Register  | Login
  Search

Buckmasters Forums

9mm Glock vs. .40 cal Glock
Last Post 09 Aug 2007 04:22 AM by Kmehaffey. 17 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
cfiloteo3
6 Point
6 Point

--
04 Aug 2007 09:05 AM  

Both of my parents are Bexar County Sherriff's and they are issued the .40 cal glock. I have been interested in buying one, but I wondered how much of a difference the 9mm glock was. Any input would be good
Crystal City,
Zavala County,
Deep South Texas
Firepoggy
8 Point
8 Point

--
04 Aug 2007 04:53 PM  
The .40 was standard issue at my dept as well as 99% of the depts in my area. The only dept that was issuing a 9mm was the Des Moines Police Dept.

Our range instructor used to say "If you shoot a suspect with 9mm, be ready to be shot back".

Take it for what it is worth, but IMO, the .40 is a better all around caliber. Better knock down and penetration than a 9mm, and less kick/better control than a .45
To Authenticate the posting experience, this post may contain impact shots.
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
04 Aug 2007 07:44 PM  
Posted By Firepoggy on 08/04/2007 10:53 AM
The .40 was standard issue at my dept as well as 99% of the depts in my area. The only dept that was issuing a 9mm was the Des Moines Police Dept.

Our range instructor used to say "If you shoot a suspect with 9mm, be ready to be shot back".

Take it for what it is worth, but IMO, the .40 is a better all around caliber. Better knock down and penetration than a 9mm, and less kick/better control than a .45

Well put Firepoggy.I have a Glock 23 in 40 cal and I love it.
Tubby
The God of My Rock;He Is My Sheild;And The Horn Of My Salvation 2 Samuuel,Ch 22
Forestclimber
6 Point
6 Point

--
05 Aug 2007 04:12 AM  
Get the 40.
Ronald Ray Jr.
6 Point
6 Point

--
05 Aug 2007 01:10 PM  
Yea, about 11 or 12 years ago (more or less) my grandmother was shot by a 9mm at a Mc Donalds in California. And she was hurt, but she popped the bullet out like popping a zit. It didn't go in very far, which was a good thing. That is why I don't get why the Military switched to 9mm's for? I know on the ships that I was on during the time I was in the Navy (1986-1997) they still used 45's. Some ships had the 9mm before I left, but not mine. But I was told about a 1/2 a year after I left the ship got 9mm's Which I think was a waste of time, because about 6 to 18 months after that the ship decomm'd...

I mean I now own a 9mm, a Baby Desert Eagle. But I mostly bought it for target practice. I really wanted a Colt 45 like I was trained to use while in the Navy. But I could not afford the one that they had at the Pawn shop here in my home town. So I bought the 9mm Baby Desert Eagle that they had for about $140. The colt .45 they had was about 3 times that.
Ronald Lee Ray Jr.
rrjr11@cox.net
Disabled Navy Veteran
Ronald Ray Jr.
6 Point
6 Point

--
05 Aug 2007 01:12 PM  
Oh, I forgot to say when my grandmother was shot it went thru the restaurant's window. So I don't know if that helped my grandmother from being hurt more than she was. But I do remember being told that it was a 9mm that she was shot by...
Ronald Lee Ray Jr.
rrjr11@cox.net
Disabled Navy Veteran
eversboys
6 Point
6 Point

--
05 Aug 2007 10:09 PM  
Dont know about the Glock but I have a Ruger S&W .40
move once, ive gotcha
move twice, youre dead
Conner Spohn
6 Point
6 Point

--
06 Aug 2007 01:35 PM  
I own both and would not want to get hit with either of them. Shoot what you are comfortable with.
Vandy
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
06 Aug 2007 04:34 PM  
Never owned a glock but I prefer the .40 over 9mm. Go with whichever you are most comfortable with and get good ammo and lots of practice. A miss with a big bullet is a lot worse than a hit with a small one.
Eric Scivicque
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
06 Aug 2007 09:23 PM  
Alot of what you hear about the 9mm vs 40 debate is all heresay and statistics doctoring. A 9mm will do just as much damage as a .40 the only difference is that 40 is more expensive. It is .45ACP for me or nothing. As for the .45 being less controllable it all depends on the gun. A 1911 in 45 has less recoil and muzzle flip than a glock in 9mm.
Peace through superior firepower.

“The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail, the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation.” Col. Jeff Cooper USMC.
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
07 Aug 2007 03:44 AM  
It's kinda like hunting,sometimes it's not how big your gun is ,it's how well you can hit with it.
Tubby
Conner Spohn
6 Point
6 Point

--
07 Aug 2007 01:04 PM  
Posted By tubby on 08/06/2007 9:44 PM
It's kinda like hunting,sometimes it's not how big your gun is ,it's how well you can hit with it.

Amen!
Dakota Danny
6 Point
6 Point

--
08 Aug 2007 06:31 AM  
Check your local laws if you plan to use either for hunting! Even as a sidearm, most states have minimums for handguns used to take deer. In SD, neither are deemed sufficient by our state to carry for deer hunting. If you want to just enjoy shooting, go with either.

The comment about the 9mm and 40 being statistics manipulation seems distorted more than the accusations. The true history of the 40 involves the 10mm really. The FBI was in a shootout in Florida. When it was all done, several of the good guys were injured or killed. They determined that suspects who were hit in the critical area of the chest were able to continue fighting. This continuation of fire exchange ultimately resulted in injury or demise of a good guy (or guys). I forget all the details. Regardless...the government, said NEVER again, so they came out with a cannon of a round for semi-autos the 10mm. The downside to this round is that it's recoil made several smaller framed guys and most gals so afraid of the recoil, that they had difficulty qualifying. After this, the round was slightly downsized to a more reasonable 40 cal. This round is a step between the 10mm and the 9mm. To claim any of the 3 as equal would be inaccurate and a true distortion of statistics. That said, I'd not volunteer to step in front of any of them as someone else said.

Determine your usage, then research. A good glock is going to cost you $500-800, it would be a shame if you bought one that you legally couldn't hunt with - if that is one of the reasons to buy.

I went with the 20-C. It is a 10mm with ports on the top of the barrel (C - designation - misnomer compensated). True compensation is addition of weight to the bottom of the barrel to eliminate the barrel bounce when you shoot. This is a ported barrel. I don't use it for close combat, so the ports are not an issue to me. If I were taking prisoners with it, I admit the port blast would be a concern...
Conner Spohn
6 Point
6 Point

--
08 Aug 2007 12:44 PM  
My new Glock.
Conner Spohn
6 Point
6 Point

--
08 Aug 2007 12:51 PM  
Me shooting my new Glock.
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
08 Aug 2007 01:40 PM  

Now that's a good one!

Tubby
Firepoggy
8 Point
8 Point

--
09 Aug 2007 02:14 AM  
I like the cell phone
To Authenticate the posting experience, this post may contain impact shots.
kmehaffey
6 Point
6 Point

--
09 Aug 2007 04:22 AM  
I carry a Glock 23,in 40S&W. My first Carry peice was a Taurus PT908,What a peice of junk! At the time I owned the 908 I was shooting a lot of bowling pins,the 9MM wouldn't penetrate the bowling pins,most of the time!After buying the Glock 23 and shooting bowling pins,I found,the 40S&W plowed right through the pins!Every shot! I won't carry anything less than the 40S&W.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! Join Buckmasters Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!