Register  | Login
  Search

Buckmasters Forums

Which rifle to use?
Last Post 30 Dec 2008 04:35 AM by stubs. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Papa Burgundy
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
28 Dec 2008 11:51 PM  
I need some guidance from you folks. I am going on a whitetail hunt in Kansas, which will be the first of many since my father-in-law owns a 100acre farm there. I am torn between what rifle to use for the potentially long distance shooting. I grew up hunting in upstate NY and hunt nothing but woods, thick woods. Should I use my Savage 30.06( and if so what grain bullet?) or I was thinking about getting either a remington model 700 7mm mag, or a 300win. Which of these would give me the greatest chance for success? And is the 30.06 a viable option?
Ready...aim...Dead!!
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
29 Dec 2008 12:50 AM  
I would say the 30/06,7mm mag or the 300 win mag are all good choices.I also love my 270 win it's a good flat shooting gun .
Tubby
The God of My Rock;He Is My Sheild;And The Horn Of My Salvation 2 Samuuel,Ch 22
Papa Burgundy
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
29 Dec 2008 01:11 AM  
Thanks for the reply, do you think the 30.06 has enough knock-down power as the others at 250-300 plus yards?
Ready...aim...Dead!!
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
29 Dec 2008 01:53 AM  
I think it would at 250 to 300 yds,my personel limit is 200 or less with my 270 or my 7mm mag.I dropped a 8 point this season with my 270 at close to 200 yds.You could go to Hornady.com and check out some of the bullet weights and ballistics.I hope it helps.

By the way,how much do deer weigh in Kansas ?I hunt in Alabama and our average weight is 160 lbs or so.
Tubby
The God of My Rock;He Is My Sheild;And The Horn Of My Salvation 2 Samuuel,Ch 22
btr568
6 Point
6 Point

--
29 Dec 2008 02:07 PM  
yes your 06' will have plenty of power still left to it at the ranges you are talking about.But if your not used to shooting that far,I suggest you find a range that you can get some pratice in on before you go.If you decide on the mega mags,remember the shells ain't cheap.Another option would be a 280,it's kinda between a 270 and 7 MAG on the power scale
Papa Burgundy
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
29 Dec 2008 11:10 PM  
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll stick with the 30.06 and some light mags from Hornady. My 06 has never let me down so far.  So do you think a lighter grain light mag is better for longer distance shooting? I'm used to shooting 100yards or less. And I've always shot 180grain bullets for some reason. And yes, I will need extensive long range shooting practice as I don't want to mess up a good hunt because of being a poor shooter especially for the the deer which live on his farm.
Ready...aim...Dead!!
EricFlannery
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
30 Dec 2008 03:38 AM  
If your gun shoots 180's well then stick with the 180's. I've hunted Kansas on a couple of occassions with friends who have family that own land there as well. With my Savage 111 chambered in 30-06 I am comfortable to around 450 yds but that's me (Head shot a doe last year at 435). I have taken 3 deer in Kansas and have yet to take a shot over 200 yds there. 

Scent control is the key. You control your scent correctly and you can get B&C bucks within just a few yards. I personally know people who have taken 180+ inch deer at less than 20 yards all by using scent control. During a ground hunt here in KY I personally had a doe come up the trail from the tree I was propped up on and missed stepping on my shin by just a couple of inches and she never knew I was there. She passed and kept on walking and never spooked.
"Oh bother," said Pooh as he chambered another round.
stubs
6 Point
6 Point

--
30 Dec 2008 04:35 AM  
i shoot them little whistle pigs in idaho with my 30.06 at +/-some 300yards with a 180 grain and it does great!
go BSU!!!!!
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! Join Buckmasters Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!