Register  | Login
  Search

Buckmasters Forums

Savage rifle
Last Post 25 Jan 2009 05:11 AM by J.Dworek. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
J.Dworek
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
07 Oct 2008 12:56 AM  
I had given my son a Savage 111 rifle 2 years ago for his b-day,in a 7mm Mag.This year we are noticeing the rifle miss fireing on some round's.After waiting a little time after the miss fire we ejected the round out an noticed a dent in the primer,these are on my reload's that I've never had a problem with before.If you take the miss fired round an put it in another 7 Mag differant brand also the round would go off.Question is has Savage had this problem with their rifle's ?.If so do I need to go to Savage with this problem or to a gunsmith.
Heartshot
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
10 Oct 2008 02:44 AM  
sound like you might have some primers seated to deep.Check there first
btr568
6 Point
6 Point

--
10 Oct 2008 03:03 AM  
JD sounds like it needs to take trip to a gunsmith....that would be way faster turn around time than sending it to the factory.....factory means weeks of waiting,local gunsmith would be half the time
rebel deer hunter
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
10 Oct 2008 09:15 PM  
I had to send my mossberg 270 back to the factory cause a spring came out of the bolt release, but I didnt have to pay anything for them to fix it.
SOUTHERN PRIDE
mcraddock
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
11 Oct 2008 12:01 PM  
Try a box of factory ammo first. If all goes well, then check primer depth as mentiioned before. Some rifles may not have as long of a firing pin stoke as others.

Another similar problem I found was on a Remington 700 ADL a few years ago. Small dent on primer, but too shallow to set primer off. This was with any brand ammo I would use. I disassembled bolt (do not attempt this unless you are a trained gunsmith!) and found that the seating face for the firing pin was obstructed by a large amount of carbon build up.

I wondered how so much carbon had gotten inside the bolt face. After talking with the rifles owner, I learned that he had been shooting his HOT loads for the past few weeks. These loads were creating so much pressure that gas and carbon were being blown back around primer pocket, unseating primers, and ending up inside the firing pin orifice.

Hope this helps ya!
J.Dworek
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
24 Jan 2009 12:35 AM  
I took care of the problem that I had with the Savage rifle that I owned,I traded it off for a Ruger Hawkeye .300 Win Mag.
rebel deer hunter
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
24 Jan 2009 03:20 AM  
my 270 was doing that to with remmington core loks, they went off on the second time i shot them but the 1st time they would just put a little dot on the primer, it only did it with a couple shells thought, I switched to winchester silvertips havent shot them yet
SOUTHERN PRIDE
J.Dworek
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
25 Jan 2009 05:11 AM  
I wasn't going to deal with it after my son had a miss fire on a cow elk last year, he used my Ruger 7 Mag an got his elk with that.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! Join Buckmasters Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!