Register  | Login
  Search

Buckmasters Forums

gun suggestions
Last Post 19 Nov 2009 02:34 PM by DenBob. 3 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
jennifer
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
08 Oct 2009 03:32 AM  

MY daughter is going to start hunting this year. My husband and i bow hunt her father shotgun hunts i dont know what type of gun is best for her. She is 9 small for her age about 50 lbs she needs something that wont kick the crap out of her  and she can still lift it to shoot any suggestions please help p.s. her father and i dont talk awhole lot hes no help

Troutmaster
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
12 Oct 2009 01:39 AM  

Not sure what the laws are for your state. Some allow youngsters of that age to actually hunt and some only allow going along and watching but I'm certain that you have checked into that. You didn't say what game she would be hunting, so assuming that you mean small game I would suggest a good quality pellet gun or a small sized 22. We frequently hunt rabbits and squirrels with pellet guns here for the heck of it and because they are quiet and don't alarm the other game in the area. They are very effective, but there are short, light 22s available as well. The only shotgun I would consider would be a 410 because of her small stature but even that might be to much. It would be nice if you knew someone that had one so you could try it out before buying. Glad to see that you are starting her off young though and good luck. Let me know how you make out.

Gehee
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
16 Nov 2009 08:18 PM  

a 243 is a good bet.  won't kick too much and can be hand in a light set up that she can heft.  use some of the lighter but hard bullets sold like the 80 grain tsx, as it won't recoil as hard.

crockett
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
19 Nov 2009 02:34 PM  

Our sportsman's club just had a gun raffle. We chanced off a couple rifles that I think would be great for her. Stevens makes a bolt action that is light, the lightest I've ever seen, and Marlin started make'in a bolt action rifle with a scope package that is also very nice and they both sell for $300 To $350. I also think the 243 would be good but if legal they make some good bullets for the 223 that are a lil' heavier and should do the trick on medium to smaller whitetails. I live in Pa. but prices ought be close anywhere.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! Join Buckmasters Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!