Register  | Login
  Search
Buckmasters Forums
Logging
Last Post 06 Jan 2010 03:54 AM by gehee. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
scott
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
28 Aug 2009 12:53 AM  
Our lease is being logged out right now. How will this affect my hunting in November?
trinitydeerslayer
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
11 Sep 2009 05:33 PM  
As long as its completed and they've removed their equipment you should be overjoyed when November rolls around. Clearcuts are whitetail magnets. If, however, they're still around come deer season, you're screwed. I can speak to both circumstances from experience.

Best of luck to you.
Skeeter
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
25 Sep 2009 04:14 PM  
I agree with the previous poster.  As long as the loggers are out of the area in time to let the woods settle down, you should have a good year for seeing deer.
andrew
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
04 Jan 2010 04:13 AM  
well, honestly. i hunted around an area being cut, still saw deer. some of the old timers say that when thye shut the skidder off right before dark theyd stay in. and the deer were curious to it. thats one of there scenses
Gehee
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
06 Jan 2010 03:54 AM  

my experience is a bit more mixed than that. it seems to me that it depends on what they log off.  one area i hunt they cut down the brush the deer'd been bedding in and it completely changed their patterns, trail that had been extremely active only weeks early no longer saw use. 

on the flip side, for the first couple years after logging the deer will feed heavily in it.  for a few years after that they'll bed in it as it'll be the thickest brush.  often the first year can be a little haphazard as the deer adjust to the new environment, but thereafter clearcuts are typically a boon for hunting.

remember, whitetail are NOT true woodland creatures, meaning that in the large swaths of thick heavy woods whitetail concentrationsare the lowest.  whitetail are 'edgeland' creatures meaning that they most inhabit the area between large forested areas and openings.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Pay Your Bill Online Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! LinkedIn Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!