Register  | Login
  Search

Buckmasters Forums

scope objective size 40 vs 50mm??????
Last Post 25 Dec 2008 01:44 AM by rnwinter. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
kitterick
6 Point
6 Point

--
14 Dec 2008 11:51 AM  
I was in gander mountain the other day because I am looking for a scope to go on my new gun...model 700  270.

Ihad  a bushnell 3-9 x40mm on my last gun have had no problems with it......bushnell has a 3200 series 3-9 x50mm scope that I think looks great, BUT  I was told by the guy behind the counter that there is no difference in brightness between what I have now and this 3200.....

if 2 scopes rated with the same mag potential have 2 different objectives shouldn't I see a difference at low light with the 50?

during the day I could care less, but at dawn and dusk is when most of my deer have been taken and I would like any advantage I can get (afford).

any help would be great

kitterick
DRENALIN
SIDEWINDER LX
AXIS ST
G5 STRIKER
T
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
17 Dec 2008 12:07 PM  
the size of the objective doesnt matter as much as the quality of glass.

for what your looking for i still would not go les than a 40mm and would not go more than a 50mm but the field of view id say is the biggest differance between the two.

most of the time the differance in light is a couple mins or so, and not to nock bushnell or any othe brands but i see the differance between them an a leopold, i can see the slight differance between a VX2 abd VX3 leopold ect.

the nikon monarc i think it was, thats not a bad scope but i would personly go with a vx2 over it.

the ziess conquest are very nice, there compairible to a VX3 maybe a min better.

honestly to get better than what i mentioned your looking at a price differance that is nuts for what you get. a couple mins more of light for 1500$,,, no way. i buy VX3 and consider the only thing better to be a joke.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
T
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
17 Dec 2008 12:18 PM  
just remeber when looking at scopes and optics to dial them in for your eyes the best you can. most people just pick them up and look and go to the next. you have to focus them in for your eyes or looking threw them is a waiste of time.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
asst19chief
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
19 Dec 2008 08:14 PM  
I agree, with fov will be a little more with the 50. You also need to consider your rings and bases. The 50 objective is going to be bigger. I have a Bushnell Dusk to Dawn 3x8x40 on one of my slug guns and I like it. It is not expensive and does me well. The 3200 series is actually Bausch And Laumb glass, and has rain guard. It is pretty good glass and I have a gunsmith friend that really talks that scope up!
rnwinter
6 Point
6 Point

--
25 Dec 2008 01:44 AM  
In comparing a similar magnification scopes with a difference of 40 or 50 in the aspect ratio, you are not necessarily gatting a better light gathering ability. The primary difference in the 'aspect' is how wide the field of view is, and obviously the larger one will have a wider field of view.

Although there is a large difference in the light gathering quality of scopes, you are getting what you pay for. Most of the cheaper scopes will not have very good light gathering abilities. Of course if you simply can't afford a better scope, you can lower the magnification of your scope when light gets low. Setting it on 4x (if that is the lowest on your particular scope), will open the appeture to its widest point and give you the most light that can get in. Hopefully this will help a bit.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! Join Buckmasters Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!