Register  | Login
  Search
Buckmasters Forums
i have a new 308 which type of ammo is the best
Last Post 01 Dec 2009 12:04 AM by fmsniper. 15 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
dman12
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
26 Jan 2009 11:47 PM  
i just got this new 308 for christmas and i would like to know  which type of ammo would be the best for me to shoot in it
Jeremiah Johnson
6 Point
6 Point

--
28 Jan 2009 05:44 PM  
My Ruger M77 digests 150 & 180 Rem. Corelok pretty good. Look for military surplus for playing.
dman12
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
28 Jan 2009 10:03 PM  
ok cause i tried the premium federal ammunition but every one says that is not an accurate bullet to shoot
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
28 Jan 2009 11:38 PM  
I like the Remington and Hornady line of bullets,my son shoots a 7mm-08 and the remington bullets are very accurate
Tubby
The God of My Rock;He Is My Sheild;And The Horn Of My Salvation 2 Samuuel,Ch 22
dman12
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
31 Jan 2009 06:01 PM  
thank you i will try those types and let you know wich one i like best
kmehaffey
6 Point
6 Point

--
31 Jan 2009 10:23 PM  
You will be better off to try several different brands of 308 ammo. ie Remington,Winchester, Federal, and others,to determain what ammo your rifle likes. All guns are different and just because a particular brand of ammo shoots well in an identical rifle .doesn't mean it will perform in your rifle. So buy as much ammo that you can afford and try them all out,your rifle will let you know which ammo it likes best !
dman12
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
01 Feb 2009 01:49 PM  
ok buddy thank you i will do that but i tried the federal and they suck bad well in my gun atleast
Backyard Buck
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
04 Feb 2009 10:30 PM  
I agree you must try several different makes to find the one you like the best.
I have a .308 and I use Hornady light mag 150 grain sst for hunting. I think it's the only light mag you can get for a 308. That baby is flyin out at 3000 fps at muzzle! The ballistics are close to a 300 mag up to 100 yards. I think it's the flattest shooting round for a 308. They say not to use it in a semi auto, not sure why.
I have taken 4 deer with it, and all dropped in their tracks. LARGE exit holes.
They are a little expensive though, $32 for 20.
dman12
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
06 Feb 2009 12:45 AM  
the first deer i ever killed was this year and i used my dads 308 and it had a small entry hole but a large exit hole i was shooting 150 grain remington corloct
mcraddock
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
07 Feb 2009 10:40 PM  
You are going to get alot of different opinions on this one! Me, Winchester 150 grain Power-Points do best and are cost effective.
dman12
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
08 Feb 2009 02:51 PM  
ok i will try those my dad has some of them
ashae70
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
15 Jul 2009 05:44 PM  
I agree with several of the responces, you should try many brands and bullet weights at the range before you know what is correct for you. if you cannot find what you are looking for in the stores find a custom loader who can work up the correct bullet for what you want exactly, it really doesn't cost that much more and you know what you are shooting and that the bullet will hit the targer each time you squeaze off.
hank
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
17 Jul 2009 07:13 AM  
i own a savage and i called them to see what bullet to use or did they recommend a couple they returned my call and stated to use winchester silvertip in 168 grain i tried it and havent changed in 15 years why dont you call the manufacturer and see what they recommend i also used some 165 grainwinchester standard loads and they shot just as well but i stayed with the premiumammo because i liked the way it performed on caribou at 165 yards hank
Gehee
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
12 Nov 2009 01:03 AM  
try a number of brands and even within a brand different bullets. especially with federal as they load bullets from 4 or 5 bullet makers and each one will be different in your gun.

also, what you will be hunting will affect what you need. you will see deer go down faster and typically get better accuracy from a ballistic tip type bullet than you will with a harder bullet (see the current buckmasters article about the test result from nearly 500 kills), however you really shouldn't tackle elk or moose with a soft bullet like that.
Fossilman
6 Point
6 Point

--
27 Nov 2009 03:01 PM  
You have to experiment with several types of ammo and see what shoots the best......
God,family and friends,nothing better!!
fmsniper
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
01 Dec 2009 12:04 AM  

1st determine you twist rate to figure what weight bullet, 1/10 normal for most rifles handle 168 grain very well, i shoot them out to 1000 meters on steel and 600 on deer.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Pay Your Bill Online Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! LinkedIn Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!