rage broadheads
Last Post 01 Aug 2011 02:44 PM by pinetree. 48 Replies.
Author Messages
warren
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
14 Oct 2007 12:07 AM  
I will never again use these broadheads. I shot a doe thursday night only found 2 little drops of blood and know i put a good hit on the deer. I could see the arrow sticking out of her as she ran off. The shot was a 10 yards and put it behind her shoulder high on the deer about 3 inches away from her spine. The stand is about 20 feet off the ground which the arrow should of caught one lung atleast. Looked for her for about 2 hrs that night after giving her 2hrs of rest before we went out to track her. Was Talking to a buddy who shot a doe with rages and same thing happen to him. He said he shot a yote and the arrow didnt even blow threw it either. The buddy that was with my friend said he made a bad shot on a doe with rages in the guts and it didnt blow threw his deer either. I shoot a mathews outback xt . Well after i heard this i decided to give them another shot so i went out friday night and had another doe walk in at 8 yards i put the pin behind her shoulder and shot. I almost threw my bow when i seen the arrow sticking out of her as she ran away. Gave her 3 hrs of rest and walked to where i shot her. Same thing didnt find a drop of blood. Luckly i could just follow the leaves and ground she kicked up. Found her 80 yards away and not a drop of blood on the ground. I am going back to Muzzy or montec G5s.. All my friends that have looked at my deer and the shots from video cant belive that the arrows didnt do more damage. Just wanted to post my results on here to give out alittle warning for those Rage users.
grimreaper
6 Point
6 Point

--
14 Oct 2007 06:09 AM  
Sorry about your luck with the Rages. Were you shooting the 2 or 3 blade ones? I have only killed 2 deer with them and they both were today. The first was shot with the 2 blade at 36 yds broadside shooting a 393 grain arrow at 273 FPS. It was a complete pass through with great entry and exit holes. The deer ran 30 yds. The other that I shot was at around 20 yds broadside except with the 3 blade design. It was also a complete pass through and ran about 50 yds. Both were heart shots with great blood trails. Neither deer was huge but were both midsized Wisconsin does. Muzzy and Montecs are two great fixed heads and if I ever start having trouble with the Rages I will probably go back to one of them.
Only the dead have seen the end of war. Plato
AndyC
6 Point
6 Point

--
15 Oct 2007 06:42 PM  
Just started using these broadheads (2-blade) and have shot one small button buck deer with them...see result below.  My results were pretty devastating but I did put my shot in breadbasket.  You are going to get poor penetration any time you hit a deer in the spine...I have butchered a couple deer that have broadheads wedged in between their vertibrea from previous seasons.  Don't take this the wrong way but if you are trying to video tape and shoot at the same time maybe your trying to do to much.

www.buckmasters.com/Community/Forums/tabid/60/forumid/8/postid/10750/view/topic/Default.aspx
warren
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
16 Oct 2007 12:04 AM  
Didnt hit either deer in the spine just that a 10 yard shot u have to hit alittle bit higher on the deer. I think u got pretty lucky your deer was small to hit it in the shoulder like that and still get these broadheads to penitrate. My camera is mounted so i dont have to touch it if the deer is in front of me. The only way i would shoot these broadheads is if i had a 20 yard shot or longer. But personaly i am not takeing the chance ever again. To many stories about these broadheads from friends now. Wish i still had my broadhead just to show everyone how much it got destroyed by hitting the deer. They just dont have the power for me to shoot the way i like to shoot. I dont wanna have to worry That if i do spine a deer all i am only gonna wound the animal. If it cant penitrate threw a yote or a gut shot deer i dont wanna shoot it. Before last year i shot seven deer with my bow that all died withing sight. Last year i had a arrow deflect off a branch and stick a deer and didnt find it. And now this happens this year. So that is why i am switching back.
warren
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
16 Oct 2007 12:09 AM  
Ohh Yeah i was useing 3 blade rages.
AndyC
6 Point
6 Point

--
16 Oct 2007 02:28 AM  
My shot was at about 20 yards. Not sure what it would do on a closer shot or at a bigger deer. I guess I will find out. I will say that the broadhead blades here shot which is usually not the case with my fixed blades.

