it's velocity to about 2000 fps at 500 yards, which is not enough velocity for it to function at it's best at that range. What you will get is a clean hole through the animal with very little resulted shock or bleeding.

A lower weighted "Varmint" type bullet will lose a little more velocity at 500 yards and up.............. and due to it's thinner jacket and fabrication will not penetrate as deep but will cause more of a hydraulic shock effect throughout the vital organs, thus giving you a better chance of retrieving your animal.

On the other hand, a lighter "Varmint" type bullet might open up tremendously upon impact without much penetration at a higher velocity and/or at a closer range, thus wounding a deer externally and him running off.

It took me a long time to figure out why my Core-Lokts weren't killing deer at 600 to 700 yards when I know I had hit them properly..................

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! Join Buckmasters Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!