Register  | Login
  Search

Buckmasters Forums

Choking on Slugs
Last Post 02 Aug 2009 01:09 PM by mcraddock. 6 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
danrwoods
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
21 Oct 2008 01:33 PM  
Just out of curiousity, I was wondering what choke everyone uses when they slug hunt deer with a smoothbore barrel, other than a rifled choke or fully rifled barrel?

What are some rifled slugs that everyone uses too?

1st Wild Hog: 300lbs. on the hoof - 275lbs. field dressed - 30-06 from 9.75 yards away and closing
mike243
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
22 Oct 2008 03:03 AM  
most makers recomend a improved cyclinder or IC for short,the remingtons & federals have gave good service in the past,i bought a rifled slug barrel several years ago & use it only for shotgun hunts on WMA'S where muzzleloaders or shotguns only,buy several boxs of a couple diffrent brands & find which 1 you shotgun prefers,mike243
SSchofield
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
23 Oct 2008 02:42 AM  
On my Browning Gold, I simply screw in my Improved Cylinder choke. Before I committed to using this gun for slugs, I simply called Browning and asked them. I shoot 2" groups @ 50 yards, as per Winchester Ammo spec's. I'm happy. The deer don't like it though...
kerry larson
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
02 Nov 2008 02:06 PM  
Remember to use rifled slugs in a smooth bore barrel and sabots in a rifled barrel for the best results. improved or modified are the best chokes to use. I did have a remington sportsman 12 which for some reason with a full choke shot great with slugs. If you are going to use a shotgun for slug hunting all the time a rifled barrel is well worth your money. I own a browning gold deer special and a bennelli deer hunting slug gun and they shoot unbelievable. Browning makes a bps model that has a smooth bore barrell a three inch rifled choke. That was the best shooting gun i had in a long time.
ryan
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
11 Nov 2008 02:29 AM  
try different chokes. (dont try your turkey choke though)
There are no strangers here,just friends we haven't met!
danrwoods
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
02 Aug 2009 12:30 PM  
Doing some squirrel hunting in rumored hog country. Just wanted to know if I use a FULL or MOD choke for the Squirrel and come up on a slew of Hogs can I still use either choke with no damage to my barrel or am I going to have to switch to my IMP CYL?

Any advice is welcome.

1st Wild Hog: 300lbs. on the hoof - 275lbs. field dressed - 30-06 from 9.75 yards away and closing
mcraddock
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
02 Aug 2009 01:09 PM  
I shoot slugs from either a mod or imp. cyl. choke, never full. I have read of several problems while shooting slugs through a full choke. Several cases are: Ripping choke tube from barrel, opening of choke to larger tolerances (fixed choke barrell), jamming choke tube insert against threads, and poor slug accuracy associated with the rifling of slug being compressed.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! Join Buckmasters Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!