By the way...how do you mount your camera on the bow? Mind posting a pic of it...I would mind trying that out.
rackmaster4413
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
22 Oct 2007 01:49 AM  
DUDE I FEEL YOUR PAIN. IVE SHOT 2 DOES IN LESS THAN 24 HOURS. NOT ON WAS FOUND. THE FIRST ONE MY ARROW WAS DRENCHED WITH BLOOD I HAD A COUPLE LITTLE DROPS OF BLOOD . THE SECOND ONE I SHOT AND HAD BLOOD EVERY WHERE. MY BUDDY WAS LOOKIN FOR HER AND BERFORE HE KNEW IT SHE WAS 5 YDS AWAY FROM HIM GOT UP ANF RAN AWY LIKE NOTHIN WAS WRONG. AS FAR AS I CONCERNED RAGE SUCKS AND ONCE YOU SHOOT THEM ONCE THERE DONE IF U BLOW THREW AND WHOEVER SWEARS BY THEM IS CRAZY. I WAISTED 80 DOLLARS AND WILL NEVER BY A MECHANICAL AGAIN. I THINK I WILL GO WITH THE CRIMSON TALON. THEM LOOK BAD TO THE BONE
huntininmissouri
6 Point
6 Point

--
22 Oct 2007 05:32 PM  
Tom Sinnott
6 Point
6 Point

--
23 Oct 2007 01:24 AM  
I used the old Spitfire 100gr mechanicals (the ones without the cutting tip) and I haven't had anything that I hit not looking like a crime scene when I walked up on it!!! I am really happy with them and only had one blade bend on me when it bloew through my target and stuck in a stump. Plus for me they have shot IDENTICAL to field points except they seem to maybe be about an inch or so low. I would try another kind before you give up on mechs. I don't think I will switch unless they come out with some dynamite tips!!!
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Benjamin Franklin
AndyC
6 Point
6 Point

--
23 Oct 2007 01:48 AM  
Posted By rackmaster4413 on 10/21/2007 7:49 PM
DUDE I FEEL YOUR PAIN. IVE SHOT 2 DOES IN LESS THAN 24 HOURS. NOT ON WAS FOUND. THE FIRST ONE MY ARROW WAS DRENCHED WITH BLOOD I HAD A COUPLE LITTLE DROPS OF BLOOD . THE SECOND ONE I SHOT AND HAD BLOOD EVERY WHERE. MY BUDDY WAS LOOKIN FOR HER AND BERFORE HE KNEW IT SHE WAS 5 YDS AWAY FROM HIM GOT UP ANF RAN AWY LIKE NOTHIN WAS WRONG. AS FAR AS I CONCERNED RAGE SUCKS AND ONCE YOU SHOOT THEM ONCE THERE DONE IF U BLOW THREW AND WHOEVER SWEARS BY THEM IS CRAZY. I WAISTED 80 DOLLARS AND WILL NEVER BY A MECHANICAL AGAIN. I THINK I WILL GO WITH THE CRIMSON TALON. THEM LOOK BAD TO THE BONE

Where are you hitting these deer?  A well placed arrow with any broadhead will finish a deer in very short order.  If you shoot through muscle (neck, leg, rump) you will see a lot of blood but no deer.  The three blades have been recalled but even so a shot through the lungs would be lethal in short order if the blades fully deployed or not.  The two blades are simply devasting on deer.
rackmaster4413
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
23 Oct 2007 02:01 AM  
im almost positve the first one was a good shot the second one i think i got the liver , but im still gonna pass on the rages. they dont really make a good entry hole. i understand that a well placed arrow will kill any deer but ive talked to a couple of peoplethat have shot rages and they had the same problem as me. ive got the crimson talons and those look like those are the broadheads to have.
Droptine
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
23 Oct 2007 07:07 PM  
You know I bought the three bladed rages this year and I had the same problem on my doe, arrow passed thru but not much blood on ground.Whats this recall y'all talking about?After reading this topic I'm going back to my spit-fires never had any problems with them.I guess all the commerials got me believing the rage broadheads were the next best thing.
Any info on the recall would be good thanks.
huntininmissouri
6 Point
6 Point

--
23 Oct 2007 07:26 PM  
Posted By MikeD on 10/23/2007 1:07 PM
You know I bought the three bladed rages this year and I had the same problem on my doe, arrow passed thru but not much blood on ground.Whats this recall y'all talking about?After reading this topic I'm going back to my spit-fires never had any problems with them.I guess all the commerials got me believing the rage broadheads were the next best thing.
Any info on the recall would be good thanks.

i'll try this link again ,if it doesn't work it's on the bowhunting page about 12 topics down.posted by dobber

