Register  | Login
  Search
Buckmasters Forums
30-06 Ammunition
Last Post 16 Jan 2009 05:09 PM by Teach Deer. 10 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
BuckWacka
6 Point
6 Point

--
04 Jul 2008 01:18 AM  
I am trying to figure out what I want to use for ammo for my moose hunt. I am using a 30-06 Remington 700. I want to use a 180 gr round but not sure what the best is to go with. Hornady, Winchester and Federal all come to mind but not sure. Can I get some ideas.

mississippihunter21
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
04 Jul 2008 05:21 AM  
go with hornaday
practice dont make perfect . . perfect practice makes perfect
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
04 Jul 2008 05:21 PM  
I would also say Hornady.I shoot them in my 270 and my 7mm and the accuracy is awesome.I don't like the inter bonds.I use the SST or the boat tail spire point.
Tubby
The God of My Rock;He Is My Sheild;And The Horn Of My Salvation 2 Samuuel,Ch 22
heiner39
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
25 Aug 2008 03:36 PM  
The Hornady Interbond is accurate out of my Savage 30-06.  I get a five round group inside an inch and I'm not a great shooter by any means.  If I had to pick between the SST and Interbond for Moose I would go with the Interbond.  It's built to be stronger than the SST and should stand up better during impact. 

I am using a 150 Interbond for whitetail and mulies this fall but wouldn't hesitate to use it for moose or elk.
paulie
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
04 Sep 2008 01:04 AM  
You want a bullet that will penetrate deep and retain most of it weight! Look into a federal "thophy bonded",or a remington "premeir a-frame" or "core-lokt ultra bonded". Im not sure about federal, but I know remington offers both choices in a 180grain, and they are desinged for big tough critters like moose!
Perry M
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
09 Sep 2008 04:45 AM  
I reload Hornady SST in 165 grain for my wife's 06. This bullet penetrates and makes a great hole. The 180 gr. would work fine. I killed my first moose with 180 gr. Winchester Silvertips. Hint, stay away from the shoulder put it in the pocket. Good hunting.
J.Dworek
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
07 Oct 2008 01:59 AM  
I've been a Nosler fan for many year's all my gun's are shooting them bullet's got a moose last year useing a 180 grain Nosler Partition in my 300 RUM,she dropped were she stood,I also use them on elk to.
btr568
6 Point
6 Point

--
07 Oct 2008 03:32 AM  
J.D where have you been?I ain't seen you post since forever.Missed ya bud
J.Dworek
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
07 Oct 2008 05:02 AM  
I've been around had to deal with a medical issue in May, had a heat attack got back up on my feet again been hunting deer an elk found out I'am not as young as I use to be.lol
Al3006
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
08 Dec 2008 12:15 AM  
I have shot many moose with Remington 180 gr Core-lokt out of Remington 742 semi-auto .30-06, however in 2000 I switched to Remington Premier A  Frame in 180... and have taken 8 deer and 2 moose since...what a deadly shell right out of the box...you just need to point that nickel shell at them & down they go... I just bought a 7MM Rem. Mag. & will be shootin' 160 gr A Frame with that gun too....
Teach Deer
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
16 Jan 2009 05:09 PM  
Moose are big animals and need a tough bullet...the .30-06 is an excellent choice but stay with 180 grain Nosler Partition or Swift A-frames.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Pay Your Bill Online Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! LinkedIn Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!