Register  | Login
  Search

Buckmasters Forums

What is deer hunting?
Last Post 14 Nov 2009 01:49 AM by Rugermk2. 3 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
michaelw730
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
11 Nov 2009 04:22 PM  

As for most shows on television they are generally on a ranch or farm, pirched in a treestand overlooking a huge piece of flat land like a nearly wide open forest floor or field of wildlife attractant. My question or topic is how come you never see them actually hunting the moutains, like where I'm from in Kentucky? As for this part of the state the mountains are fairly steep and you generally find yourself watching an old road or a flat bench about 15 to 20 feet wide. While our whitetail population is fairly decent it makes for a more challenging hunt and your hunting style or techniqe is tremendously different than what we see on hunting shows. I know big deer, good footage, and a hunters personality is what makes the sponsors money, but has anyone here tried to use a deer call, rattling horns or scent in the head of a hollow? Its much easier sad than done. Although  it can lead to success, its much harder to get a deer's attention than what it would be if it was wide open country. Pretty much I was wondering if anyone else is getting bored of watching t.v. hosts sit in a deer blind over a wide open field, seeing 30 to 40 deer a sitting, hunting in the IDEAL world that most of us average hunters only dream about. While I watch my fair share of hunting shows and actually enjoy it, I seem to feel like they are actually just "shooting" rather than hunting, and as a die hard hunter can see why the misconception of our tradition is in the spotlight of anti gun and hunting orginizations. As all of us true deer hunters know that what we see on television is not what most of us face in our outings, I was wondering if anyone else can see where I am coming from when I ask "What is Deer Hunting?"

Gehee
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
11 Nov 2009 08:23 PM  
I'd really like to see some of these shows come to public land in the northeast where the deer are scarce and the hunters plentiful. I'd like to see them bag some decent bucks here on the eastern seaboard near the coast where alot of hunters don't have the money to travel far and so hunt close to home. many don't have the money for a lease and so hunt public land. here in PA the Game Commission says that 70% of the hunters hunt public land and account for 30% of the deer. The rest of the deer come from the 30% of the hunters on private lands.

Show us how to be successful on public land, not jsut the hunt but the preparation, scouting and planning that allows them to score a nice buck.
NonTypicalGirl21
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
13 Nov 2009 12:49 AM  

Deer hunting to me is about survival. It's about being thankful for the meat, and respecting your kill. I was raised on 98 acres of prime hunting land in SW Ohio. I began hunting when i was about 10 and learned everything from my father. My father's family is Cherokee Indian. To the Cherokee people, hunting is being able to live. It's using everything from that animal you kill, and being thankful. I will use the meat, hides, feet, bones and skull. I won't waste anything. Ya'll should see my house, it's covered in trophies!

When I go out into the woods, I don't have treestands or blinds I go to. Nothing like the T.V shows you see. Most of the time I find a tree base to sit in front of, looking over a ravine or something. Something to cover me, to blend me in. Sometimes I will climb into trees and sit on the branches. Basically just picking a spot around some good deer trails or rubs. Then praying the whole time for a good sized deer to jump in front of my crosshairs. Ironically, I get a lot of good shots. I have even had to turn a complete 180 to take a shot at a deer that came up behind me. I'll do the whole, leafy suit, camo thing, then put out some Tinks #69. Do a couple calls here and there. It helps when there are a lot of deer but It's always a surprise when I go hunting. I just go with the flow. Despite my method of hunting, I get enough meat for my family every year. I fill my tags. It doesn't really matter how you hunt, It's where. Don't get me wrong, out in some places where there arent a lot of deer, good hunting techniques are vital. In my own opinion, I believe karma? has a say in it as well.

Rugermk2
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
14 Nov 2009 01:49 AM  

Yeah I know what your talkin about. I wonder the same thing once in awhile. I've been watching hunting shows for a solid 3 months now, and its the same re runs, or pretty much the same setting.After while it gets old. They need to come up with more challenging hunts when hunting whitetail. Most of those people have more money than they know what to do with, so they get the prime choice in hunting places unlike most normal hard working people. I myself am fortunate to have some acreage to hunt on, it seems to produce some pretty nice wildlife. I don't plan on leasing mine out to any out of state hunters any time soon!!!! Although I hunt in a stand, I have only one, and the rest is done spot stalking, or sitting next to a tree as you state. Anyways, good luck on your hunting adventures!!!!!!

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! Join Buckmasters Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!