http://www.buckmasters.com/Communit...fault.aspx
Droptine
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
23 Oct 2007 07:37 PM  
sorry guys I seen it.Theres actually a topic.Will check mine when I get home.
warren
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
25 Oct 2007 03:13 AM  
I know my shots werent the problem I doubled lunged the second one. and the frist i hit in the same spot the only diff was that the second doe was quartering away. I know the frist deer died but where i hunt its so overgrown with underbrush That without a blood trail the deer could be laying down 20 feet away and not see her. I have hunted for about 10 years or more. I have prob tracked 40 deer. 3 years ago i tracked a deer that my buddy shot threw the butt. It was about 4 hrs of tracking but we found the deer. I know how to track blood. I know how to track by leaves kicked up. I know how to track just by Knowing what the deer is most likely to do. Just if they make it to a certin part of my woods its like looking for a needle in a hay stack. This year is worse cause we havent had a frost yet to kill undergrowth. I am over my frist doe. Switch broadheads and looking forward to rut. I just got worked up because i absolutly hate loseing a deer. I have learned from my mistakes and all i can do is press on.
warren
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
25 Oct 2007 03:18 AM  
Yeah my broadhead i used was part of the recall. But it doesnt help me find the deer i have lost. All i had was one Rage left after my does. And if all they are gonna do is give me more rages then i dont want them. And i mount my camrea on my tree.
ebc187
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
25 Oct 2007 04:02 PM  
One of the most important aspects of bowhunting is having confidence in your equipment. If you don't believe in the rages then get rid of them and go with something else. You don't need any doubt in the back of your head when that 170 class walks out.

I killed 5 deer with the Jackhammer broadhead the last two years (none went more than 50 yards, but none left much of a blood trail), but I switched because they didn't leave an exit hole. I shot a buck with the Montec a few weeks back and didn't get a pass through with those either (I found the deer within 50 yards). I am shooting a 70# Liberty, so I know energy is not the problem, I guess it must be operator error. My buddy shoots Montecs and he has gotten a pass through on both does he shot this year. Some products just suit certain people better, but there are so many products to choose from that you just need to find yours. (if you want proof, just start a new topic and ask people who is the best bow manufacturer)
Droptine
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
25 Oct 2007 06:55 PM  
Checked mine last night and their the good ones.I still do not like them compared to others i've used
mossyoakcowboy
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
29 Oct 2007 08:45 PM  
My rage this weekend couldnt even pass through a bob cat. We did eventually find him but the fact that it couldnt pass through something the size of a house cat kinda worries me a little.
Live life 8 seconds at a time
Muskiefisher
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
30 Oct 2007 04:55 AM  
I shot my buck last night with the 3 blade rage broadheads. Good blood but couldnt find the deer. I think I hit him low but I am certain that I nicked the lung which I know he can go for a while on a shot like that. I cant blame the broadheads they opened it was just a bad shot. I hope I find the beast.
hoops4mm
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
09 Nov 2007 07:00 PM  
I've seen 3 deer shot with the Rage 2 Blade and all I can say is WOW. The 2 inch hole that was left in those deer was unbelievable and there was no problem finding a blood trail. One was a doe I shot from about 30 yards. It was a bad shot, I spined her, but the broadhead passed thru both sides. The arrow didn't do a complete pass thru, but she didn't get far. The other 2 were complete pass thru's and there was no problem finding them. I do know another guy who was using the 3 blade and he's shot 2 so far that he wasn't able to find. Both times he saw the arrow sticking out as they ran off. My opinion, go with the 2 blade.
jkoehler
Forum Moderator
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
10 Nov 2007 05:06 AM  
I have never used them but always hear that they are very good ????????????????
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
'To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.'
Mapes
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
26 Feb 2008 12:58 AM  
i had problems with mine opening when they were sitting on my rest, but the one deer i did shoot with them only went about sixty yards and didnt complain a bit.
rick
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
09 Nov 2008 02:39 PM  
Like most hunters I will try most new products out there to help me harvest my game. I saw the new all the Rage Broad heads and said Hmmm flies like a field tip rear open blades better penetration I'm game! Now I shoot an Alpine Teto Lite @ 70# draw and have been using Wasp Jackhammers with good success but why not try something new for better blood trails and huge wound channel. So I went to my local archery store and bought some... a bit pricey at $38.00 for 3 heads but why not if they will help besides they have a get your game satisfaction or your money back guarantee. So off to my tree stand I go with my new rear deploy heads, 7:30 am here comes a good buck 10 yds under my stand I draw pin him and wham a nice hit a little high on the shoulder blade but I am shooting straight down....off he goes and I'm waiting to see him crash.........There he goes yds 100 yds 150 out of site. I wait 2 hours and start my track.... No blood or arrow to be found guess no passthrough... I follow his hoof prints for 80 yds... no blood at 125 theres some blood great!! 30 yds later nothing no blood.... now the on the hands and knees search...... tiny specks here and there I search for 5 hours and no deer.......Now I'm no rookie I have been bow hunting since 1970 and can track deer but this one is gone......now I go home sick to my stomach that I lost this deer. OK next time out same thing..... good buck under the stand 12 yds shot and a sparse bloodtrail...... another one lost.......Now I'm really sick I haven't lost 2 deer in a row ever!

