Register  | Login
  Search
Buckmasters Forums
what am i doing wrong
Last Post 27 Dec 2008 04:16 PM by ghost@iowa. 8 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
jonathan
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
26 Oct 2008 08:47 PM  
 i have been hunting deer for 15 years now on my land and public. i have feeders out  thear is no hunting pressuer on them on my land im the olny one who hunts them thear . i know that the deer are thear because ive got pics of them on my trail cam. i use cover sents i hunt the times that they have been seen on my cam but i still have never killed a deer or so much as seen one during deer seasion! what am i doing wrong i am about ready to just give up please help.
majthor
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
27 Oct 2008 06:23 PM  
Could be many, many things, but WOW, 15 years?

Scent - your clothes could be the problem in this area, in relation to how you wash them... If you have not, use non-scent or scent killing detergent and a UV killer... Also, if you bathe with scented soap or scented deodorant, the problem could be there... As for your "scent" use, you could be using the wrong kind at the wrong time, too much of the right kind, or the wrong kind for your geographic location... Whole number of issues here...

Time - just because you are hunting at the times that you are seeing "some" deer on your trail cam, doesn't mean the deer are still traveling at the same times when you get to go hunting... try expanding your hunting times, taking all day trips, following the moon phases / weather patterns... You can check the weather, moon, etc against your trail camera to determine what is making the deer move and at what times...

Stand - I assume you are using one... If you look like a sore thumb (big blob), make too much noise getting into/out of your stand, moving too much in your stand, in the wrong location for the prevailing wind, etc. you are going to experince problems... Also, if you stand has been in the same place for 15 years, there is a good chance you have been "spotted" more than once or if you are hunting right over your food source, you might actually be too close... Find the trails leading to your food source and set up a few stands along the trails and hunt them when the wind is favorable... move the stands around each season as well...

Just a few general things, that could fix your problems, if this doesn't work, focus on more specifics and keep at it...
bo
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
28 Oct 2008 02:26 AM  
I think the reply from majthor sums things up pretty well.

I would just like to add as he said, deer are very patternistic creatures. Humans can be as well. If you are using the same stand and same path traveling in and out, they have figured you out instead of you patterning them. If you can have multiple stands and travel paths-even more paths to one stand-- it will help. I had two does catch me getting out of my stand and i was busted. it was like they left town. I have a half mile walk down into the creek bottom and what i found out is that the deer were crossing further up my path and going around my stand. I hunted half way down and seen deer. I left that stand alone for a season and it seems to have helped. I hunt the piney woods/creek bottoms and we dont see deer that often but i have found that putting c'mere deer in my corn feeders seems to attract them a little more. I also put a pile on a stump. It doesnt mean they can't eat it at night though. I strongly believe in hunting the moon and weather as well.

I would like to also ask a question and comment on the de-scent and uv-killer. I dont go in the woods without spraying scent killer on and have had deer standing under me. I am very faithful about washing my clothes in detergents with scent killers and no uv-brighteners and they go in scent free bags when not on---if you havent, surely try that. Most scent comes from your breath. Do anything you can to hide that. I have not noticed a great deal because just trying, but someone said before hunting season, through out a few peppermints so the deer can get used to the smell. When you hunt, eat a few to help camo your breath. Has anyone else heard this?

One thing i have been very puzzled about and been researching that last several months is the uv glow that we here deer see. Is this true? I have tried the blue light check and so on. It is very difficult to tell if your clothes are glowing or not. Supposedly Atsko is the only company that sales a product to kill the uv brighteners in clothing. Does anyone have experience or comments regarding this? Your advise will be appreciated.
majthor
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
28 Oct 2008 01:52 PM  
UV can be an issue... Not so much that you are sitting out there glowing like a light bulb, but you can look different than your surroundings, which will alert deer to your being in the area... It may or may not spook them, but it can draw their attention to you, couple that with just a whiff of an uncommon scent in the area and the biggest bucks tend to circle or avoid an area... They travel the areas day in and day out during non-rut times, so they know when something is out of place... During the rut, other things tend to be on their mind and they are ranging into the unknown to some extent...

I use the UV killer on all of my "external" clothing... Who knows if it works or not, but I haven't been "busted" since I started using it, so I like to think it is worth the money or at the least gives me peace of mind to some extent... Of course, I am very particular in my preparation(s) for hunting season and a sucker to give a new product a try if it even looks like it will work... If you are going to use the killer, make sure you are using non-uv brightening, scent free detergents to wash your clothes between hunts as well...

Nothing worse than being busted by the "one" you have been waiting on all season...
Jeremiah Johnson
6 Point
6 Point

--
28 Oct 2008 01:55 PM  
While on stand be perfectly still, deer can detect the slightest movement. When you move, do it very slowly.
ontarioben
6 Point
6 Point

--
29 Oct 2008 02:05 AM  
Your footwear could be another problem , your feet give off alot of odor and if you`re not wearing the proper footwear the deer won`t come within gunrods of your stand , try dragging either cover or doe estrus when approaching your set up .
PINETREE
8 Point
8 Point

--
12 Nov 2008 08:45 PM  
YALL ARE CORRECT ON THE SENT AND UV...BUT COME ON 15 YEARS AND NOTHING... I HAVE SHOT DEER IN A RED FLANEL SHIRT AND BLUEJEANS...YOU NEED SOMETHING TO CHANGE YOUR LUCK.....
MIKE EVERETT
Rocky Bluff Ranch
6 Point
6 Point

--
15 Nov 2008 12:49 AM  
Here is some of the best info I was given a few years back.
I have my own property I hunt as well.
with good success.
know how the wind blows across your property.
so you can hunt it right!!! some time you only have to move your stand 90 degrees left or right our 180.
walk to you stand if you can and know where you scent is going when you walk!! have rubber boots on not and I repeat not leather or some other porous boot. if you need more info email me!! Ray
ghost
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
27 Dec 2008 04:16 PM  
Location location location, You need to find a spot that atrcacts deer or where they are traveling through. Not a deer in 15 years, Really? that sucks.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Pay Your Bill Online Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! LinkedIn Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!