Register  | Login
  Search

Buckmasters Forums

The homemade broadheads I hunt with
Last Post 22 Jan 2009 01:12 AM by overhill. 8 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
2Chucks
6 Point
6 Point

--
14 Nov 2008 01:10 AM  
This is the process I use to make the broadheads that I hunt with.

I use 125 grain field points and reshape them to remove the shoulders. this step may not be necessary buy It looks nice.

the blades are cut from a .039 thick bandsaw blade.

the jig for slotting the field point is made of steel and clamps the point while the spacer (piece of hacksaw blade) Leaves room for the saw to pass between the two halves to cut the slot.

I then polish the two pieces and make sure I have a good fit up.

Next I braze the two parts together although I think solder or even J.B. Weld would suffice. I may try this on the next batch because brazing is messy and I have to quench afterward to make sure the heads are hard.

After reading a report on single bevel broadheads.(right after I finished the last batch of double bevel heads) I just had to make some single bevel heads. It just makes so much sense. I tested both to see if I get diff. results. After a few design changes, These are the heads that I now hunt with. 7/8 inch wide by 2 3/8 long, 212 grain single bevel.

tszakelyhidio
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
14 Nov 2008 02:41 AM  
they look great but is it worth the time,or could you buy a similar one. im not making fun,i think it would be satisfying to know i made own broadhead but is it really worth the effort, youve gotta have a lot of time tied up into each one to make it perfect.
2Chucks
6 Point
6 Point

--
14 Nov 2008 02:58 AM  
For me, it's all about the satisfaction of doing it myself. I have and can buy heads (it's not about the money) but like the challenge of hunting with hand made weapons.
tszakelyhidio
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
14 Nov 2008 03:01 AM  
I hope you didnt take that in a negative way, ive never done it so i figured id ask. if you took it the wrong way i apologize good luck with em
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
14 Nov 2008 03:05 AM  
All I can say is WOW !2Chucks you are fine craftsman
Tubby
The God of My Rock;He Is My Sheild;And The Horn Of My Salvation 2 Samuuel,Ch 22
rebel deer hunter
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
15 Nov 2008 01:58 AM  
thats pretty cool, 212 gr is alot, did u make the bow and arrows to that u shot that buck with?
SOUTHERN PRIDE
2Chucks
6 Point
6 Point

--
15 Nov 2008 10:29 PM  
Yes, go to the bragging section to see the buck I took with all homemade gear.
rebel deer hunter
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
16 Nov 2008 02:22 AM  
I looked at it, nice buck
SOUTHERN PRIDE
Conner Spohn
6 Point
6 Point

--
22 Jan 2009 01:12 AM  
A 212 grain broadhead?  What kinda bow/cannon are you shooting Ron?
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! Join Buckmasters Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!