So now back to the money back guarantee.... I call Rage and the girl says send back 2 of the heads and pratice head and receipt and we'll refund your money....but she just didn't get that 2 deer are dead in the woods with my arrows and the heads still in them.....well you need to send back 2 heads bla bla bla.... Screw it she's just a puppet I guess I will go back to my Wasp heads and take my lumps for trying something new..... So if you want to loose deer go buy some of those Rage heads!!!!! end rant.....

Dobber
8 Point
8 Point

--
10 Nov 2008 08:27 PM  
do a search on the rage broadhead recall, they had an issue with the 3 blade last year and if your archery store is still selling them, switch archery stores
tszakelyhidio
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
13 Nov 2008 07:12 PM  
i use the g5 tekan 2  the first doe i didnt get a pass through but hit both lungs shot was good found her 70yds away,  second one big 8pt  he was hit high in the back by another hunter half the arrow was still there so i had to put him down , he was straight down so i took the spine and dropped him again no pass through,  i know i took two good shots and neither pass through and both beaman arrows broke.  i know i wont be using the tekans next year  probably wont use beaman ics arrows again either maybe it was me but ill play it safe i dont want to leave any wounded  
tszakelyhidio
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
13 Nov 2008 07:12 PM  
i use the g5 tekan 2  the first doe i didnt get a pass through but hit both lungs shot was good found her 70yds away,  second one big 8pt  he was hit high in the back by another hunter half the arrow was still there so i had to put him down , he was straight down so i took the spine and dropped him again no pass through,  i know i took two good shots and neither pass through and both beaman arrows broke.  i know i wont be using the tekans next year  probably wont use beaman ics arrows again either maybe it was me but ill play it safe i dont want to leave any wounded  
Brandon
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
13 Nov 2008 10:04 PM  
I've heard a lot of good things about the rage 2-blade broadhead, but almost everything I've heard about the 3-blade has been bad. I've never used either of them, because I don't have the money to spend that much on broadheads. I'll stick to my thunderheads.... haven't failed me yet.
Renotexan
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
15 Nov 2008 05:28 PM  
My first time on this forum, but found conversation about Rage Broadheads good and wanted to put my 2 cents in. First I have a question. I hunt mostly in South Texas area so we hunt mostly from ground blinds. My blind had shoot through screens on windows. Has anyone heard if this will cause the mechanical heads to open as they pass through?

Ok, now about the Rage heads. As my cousin and hunting partner (10 years my junior) says I'm old school with my bowhunting. He probably is right to a degree. I just recently upgraded to a Matthews Switchback XT. My previous bow was a Hoyt Spectrum made about 1989. Anyway, mechanical heads were around then and always seemed to have some problems at some time opening. Seems they still do by the discussion here. I guess my take on Rage is this. Why do I need a head that has to move to do its job. I understand the large wound channel, but I have to depend that those blades will stay in tact, slide back, open up and cut. I'm a mechanical person and have always liked the saying that the less moving parts you have, the more reliable it is.

Last, I shoot the Muzzy 100 4 blade heads. I have shot Muzzy for years, but my first experience with the 4 blade. They are definitely "Bad To The Bone". I took a doe during archery season at 20 yds. I hit her dead square in the closest shoulder, broke through bone, passed through closets rib dead center, through cavity, center of opposing side rib, out though far side shoulder blade and flew about 20 yds behind her. She ran about 40 yards and dropped. I picked up my arrow and looked at the head. No damage, blades perfect, looked like it hadnt even been shot other than blood on it. I will admit small blood trail, but wow, all that bone and it blew through her on a straight line. Bottom line is if we as hunters put the arrow in right place and the arrow and head go through the body on the line we shoot, the deer will not go far. I have killed many deer and hogs with a bow over the years. I have only lost one hog in that time. All using fixed blade heads. So I guess I will stay old school.

buglin
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
07 Jan 2009 04:56 AM  
I am new to this sight but just had to reply!  I know everybody has their own opinion but a deer will expire pretty fast if  you shoot them good with any broadhead. as to people ragging on the rage 3 blade here you go. I was really nervous about mechanicals but thought i would try the rage after reading a few good articles. august 2007 I shot a 4 by 5 muledeer 45 yards passthru best blood trail i have ever seen. september 2007 I shot a 370 bull elk at 28 yards again complete passthru i watched the bull expire within 100 yards. jan 2008 shot a javalina same thing bigger than a yote or bobcat and zipped right thru pig died within 50 yards. august 2008 shot an antelope which some may be ****** but i practice alot at this distance i shot 80 yards hitting the antelope behind the shoulder quartered toward me passing thru his hip on other side but did not pass thru still good blood died withen 150 yards. november 2008 shot another bull elk at 31 yards and flinched bad after holding bow back for probably close to 2 minutes hit the bull high the arrow penetrated through the spine bull dropped after another quck shot the bull expired quickly. I dont want to start a huge rukkas but ive seen what they do and its impressive. im thinkin if  there wasnt a blood trail it wasnt do to the broadhead, but more to the broadhead placement. thanks Chris from Arizona
hoops4mm
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
19 Mar 2009 02:22 AM  
I have shot the Rage 2 blade for the past 2 seasons.  With the 2" cutting diameter, I figured I couldn't go wrong.  The first season I shot a doe from about 30 yards away, she only got about 20 yards and dropped.  It looked like a horror film, blood everywhere.  This past season I shot a 9 pointer, he was only about 15 yards (maybe) directly below my tree stand.  It was a good shot (better be from that distance) with full pass thru.  The amount of blood was unreal.  I'm color blind, so tracking deer is difficult for me.  Ray Charles could've tracked this buck.  He ran maybe 15 yards and crashed.  So, what I'm trying to say is that I'm sold on the rage - I think you guys who are having problems should try the 2 blade.
swampgoat
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
11 Aug 2009 10:17 AM  
maybe if you had a real bow, you wouldn't have this problem!! 
tenpointplus1
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
03 Nov 2009 03:14 AM  

