Register  | Login
  Search
Buckmasters Forums
Bench rest ?
Last Post 03 Aug 2007 02:27 PM by Vandy. 8 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
T
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
01 Aug 2007 12:23 PM  
when you guys test out loads and sight in your rifles, are you mostly sand baggn them or are many of you useing a gun vise.

asking because ive always sand bagged for all my tecnical shooting but Im thinking its not the best way to do this fine tune stuff  "sight in, accuracy loads, etc" it seems i have to shoot a boxz or two at the range to get some rust out of me, and then I go back and really shoot to make groups but each shot is critical because the guns still all resting on the hands and ive done real good doing this but its not perfect for seeing what bullet is better and etc, it seems you have to shoot allot more to get a good reading on the paper.

wondering if a gun vise is worth it, if 3 shots are a perfect 3shots out of them, ect etc. any and all info about a gun vise is what im looking for, pros/cons etc. what ones are real good to get etc etc.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
kmehaffey
6 Point
6 Point

--
01 Aug 2007 02:59 PM  
I've always used sand bags,for sighting in,and working up new loads,and i only ever missed one deer,As for a gun vise,I'm not sure,Do you really need to drive a bullet up a Ticks butt at 100yds? In an actuall hunting situation,for me, the adrenalin is pumpin Im sweatin,shakin,breathing like a plow mule,and I sure aint steady!So all that practice with a gunvise,goes down the drain. You cant use the gunvise while hunting! I,personally see no need for one.I'm sure many people use them for sighting in,and thats O.K. to each his own.Thats just my opinion,and you know what they say about opinions.
Rilla
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
01 Aug 2007 06:23 PM  
I use the bulldog gun vise to sight in every year. only to make sure its zeroed in...after that i shoot like in hunting situation, holding it..

I find it takes the guess work out if using a vise, cause if i miss after the sight in it's me.. not the gun!!!!
7MM Rem. Mag. reach out and touch something!!
Howard
6 Point
6 Point

--
01 Aug 2007 11:23 PM  
Gun vise costs too much for me, but I think it could be a useful tool.  In the heat of the moment a person will shake and be off hand, so why not start out as best as possible then allow for wiggle room and error.  Provided you're getting decent groungs time and again I don't think it's a must.  If you're shooting a gun that makes you flinch then you may want to buy one to help pinpoint your shots.
huntininmissouri
6 Point
6 Point

--
01 Aug 2007 11:36 PM  
i use a sandbag to get it on then all my practicing is done off hand or from positions i'll encounter in the woods.i've seen guys who only practice from a vise then when they get out in the woods they can't hit the broad side of a barn
Mississippi
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
01 Aug 2007 11:40 PM  
I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS sight in my guns using a "vice". I average a 1 1/2 inch group at 300yds shooting my 7mm with only a bi-pod and i still use a vice to sight in or test. True enough, youre not going to have it with you in the woods, but you will know exactly where your gun is hitting. With so many varibles involved (did i move, is my gun not grouping properly, is this ammo not grouping, did my scope move) the ammo i shoot is far too expensive to waste wondering if it was my mistake. I dont think the importance of accuracy is really any question. As far as practice is concerned, i dont use either. I use a bi-pod, and yes i will have that with me in the woods.
"Only perfect practice makes perfect, anything else just gets you good at being bad."
Bloodhound Fan
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
02 Aug 2007 02:13 PM  
I use one of those adjustable rests to sight my guns in, then do all my practicing without it.  I mostly practice with my .22 because it doesn't beat you to death and you can shoot alot longer.  Plus the fact if you know the ballistics of the bullet you are shooting I don't see where shooting different calibers matter that much in practice.
Mississippi
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
02 Aug 2007 09:46 PM  
One reason it may help to practice with different calibers is because guns often have different weight triggers. Your 22 may have a light trigger pull (less force applied to the trigger to fire the gun) as your deer rifle maybe slightly heavier, causing you to torque your wrist slightly while firing. Also, it is often the anticipation of the noise and recoil of the gun that causes the shooter "jerk" the gun. This can be avoided by shooting the gun regularly.
"Only perfect practice makes perfect, anything else just gets you good at being bad."
Vandy
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
03 Aug 2007 02:27 PM  
I do my sighting in using a gun vise but all other shooting is in various positions, sometimes I'll use a sandbag on the front.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Pay Your Bill Online Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! LinkedIn Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!