How many year must I hunt without having the opportunity to shoot my first buck
Last Post 14 Sep 2011 06:31 PM by ChasePhase. 4 Replies.
Author Messages
Ron
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
04 Dec 2010 04:49 AM  
I have been hunting since I was 13 years old and am now 32. I have only missed one season in 19 years and have yet to even have a chance to shoot a buck. I live in Nortwest Florida and the only place to really hunt is on Eglin Air Force Base reservation unless you have a lot of money for a lease or guided hunt somewhere else. The problem with this is they never allow doe's to be harvested anytime execpt for a couple weeks during archery season, and due to this the does completely outnumber the bucks and there are way to many people hunting a small part of land. On a typical weekend I will usually see at least 20 deer with all of them being extremely small and all does. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could increase my odds of shooting my first deer? All though I absolutely love being in the outdoors and hunting it has begun to become pretty upsetting to get up at 3:45am and hunting until dark and never having the opportunity to even take a shot. I have managed to harvest some wild hogs but no BUCK. I am desperate for some help.
Ron
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
12 Dec 2010 02:21 PM  
There must be a few clubs that hunt on leased or private land, close to you. Eglin has always had a good reputation, so maybe you aren't going deep enough into the woods, or perhaps you need to scout out a different area. Place an ad in the local paper's classifieds, and see if someone will reply with info about a club you could join that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg. You are also close enough to Alabama, that even with the out of state fees, you might find a club there you could afford to join. As for the size and number of does you are seeing, that is a definite sign that the management program at Eglin needs to be addressed, traditionally, the deer in that part of the state, tend to be closer in size to the deer in South Georgia, and Alabama; not the size of South Florida deer. Good luck, and I hope these ideas will help you!

NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, Second Amendment, DU, NWTF, QDMA, SportsmenNA, Everyday Hunter, and PROUD SC redneck REBEL for life. If the South had won the war, Obama wouldn't be in the White House.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, Second Amendment Foundation, DU, QDMA, ASA, OYOA, Everyday Hunter, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.
Chris Cowan
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
25 Jan 2011 05:32 PM  
You might consider creating your own group of hunters and together find a nice property that an owner might consider leasing. This might take some research and some time to find the right spot. I'm in a club with a total of 6 guys. We lease about 1000 acres of property owned by a paper company. I pay about $500 annually. The more guys in the club, the less you pay.
Mike
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
28 Mar 2011 11:43 PM  
sorry to hear about all your bad luck but got some answers for you ,ok here in south dakota we have some farmers who are wanting you to hunt ,you have to be on the ball to hunt these lands like first come first serve but it can be done ,and there listed with the South Dakota Game Fish & Parks ,do you have any programs like that there ,if you dont know for sure its worth checking out , one of our states best kept secrets , until i stumbled on it about 2 years ago
ChasePhase
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
14 Sep 2011 06:31 PM  
Man...they need to thin some does first off. Start saving some cash up too.

---
Active Forums 4.2