I will be switching back to my tried and true spitfires.Last nite i arrowed a doe at 15 yards double lung hit  and i thought i would find her not to far from where i shot her but to my surprise no blood maybe three drops.Found the arrow and one of the blades did not deploy searched for two hours and not a sign of her.I think i could of had better luck just using a field tip.Very disappointed what a waste of cash!

mocha1
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
10 Nov 2009 12:58 AM  
Reading the Rage posts I have to share my experiences this year. I switched to rage 2 blade because of all the hype about wound channels and how they fly and group. After last week I have pitched them into the trash and will never entertain a mechanical again. I shoot a Mathews legacy, 29 in draw 70#, carbon impact. Last week had a good buck at 20 yards broadside. Watched the arrow hit the ribcage, with a loud sharp crack. Buck ran off with most of arrow protruding. Found the arrow at about 100 yds, both blades were sheared completely off. After about 200 yards blood quit, spent rest of day checking trails, ravines, brushpiles nothing. 3 days later, better buck at 18 yards, good shot into the ribcage, buck ran off, most of the arrow hanging out. No blood, no arrow, after searching all the next day found nothing. Sick about losing two good bucks. Have hung my bow for the year. Both shots were from tree stand 12 - 15 feet high, angle was not severe.
caiman
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
14 Nov 2009 12:13 AM  

i agree im done with rage, a buddy mine recomended them so i bought the 3 blades, first deer i hit was a little high but still good shot, arrow was still in deer as it ran, went through but had 6inch of so of fletched end hanging out, stopped about 50yds and yanked it out, ran back in front me the straight out, it was muddy i was able to track it 100yds by tracks, not a single drop of blood anywhere not even splatter where it pulled it out and when i picked it up one of the blades hadnt deployed n the other 2 wernt fully open, spent 5hrs looking for her

2nd deer i hit with it clean through shot right through lungs %^&* for blood trail, deer ran 200yds thank god stayed on same deer trail whole time, had it veered off i wouldve lost it, took me an hr to find him thanks to the %^&* ass blood trail

3rd deer hit in the shoulder tripped n feel o ver everything, ran into a tree and yanked out the arrow, ran up the hill n laid down about 100yds out, i waited n hr and went after her, before arrow was pulled %^&* for blood trail after semi decent, sure wasnt what "rage" advertises i go0t about half way up the hill to were shed laid down n she got up n trotted off like nothing was wrong, n about 10ft from were she laid is also were the blood trail ended, seen a deer couple times since we think is her, were she laid for an hr no pool of blood noithing but matted down leaves n grass spent 4hrs looking for her

4th deer today was a fawn maybe 60-75lb hit in the shoulder semi decent trail for 150yds then tiny drops for 50 the nothing, ran into this super thick briar patch u gotta crawl through on your hand n knees founds maybe 5 tiny drops of blood in there but lost the trail n she still has my arrow in her, spent 5.5hrs looking for her

im sorry but IMO these broadheads r %^&* and ill never use them for anything but squirell again, n when the 2 i have left are busted i will never buy any products from this company never again, imo they are falsly advertised and causing more harm then good, i read somewhere NY outlawed them, i think other states should as well, i could put a feild point through a fawns shoulder n when a deer has an arrow sticking outta it and runs through a briar patch it should strart gushing blood, a good sling shot n marbles couldve done more damage

till today i kept blaiming myself, bad shot, hit bone etc well a fawn that small doesnt have rock solid bone like adults ever is the blades didnt deploy it should have killed that deer, IMO of course, in the future ill bve avoiding rage like the plegue

caiman
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
14 Nov 2009 12:13 AM  

i agree im done with rage, a buddy mine recomended them so i bought the 3 blades, first deer i hit was a little high but still good shot, arrow was still in deer as it ran, went through but had 6inch of so of fletched end hanging out, stopped about 50yds and yanked it out, ran back in front me the straight out, it was muddy i was able to track it 100yds by tracks, not a single drop of blood anywhere not even splatter where it pulled it out and when i picked it up one of the blades hadnt deployed n the other 2 wernt fully open, spent 5hrs looking for her

