Register  | Login
  Search

Buckmasters Forums

slug of choice
Last Post 16 Jan 2009 06:07 PM by Teach Deer. 10 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
slawman
8 Point
8 Point

--
25 Jul 2008 11:28 AM  
 I just purchased an H&R ultra slug hunter in the 20 ga model. does anyone have one and what slug do you run through it......
BIG RED
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
28 Jul 2008 06:59 PM  
slugs are a personnal choice.even more your gun chooses to shoot accuratly.start out with 3-4 differant brands of the cheaper slugs and see which will group the best at 25-50 yards.i would suggest a sabot type slug for this gun.you can contact the factory and find out what they test fire thrrough them and try those.
life member nahc,nafc,amvets.
Forestclimber
6 Point
6 Point

--
06 Aug 2008 10:59 PM  
I have the same gun. It shoots the Lightfield slugs great.
Arthur
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
07 Aug 2008 07:30 PM  
I have owned several slug guns. Each one has its own personal favorite slug. My current Mossberg like the lightfield slugs. Others I have had would only shoot Winchester slugs. Note the brand and the grains of the slug sometimes the slug weight can make a world of difference too.
AndyC
6 Point
6 Point

--
08 Aug 2008 09:28 AM  
Everthing in the magazines says you should try a couple varieties and see what works best. I read one article and they had wide variation on different guns with same slugs. The ones I wouldn't pick are the $10 -$15 a box variety.
slawman
8 Point
8 Point

--
20 Aug 2008 10:54 AM  
I seen a group of patterns a guy used different slugs through this gun, I know my gun might be different but I went out and purchased the Remington buckhammer slugs............................HOLY CRAP!!!!..I couldn't ask for anything better shooting. first two shots created one hole, at 51 yards, I made one adjustment on the scope and put the next three inside a 3" bullseye....1 1/2" grouping...can't wait till shotgun season....better yet , the youth season , cause my son gets to use it first....he's pumped.
slawman
8 Point
8 Point

--
20 Aug 2008 10:58 AM  
oh yea , Andy , these were 12 dollar a box sabots...price don't bother me, specially knowing when Mr. Wallhanger gets within 100yrds, the rest of his day is going to really suck.
AndyC
6 Point
6 Point

--
22 Aug 2008 06:03 AM  
That pretty awsome accuracy. What do you think your max range is? 100 yard s or more sounds like for sure. Is the gun a single shot, semi, or bolt action?
Fxdwing
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
22 Aug 2008 10:40 AM  
Ditto Slawman. I purchased some high dollar partitions, expanders and some others but found nothing to shoot better than my Buckhammers. Funny thing about my hastings barrel Remmy 1100 is it will place the Buckhammers and Hastings (both 2 3/4inch rounds) at the same point of impact (poi). Thats all the better because those two slugs are accurate, affordable and leave a Big Hole.
The Lightfield Commanders are awesome too...if you can find them and shoot a 3inch.
slawman
8 Point
8 Point

--
22 Aug 2008 11:30 AM  
Single shot Andy, I will test it at 75, and 100 yrds, supposedly, 100 yrds is no problem from what everybody is saying, but i think every deer I've gotten in the last several years has been under 50 yrds.
Teach Deer
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
16 Jan 2009 06:07 PM  
Try a lot of different types...the H&R slug gun is the option that I did not choose but was considering...see what that gun shoots the best.

I like the Hornady 300 grain SST at 2000 fps...very accurate out of my Rem 1100 with 20" fully rifled barrel...devestating on a big 7pt buck I killed two years ago at Fort Knox.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! Join Buckmasters Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!