Register  | Login
  Search
Buckmasters Forums
sighting in muzzle loaders????????
Last Post 08 Jul 2009 07:00 PM by doeslayer. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
goose
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
27 Jan 2009 05:13 AM  
Have a TC Black Diamond muzzle loader I have tested different types of bullets. What is the best bullet that has a great knock down power without chasing a wounded deer across country?
rebel deer hunter
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
27 Jan 2009 10:46 PM  
I like the powerbelt bullets,195 gr with 100 grs of powder, my friend uses 225 gr and shot a buck double lung but he still ran about 80 yards
SOUTHERN PRIDE
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
27 Jan 2009 11:25 PM  
I use 100 grns of pyrodex pellets with hornady XTP 240 grn bullets,they are very accurate...no chance tosee what they do to a deer
Tubby
The God of My Rock;He Is My Sheild;And The Horn Of My Salvation 2 Samuuel,Ch 22
goose
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
28 Jan 2009 12:56 AM  
Was going to hunt with powerbelts but with reading and hearing about them people were loosing there deer to bad penitration.
Dakota Danny
6 Point
6 Point

--
30 Jan 2009 03:31 AM  
I find it hard to believe that a 45 or 50 caliber bullet would not get the job done if it punches both lungs, no matter how good or bad the bullet is. There were countless deer harvested with nothing more than miniballs before we had our inline muzzleloading rifles. Many guys who lose deer are unwilling to acknowledge other sources of the problem. What I'm saying is show me a case with a confirmed hit on the vitals - where the deer was lost. I placed a shot on the back of the lungs and one lobe of a liver. The deer ran 100 yards or so. It clearly wasn't the bullet's fault. I shot it a little far back. When the deer lunged forward, I could tell she was hit hard, it was almost like some of the shoulder shots I've seen.

I guess what I'm saying is that we should take all accounts with a grain of salt. What if that deer wasn't hit as well as that person swears. I don't know about you, but a muzzleloader puts out quite a bit of recoil and smoke...making it difficult to see the point of impact. I guess I would focus more on the accuracy and shooting within the limitations of your situation.

Punch any 1/2 inch hole through both lungs, and I bet you'll find your deer.
doeslayer
6 Point
6 Point

--
08 Jul 2009 07:00 PM  
I shoot Power belt' s 245 Grain with 100 grains of triple 7 powder and when properly hit it does the job. As what Dakota say's above he is totally right, a well placed shot with the rifle's that are on the market today there should be no problem in finding your deer.
wake me up early, be good to my dogs and teach my children to pray.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Pay Your Bill Online Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! LinkedIn Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!