2nd deer i hit with it clean through shot right through lungs %^&* for blood trail, deer ran 200yds thank god stayed on same deer trail whole time, had it veered off i wouldve lost it, took me an hr to find him thanks to the %^&* ass blood trail

3rd deer hit in the shoulder tripped n feel o ver everything, ran into a tree and yanked out the arrow, ran up the hill n laid down about 100yds out, i waited n hr and went after her, before arrow was pulled %^&* for blood trail after semi decent, sure wasnt what "rage" advertises i go0t about half way up the hill to were shed laid down n she got up n trotted off like nothing was wrong, n about 10ft from were she laid is also were the blood trail ended, seen a deer couple times since we think is her, were she laid for an hr no pool of blood noithing but matted down leaves n grass spent 4hrs looking for her

4th deer today was a fawn maybe 60-75lb hit in the shoulder semi decent trail for 150yds then tiny drops for 50 the nothing, ran into this super thick briar patch u gotta crawl through on your hand n knees founds maybe 5 tiny drops of blood in there but lost the trail n she still has my arrow in her, spent 5.5hrs looking for her

im sorry but IMO these broadheads r %^&* and ill never use them for anything but squirell again, n when the 2 i have left are busted i will never buy any products from this company never again, imo they are falsly advertised and causing more harm then good, i read somewhere NY outlawed them, i think other states should as well, i could put a feild point through a fawns shoulder n when a deer has an arrow sticking outta it and runs through a briar patch it should strart gushing blood, a good sling shot n marbles couldve done more damage

till today i kept blaiming myself, bad shot, hit bone etc well a fawn that small doesnt have rock solid bone like adults ever is the blades didnt deploy it should have killed that deer, IMO of course, in the future ill bve avoiding rage like the plegue

Rick
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
27 Nov 2009 10:11 PM  
Sold me, I'm tossing mine.I dont want to lose a big deer.I just saw them and was going to try them i sure do not want to lose a big old buck that would be bad.
Rick
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
27 Nov 2009 10:12 PM  
Sold me, I'm tossing mine.I dont want to lose a big deer.I just saw them and was going to try them i sure do not want to lose a big old buck that would be bad.
tndeerslayer
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
08 Dec 2009 03:51 AM  

Well crap...I just bought a pack and tossed the old and all I have left is the rages. All though, from what I have read in the post Rages work great at like 15 and out, not so much at closer ranges. Hope I dont have a bad expiriance in the woods tomorrow.....

T-BONE
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
09 Dec 2009 06:21 PM  

Worked for me, best blood trail I have ever seen! Dropped this buck on the spot and then he only went 10 or so yards on his side.

Matt
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
08 Apr 2010 07:52 PM  
i have nothing but good things to say about the rage i use the 2 blade and the leave a awsome blood trail
fjmac
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
06 Oct 2010 01:52 AM  
its not the broad head its the shot,stop blaming the broad head
buckhavoc1
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
12 Oct 2010 02:36 PM  
I totally agree. You can find many things wrong with the broadheads of any kind. I shot muzzy's for the longest time, a friend of mine shot zewicky's, and i before going to rages shot steelforces. The RAGE broadhead that my son and I use has only failed once... And it was clearly a bad shot from me. My son shot a nice 8 pt buck last year and i thought after he shot it that we were going to have to get a search party after this one...i t was a terrible shot.... until both of us heard him fall. The RAGE broadhead is the real deal for us!!!
<----------------((((( Welcome to MY World! ))))---------------->
Carl
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
08 Nov 2010 02:47 PM  
After my problems I started looking around to see if it was just me...Nope. Here is my story, Sry in advance for the wall of text.

