Register  | Login
  Search
Buckmasters Forums
What would you do?
Last Post 02 Dec 2009 06:40 PM by deadfowl. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
deadfowl
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
29 Nov 2009 03:22 AM  

I know we all make mistakes from year to year in the woods. Well I will admit I have made my biggest mistake so far. Went into the woods the other evening around 3:30. I did not go and sit in my stand, I went over towards a big cudzu patch and just sat on the ground against a big tree. Around 5:00 I thought I heard something over my left shoulder. I locked myself in the position I was in and DID NOT MOVE. I rolled my eyes over and started watching for something to come down the trail I was watching. 30 minutes later, I had not heard anything else. So my first thought was, maybe it was just a squirrel. Well by now my rear had got a little numb. I placed my gun across my lap, put my hands beside me on the ground and sat up just a little. While I was doing this I turned my head over my left shoulder to see the big deer I had on my trail cam, looking face to face with me at not even 50 yards. He must have been standing there not moving the whole time. I froze, he blew, and I dont think he has quit running yet. He went into the cudzu and disappeard. Now with this said, I have hunted the area, HARD AND HEAVY this week. I have not seen him again. Have found scraps and rubs and Im sure they are from him due to the size of trees being rubbed. I dont think the rut has started yet because I had a doe walking around me for almost a full hour this morning and seen no sign of him around. Went back this evening and didnt see nothing but squirrels.

OK, my question again, What would you do? There has gotten to be something that can put me back in front of him and get that oppurtunity.

Scott

Fossilman
6 Point
6 Point

--
29 Nov 2009 02:03 PM  
As long as he didn't smell you,your fine.He seen something that wasn't right and blew away! He will change his habits a bit now,but will remain in his same area...........We hunted my wifes buck for 16 days till he finally made a mistake and now my wife has a wall hanger....
Just keep at it,you will connect with him.........Good luck.....
God,family and friends,nothing better!!
deadfowl
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
01 Dec 2009 08:16 PM  

Fossil,

He never smelt me, I believe he just noticed something different in that section of the woods and he was curious. Never acted spooked just blew and left town. Its ok though. He messed up this morning. I did not get a very good shot on him. Shot this morning at 8. Started looking for him at 830 and stopped at 1130. He got to the main branch which is about 15 feet wide, crossed it and I lost all blood on the other side. I walked the banks for hours and never found blood. All I can think is I shot him far back. He was in a lot of brush and I knew it was now or never. I know I hit him hard from the blood trail that started. It just faded the closer he got to the branch.My biggest worry is after I made the shot, the coyotes sharted howling. Just hope they dont find him before I do. Guess I will be back in there this after noon looking and then again in the mornig if no success.

Scott

heightman55
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
02 Dec 2009 03:22 PM  

Deadfowl,

Just one guestion WTF did you stop looking. I sure hope the reason was a good one like having to get to work or going to round up some friends for help. I am not trying to be sarcastic but I can see no reason to stop looking at 11:30 and go back later in the later in the day. Daylight is short this time of the year and every minute available should be put to use. You said there were yote's in the area chances are they will have already found your deer by the time you get back in the woods.If they have I can only hope that he had already expired before they found him, so they didn't tear into him to finish the job.

deadfowl
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
02 Dec 2009 05:46 PM  

Heightman,

I found my deer. Sadly to say, my only thought and your thoughts were right. The yotes found him before I did. Had a lot I had to get done yesterday and knew if I made a bad shot on him and left him alone he wouldnt push any further if I stopped looking. Well my wife and I went back in yesterday evening and found him around 630 to 7. Of course it was dark then. Yotes had tore him up. The whole front end had been eatten on. Only thing I could do was drop my head. I did cut his horns off and as soon as I can I will get a picture on here so you can see him. He is a main frame 8 with 2 extra brow tines coming out below the main brows. Got on here lastnight to score him, sadly to say he only scored 110. But for around here, THATS A BIG DEER.

Scott

deadfowl
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
02 Dec 2009 06:40 PM  
I dont know how to get pics uploaded on the site so here is a link to another sight that the pics are up loaded on. Should be on page 6 of the thread. Username is MuddyRivrKennel.

http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthrea...did=303574
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Pay Your Bill Online Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! LinkedIn Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!