Register  | Login
  Search

Buckmasters Forums

Very dumb post here sorry
Last Post 09 Aug 2007 07:00 AM by r_rayjr. 8 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
RJF
6 Point
6 Point

--
08 Aug 2007 05:39 AM  
Well Im sorry for the dumb question but im just getting into bow hunting got my hoyt powertech set up with a tru glow 3 pin sight and a whisker bisket rest. MY question is I have three pins I havent moved them but does it go the bottom site 0- 30 yards one above it 40 yards and so forth? or do I have it backwards? im shooting groups of a pop can bottom right now but havent went more than 33 yards. Sorry for the stupidness of this post
Dakota Danny
6 Point
6 Point

--
08 Aug 2007 06:05 AM  
You can use your sight pins the way you want. The key is to set them up to work well for you. Most choose to set them up at 10 yard intervals. I have 5 pins, and I don't like to shoot further than 30 yards hunting, so I went with 10,20...up to 50.

Some will start 20 to 60 in my setup.

I don't know how flat your bow shoots, so you may want to do 20, 30, 40 or 10, 20, 30. Determine your max or comfort range by practice. We all have our own. The most disciplined hunter is the one willing to let an animal walk rather than risk injury.

When you establish your max distance, keep in mind that target practice and actual hunting are different stories. Moving animals, various weather, and their response are just some of the reasons you should have a shorter comfort zone than your practice distance. From what I remember reading, after 30 yards, the equation shifts to the whitetail. They are able to hear the sound, and jump the string (which in some cases is ducking under the arrow). For that reason, many of the best shots in the world really don't take shots further than 30 yards.

Good luck to you and a happy harvest.
newhunter
12 Point
12 Point

--
08 Aug 2007 07:09 AM  
Your top pin will be your 10 yrd, mid pin will be your 20 yrd and the bottom pin will be your 30 yrd. I hope this helps, good luck.

Webfetti.com

Ronald Ray Jr.
6 Point
6 Point

--
08 Aug 2007 07:38 AM  
I am kind of new to Bow hunting too. I have had mine for almost 3 deer seasons now. So since your new you might be doing what I did when I first got my bow set up. The guy at the PRO-SHOP that set up my bow for me when he was done said I was ready to use it. So I thought it was all set up with the pins and everything. But I found out later it's not.

You have to and move them yourself as you practice to see where they are at. When I first started shooting I kept missing the target. It would either go under it or over it. I tried shooting at 20 yards then I went to 10 when it hit the ground and slid under the target. And then it went over the target. And then my Uncle came out and saw I was having problems and asked me how I was moving my pins, I told him that I didn't move the pins and he said well that's your one of your problems. He told me to move all the pines up and then move one pin down to about where I think 20 yards or what ever I wanted for my closest shot to be. and try it there. He said that if after shotting and the pin get moved up to far for the other pins, to them adjust the height thing and try moving the pins again staring from the bottom.

After being told that, I finally got it set up, I ended up having to go 10, 20 and 30 yards. But for some reason I could not get that first pin to set on target at 20 yards, Which is what I had wanted to do at first, but after spend 3 or 4 hours trying to get the pins set I decided to go with 10, 20 and 30 yards instead of the 20, 30, 40 as I had planned at first. But I figured after trying for a while I most likely wont get a deer or what ever past 30 yards. But just to see if I could do it if I needed too after getting the 10, 20 and 30 yard pins set-up I then moved out to 40 yards from the target and then guessing by using about the same space above the 30 yard pin as it was from the 20 and I was able to hit the bullseye. So I can shot out to 40 yards if I had to, with my pins at 10, 20 and 30 yards.

So I hope that this helps a little more. So you will need to get some Allen Wrenches and move your pins as needed. And you will/might need a different size for the elevations and horizontal adjustment too. In fact on my sight I had to use standard and metric Allen Wrenches. Because I started to use standard on the elevations and horizontal adjustment Allen screws, but it started to strip, so I had to find a metric to fit it right. I do not know why they had two different types of Allen screws on a single piece of bow sight equipment. My sight it was came with the PSE bow. There is a small red disk on my sight and it says topgun. So I am assuming that it the brand name of the sight. So hopefully yours has all standard of all metric screws instead of a mix of both like mine does.

Oh, and if I remember right when you do your pins, it the arrow hit the target and you want it to be up to be on the bullseye, If I remember right you want to move the pin down. But don't hold me on that though. But if I remember right when I did mine back in August or September of 2005, since the Allen screws were at the bottom When I went to move the pin I flipped it and pointed it at the target and then moved it the direction that I actually needed since the bow was now upside down. But as I said I do not remember for sure. So just kind of play with it a little until you see how it works. And remember, when you move the pin to where you think it might need to be, tighten it back up before you try to shoot it because if you don't it will move. and don't loosen it just enough to where you can force it over because you might bend the pin. loosen it up enough to move the pin easily and then re-tighten and shoot to see how it does, and readjust as needed.
Ronald Lee Ray Jr.
rrjr11@cox.net
Disabled Navy Veteran
Ronald Ray Jr.
6 Point
6 Point

--
08 Aug 2007 07:51 AM  

Oh, and in my last post when I said "move all the pines up and then move one pin down"

The bow was upside down since the Allen Screws were under the sights. So as New Hunter said the top pin when hold the bow right side up, will be your closest setting 10 or 20 yards or what ever you set it up as, then the bottom pin will be your fartherest setting. I said what ever for the setting because I have hear of some people setting their pins 30, 40, and 50 yards. I have even heard of someones farthest setting being 60 yards. So what ever you are comportable with is what you can do. But most people that I have heard of do either 10, 20, 30 or 20, 30, 40. the others are a very small few.

Ronald Lee Ray Jr.
rrjr11@cox.net
Disabled Navy Veteran
RJF
6 Point
6 Point

--
09 Aug 2007 03:14 AM  
okay thanks a bunch I left the pins alone and moved the site to get it into range my lowest pin when holding the bow in a pulled postion was hitting perfect at 33 yards. So from what you saying I need to lower the pins above it and set the top at 20 the middle at 30 and the bottom at 40. The pin im using for 30 could stay in place but just move one of the other below it to set up for 40 to 45 yard shot correct? Thanks and sorry for the dumb questions just trying to get it all down pat.
Dakota Danny
6 Point
6 Point

--
09 Aug 2007 03:35 AM  
RJF...Sounds like you have it figured out.

Don't forget to practice...when you've practiced...do some more.

It's darn exciting when a deer is within range. You want the shooting to be like habit. There's one way to get it that way...repetition...

RJF
6 Point
6 Point

--
09 Aug 2007 06:01 AM  
Yes I know about practice usually I shoot around 125 times when I shoot. Since my car wreck my left hand was tore up pretty bad and I have to let it rest awhile till I can go agian lol. Thanks for the replys
Ronald Ray Jr.
6 Point
6 Point

--
09 Aug 2007 07:00 AM  

This wasn't really a dumb question at all!!! You know someone here at the forum said to me once, "The only dumb question is a question not asked."

If you don't ask, you don't learn. And if you don't learn, in some cases you could get hurt or in the worse case, die!!! Most people here are very helpful and will try to help. So there are no dumb questions. Just make sure you ask any questions you might have. Even if it might seem dumb to you or even might seem it is a common sence type question.

Ronald Lee Ray Jr.
rrjr11@cox.net
Disabled Navy Veteran
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! Join Buckmasters Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!