I heard good things about the Rage Broadheads. Had a Hunting buddy using a Mathews totally DESTROY a Doe at 15yds with the 2 Blade. This year I picked up a pack of 3 Blade. I'm hunting a residential subdivision in Central TX, just outside a city limit that is overloaded with Deer. Being residential, Homeowners assoc limited Harvesting to Archery only. Not much "Hunting" more like just Harvesting. Shooting an Oneida Screaming Eagle, 70lb Draw, Easton 2317 (Arrow+Braodhead= 600gr) @ 270fps, for years I used the Muzzy 100gr with success. We "Had" 2 super nice bucks running around out here and a 1:15 Buck/Doe ratio.
2nd week of Oct I finally got a shot on a 130lb 4yr old 9Pt, approx 140ish class. Roughly 18 Wide x 16 tall that I had been watching for a couple weeks. Biggest Deer i've ever had a shot on, much lesss with a Bow, 42yds Broadside. I had just repaired some damage fletching arrows with the Bone Collector Quick Spin shrink wraps and had not shot them over 20yds. I am proficient out to 50yds with traditional fletchings, He stood there a good 10 sec broadside and gave me the shot. I leveled in him & let it fly... The arrow with traditional fletchings drop ~8" at 40yds, When I fired I could see the arrow dropping, at about the 20yd mark I heard the "Twip" as the quick spin kicked in, leveled out the arrow and hit him right behind the shoulder about 3" below the spine with a sharp "Crack". OK, I knew I hit ribs and it was high but it was a double lung shot and he plowed off into the cedars with 2/3 of the arrow hangin out on exit with no signs of slowing down. I justified it to myself that I hit ribs in & out and that was why the arrow didn't blow all way thru. I gave it an hour and fully expected to find him piled up about 70yds back... Didn't find blood for 40yds, found random droppings of bright frothy blood, confirmed lung shot... eventually found the arrow about 175yds, only 1 blade was deployed and other 2 were jammed. We Lost/found/lost/found blood trail over 1.5miles after 9hrs we accidentally stumbled into him bedded up about 100yds since last blood. He jumped up looking at us with a huge black strak down his side, ducked his head and plowed back into the brush without a care in the world. This was a new, right out of the package broadheads. I had tinkered with it, pushing on the shoulders wo see how it was supposed to work. After the recovery, a piece of bone was jammed in 1 of the blades that did not even deploy, the 2nd was 1/2 deployed and had a nick on it where it looked like it hit the 3rd when they deployed. Buck of my life and lost it, was less than impressed with the end results.
Co-workers came out that were 2-3yr Archery Hunters that haven't gotten a Bow kill yet. Female friend using a PSE with 40lb draw, carbon express arrows and the 2" Rage. She finally got a legit shot on a yearling Doe ~45lbs at 10yds, Quartering to. She was proficient on the targets and I knew she could make the shot. She made a perfect behind the shoulder shot awesome "Crack & Whoosh" (Bone & Lung), 5 of us standing there watching the hit & only 1/3 of the arrow entered. Gave it 30 minutes and started the search. We found the arrow ~50yds away with some blood and gut contents. Ewww. We continued ~75yds and almost walked into the deer standing up in a small clump of oaks. Enourmous entry hole and not bleeding... 3 of us were standing 5ft from the deer in awe... amazing entry hole with nothing coming out. Tried to tackle her to cut her throat but she ran another 50yds and layed down under the Cedar. We left her overnight and claimed the reward the next morning. After field dressing her we found a good entry, busted rib and the arrow took a hard rt turn, followed the inside of the ribcage, 1 lung, liver and gut.Recovery but less than impressive.
I was holding out for the larger Does & letting them try to harvest some younguns when I had ~100lb Doe give me a broadside at 20yds. Once again, 3 Blade Rage... Mid body entry hit at the crease behind shoulder, saw the arrow exit with an upward trajectory and she ran off. I could see the arrow hanging in the tree. I recovered the arrow with all 3 blades 1/2 deployed. Now i'm really getting concerned. Why are these broadheads not deploying?????? Needless to say, 2hr search and losing the bloodtrail about 100yds out, 3hr search never found her.
following morning, I had 1 Muzzy left. ~65lb Doe at 20yds, high double lung shot (higher than day before), She dropped and spun just as I fired. Full blow thru, 40yds later recovery. Unfortunately the broadhead hit a rock on exit and was destroyed.
I've had a 140lb, 140 class 10pt tormenting me for 2 weeks. He beds down in the tall grass 50yds out and all I can see are his Antlers sticking out of the grass. Couple times I tried to sneak up on him to get a shot and he would slink away into the heavy cedars, Every time another Buck shows up he would bust out at a full charge and run them off, any time a Doe would show up he would bust out at a full charge and they would run. 45min later, I would see the horns sticking out of the Grass. I knew the 1st rut was in full swing and he would make a mistake, I just hoped I would be ready when he did... I only had 1 arrow left... and the last of the Rage 3 Blade...
Yesterday was my Birthday, had a group of Does show up & here he comes, chased them off and lost sight of him. BUT... this time he messed up. He came back the same route, 15yds passed me. He stopped at 25yds quartering away watching some other Does trying to approach, I drew back, found the Shoulder, "Happy Birthday to Me!" FIRE... Just as I fired he started his charge, perfect elevation, way back, heard the hollow "Whump" as it hit. He hunched up and stopped about another 20yds. Buddy and I stood here watching him at 45yds facing away from us with all but the fletching hanging out the exit. With Bino's I could see the arrow covered in black Liver blood. He stood there 10 min looking back where I shot him, and trying to bite at the arrow hanging out of him just behind his shoulder. He was hunched up and finally started slowly walking back into the brush with the arrow hanging out. Fully expecting him to bed down in the heavy cedars 50yds back and die, We left him alone for 3 1/2 yrs before I couldn't stand it anymore. The spot he stood for 10 min had a 5" puddle of dark blood. We continued down the trail where we watched him go... nothing. We backed out, gave it another 2hrs and enlisted the help of 2 others to help me make my "recovery". 7hrs of searching every trail, ravine, creekbed, brushpile, known or possible bedding areas, We found one section for about 30yds where he bled good. Never found him or the Arrow.
Buddy using a Mathews, 65lb Draw, 300fps Carbons, 2 Blade Rage, stayed to hunt last night. 1 really big ~110lb Doe shows up leading her fawns. He gets a Broadside shot at 30yds, shot low, missed. She ran TOWARD us and turned looking back to see what that commotion was. He reloaded, Slight "quartering to" Broadside at 20yds looking back, CRACK, dead center in the shoulder, minimal penetration. We watched her dragging her front leg and the arrow fall out. OK, not the perfect shot, "Quartering to" Shoulder shot should get the shoulder, heart and lungs. We listened and heard her crashing in the brush on 3 occasions and it got quiet for 20min. It got dark so we needed to go find her. We found the arrow broken. 10yds later found a 3" section of the broken off tip with the Rage 2 Blade 1/2 deployed and locked in a "T" Shape.
Now that I'm out of Arrows and Broadheads... 2 Monster Bucks and a huge Doe wasted/missing... I started searching to find out if anybody else it having problems. WOW did I find people having problems. What was revered as the Greatest thing since Compound Bows... utter FAIL. I have 2 salvaged Rage 3 Blade broadheads left, Think I will use them for something that I might get full Penetration on... like a Rabbit or Squirrel.
If you made it this far and you still have Rage Broadheads, shame on you. Total waste of my $44, 2 Personal best Bucks and a Huge Doe. Never again....
BOWHUNTER missouri
8 Point
8 Point

