Register  | Login
  Search

Buckmasters Forums

remington or winchester
Last Post 12 Nov 2009 12:50 AM by gehee. 19 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
rebel deer hunter
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
19 Nov 2008 02:34 AM  
Im shooting a rimington 130 gr corelok out of a mossberg 100 atr 270, thinking about going to winchester silver tips or power points, ive shot the silver tips out of a 30-30 and they worked really good, what do yall prefer out of the 2?
SOUTHERN PRIDE
rebel deer hunter
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
19 Nov 2008 02:35 AM  
lol miss spelled remington
SOUTHERN PRIDE
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
19 Nov 2008 03:07 AM  
My Ruger (270)does not like the ballistic silver tip ammo and I have never gotten the accuracy from winchester ammo I was looking for.
I like Remington 130 grn cor lokt and 130 grn Hornady SST both very accurate and deadly.My Dad shoots Power points in his 270 WSM and it is spot on,could be my gun doesn't like them.
Tubby
The God of My Rock;He Is My Sheild;And The Horn Of My Salvation 2 Samuuel,Ch 22
orangeblooded
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
19 Nov 2008 03:13 AM  
go buy yourself some nosler partition Federals and end the debate
rebel deer hunter
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
19 Nov 2008 08:46 PM  
the reason i ask is because every time I shoot with the remingtons I always have a bunch of little tiny fragments that I have to clean out of the barrel, I really liked the silvertips 170 gr outa my 30-30, I have killed one deer wit the remingtons and they dont destroy alota meant which is good, but I had a problem with some of them not going off the first shot. I was looking at the hornady light mag for 270 win but no stores close carry them and i would have to order and pay $20 extra for hazardous matterial.
SOUTHERN PRIDE
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
19 Nov 2008 10:15 PM  
The Light Mag ammo is pretty easy to come by around here.Is there a Bass Pro or something simliar close by,they should carry it.
Tubby
rebel deer hunter
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
20 Nov 2008 03:49 AM  
yea theres a basspro about a 1hr away, some of the stores have it but its way over priced
SOUTHERN PRIDE
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
20 Nov 2008 12:58 PM  
Yeah, the SST was around $35 to $40 bucks so I switched back to the Remington.My wife has a 260 and the Cor lokts are $35 a box this year,last year they were only $22 bucks......now that's sad.
Tubby
rebel deer hunter
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
20 Nov 2008 09:45 PM  
the light mags are $34 for 270 win remington cor lokts are about $18 and winchester are about the same
SOUTHERN PRIDE
Dakota Danny
6 Point
6 Point

--
26 Nov 2008 06:34 AM  
I use the silvertips in my 25.06. They fly well. They also do a heck of a lot of damage if they hit solid shoulder. I've not lost a deer that I hit with these bullets.
rebel deer hunter
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
27 Nov 2008 04:36 AM  
which ones are you talking about the balistics or ones with like a little lead tipped point?
SOUTHERN PRIDE
rebel deer hunter
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
16 Dec 2008 02:15 AM  
bought a box of winchester 130 gr powerpoints today for $17.00, would i have to resight my gun? i was using 130 gr rem core loks.
SOUTHERN PRIDE
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
16 Dec 2008 08:57 PM  
I wouldn't think so.
Tubby
Mark
8 Point
8 Point

--
16 Dec 2008 09:36 PM  
That Depends on your Gun. I shoot a Salvage 110L in 30-06. I used to use Winchester in 165 gr. It was very accurate with that gr. But i found it to do alot of damage to the meat. so I switched to Winchester 150 gr. And could not get it to dial in,so I tried the remington Core Loct. 150 gr. And It is the most accurate round I have found for My Gun. I have tried Winchester 150 gr. again after I got it dialed in with the Remmington and I was not hitting the same. That and when I used the Winchester 165 grain I did have several misfires where I have not had a single one since i switched to remmington ammo.
rebel deer hunter
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
17 Dec 2008 01:11 AM  
yea, ive only shot the rem coreloks 130s out of my gun and there accurate but i dont need the missfires, and i usually only shoot winchesters but the gun was a christmas present 2yrs ago and i got 2 boxes of rem 130s so thats what ive been using
SOUTHERN PRIDE
Mr.FreakNasty
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
17 Dec 2008 05:44 AM  
i shoot rem 180s an have only had 1 misfire
Teach Deer
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
16 Jan 2009 04:56 PM  
I hunt in eastern Kentucky where the deer are fairly scarce but improving...the terrain is rough, thickly wooded and steep (and in just a few seconds, deer can go a long way, even dead--straight down hill).  

I have had poor results with both Remington and standard Winchester ammo in .270.  The best results that I have had has been with Federal Premiums (available at Walmart) with 150 gr Nosler Partitions.  They shoot well, are destructive (= quick kills), and always exit.

I have had powerpoints, silvertips, and core-lokts all fail to exit, even on small whitetails.  The mess they leave on the inside (as the bullets come apart) has been terrible.

My rule of thumb, if the bullet will not consistently exit the animal then don't use it.  Two holes are better than one!

I killed a nice 7pt this year with Winchester Supreme 7mm Remington Magnum 150 gr Ballistic Silvertips...6 inch hole all of the way through...1/2 of right lung was lying on the hillside 10 ft behind the deer...needless to say...NO TRACKING.
TCFAN
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
07 Nov 2009 04:34 AM  

For everything I have .243's,.270's,.30-30's, rimfires, .45's and even my shotguns, I have to look no further than Winchester. I have Winchester , Ruger, Marlin, TC, Browning, Taurus and Remington guns. All of my guns prefer one or another "flavor" of Winchester Ammo. Coincidence?... 

asst19chief
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
12 Nov 2009 12:18 AM  
LOL twice you miss spelled mispelled
Gehee
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
12 Nov 2009 12:50 AM  
honestly in recent years i've not gotten great performance out of either of those brands. I use hornady customs exclusively for deer. you don't need the light mag power for deer, although i use them on larger game.

on an animal as small as a deer 2 holes is overrated. explosive internal expansion will put the animal down faster (see the article in current buckmasters mag about this, studies concur) and leave a better blood trail. i use the hornady sst as i hunt in an area where other hunters will claim your kill if they beat you to it. since changing to it I have yet to have the deer walk a combined 1 yard after being hit. if i'm working at it, it'll print cloverleaves at 100 yds off of a sleeping bag (the single most important part of putting a deer down quickly is accuracy)
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! Join Buckmasters Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!