--
19 Nov 2010 08:48 PM  
i just tryed these mechanical broadheads and liked them. shot a doe with it went threw her she went about 30 yrds from were i shot from.but i do feel your pain thow. I had a muzzy done the same thing shot a doe behind the shoulder and found some blood , but no deer. the next week shot a five pointer with the muzzy and had lots of blood and found the deer. Question was your blades sharp. cause shot a deer the year before and my blades were daw. sharpend them before i went out and shot a doe and maded a difference. i was just wondering. again sorry for your pain.
GIT-R-DONE
Carl
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
21 Nov 2010 12:58 PM  
Yep, my buddy that bought the 2 Blade and the 3 Blade that I bought were brand new purchased back in August from Academy. Used the practice tips. I had fired 1 into my cheap Walmart foam target, it blew a nasty hole thru but the whole arrow did not fully exit. Pulled it all way out, did not observe any blade damage & still were Sharp. Reset the blades & put it back in the quiver until they were ready to use.
Cuda
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
19 Jan 2011 05:56 PM  
I tried the rage broadheads the first year they came out, first shot was on a turkey, cut his wing completely off right before he ran out of sight, found the arrow, picked it up, one blade was gone, and the other one fell off when I picked up the arrow. 4 hours later I had a nice buck come in on me, 25 yard shot, found blood for a while, then it stopped, found 2/3 of my arrow snapped off 4 inches from the front, never found the deer. I lost two animals within 4 hours, and two brand new expensive broadheads, still have the 3rd, anybody want it....haha. I use to shoot spitfires, like those better, actually had a chance to shoot at a 5 point twice in 2 minutes, rare, but true, both shots were pass throughs, should have stayed with the spitfires. Tried the bloodrunners after the rages, lost a nice six point, done with mechanicals. I started shootin Muzzys, success, think I'll stick with those, less moving parts do deal with
PINETREE
8 Point
8 Point

--
01 Aug 2011 02:42 PM  
I THINK THE PROBLEM WAS YOU DIDNT HAVE A EXIT HOLE...THE DEER WAS HIT HIGH WITH NO EXIT THE BODY FILLED UP WITH BLOOD THATS WHY YOU COULDNT FIND MUCH BLOOD...
MIKE EVERETT
PINETREE
8 Point
8 Point

--
01 Aug 2011 02:44 PM  
ALSO ANYONE THAT IS NOT HAPPY WITH THEIR RAGE BROADHEADS YOU CAN SEND THEM TO ME ILL BE GLAD TO TAKE THEM....HAHA
MIKE EVERETT

---
Active Forums 4.2