Register  | Login
  Search

Buckmasters Forums

(Gulp) Crossbows
Last Post 07 Aug 2007 04:09 AM by cb. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Conner Spohn
6 Point
6 Point

--
01 Aug 2007 01:00 PM  

I can no longer pull back my bow. I need help from you crossbow users as i have  had no experience with them at all.

What set-up should i consider? (I have seen prices from 250.00 to (Gulp) 2200.00.)
Scope or open sights?
What poundage? (Plan to shoot not much more then 20 yards.)
What bolts are best?
What broadheads do you recommend.
Are they typically heavy to transport?
How do you remove string tension at end of day?
Any advise as to where i can purchase the recommended bow at a fair cost?
Thank you kindly

Mississippi
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
01 Aug 2007 02:50 PM  
My dad wants to sell his; its not even a year old. He got it because he had trouble with his wrist till he got a draw-loc for his bow, and now he doesnt need it. If your interested, email me and ill get the info, or let you talk to him and he can tell you what you need to know. He may even make you a good deal if your interested in a slightly used one. ( i dont like buying used, but since you dont really know what you want, this one comes with everything for one price) email-  Seale_eric@yahoo.com
"Only perfect practice makes perfect, anything else just gets you good at being bad."
J.Dworek
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
01 Aug 2007 10:34 PM  
I use a crossbow because I had surgrey on my hand's an elbow's I shoot a Barnett Revaolution useing a cocking device,scoped with a rino scope,an use 12 grain Cabela's Lazer Supreme broadhead's.I've taken several elk an antelope with it with no problem's with the crossbow.The Barnett's a in the middle price range of what you mentioned an my crossbow has not let me down.Oh by the way I also shoot a 22 inch Carbon Exspress crossbow bolts with the Cabela's fixed broadhead's
cb
8 Point
8 Point

--
02 Aug 2007 03:27 AM  
Sorry that you can no longer pull your bow.
My crossbow only needed bolts when I bought it new.The open sights are easy to get on your deer and the range is actually out to 30 yards.The poundage at 150lbs is sufficient to do the job.
My bolts were carbon but I can't remember what brand,my brother is using it now.As far as transporting them they are not so much heavy as they are awkward by comparison to a vertical bow.They do not go through the woods in the thick stuff without catching on something.
I always carried a separate bolt with a practice point or a judo point  just for that pesky squirrel(when in season) and to unload string tension at the end of the day.I would shoot it into the soft ground or a decaying stump. As far as buying one at a fair cost I wish you luck.
I hope that I've helped answer at least some of your ?s.
I hunted with a crossbow for about   14  years after I broke my back ,neck,and left wrist and dislocated my left shoulder.I couldn't pull my old bow either. Send me a message if I can answer any more ?s
mcraddock
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
02 Aug 2007 05:39 AM  
I'm running a similar setup as J. Dworek. I have taken plenty of deer with it out to 50 yards. It is deadly accurate with the new broadheads I'm using.Here are the specs:

Barnett Revolution with quiver
22" Carbon Express bolts
Aftershock X-bow 100 grain broadheads
4x32mm Simmons crossbow scope (has a special reticle that allows for drop at different ranges)

This unit is compund action with a draw weight of 175 lbs. I can pull it back with one arm, no problem.
crossbowhunter
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
02 Aug 2007 06:06 AM  

excalibur all the way!

Dobber
8 Point
8 Point

--
02 Aug 2007 01:21 PM  
try the new middleton's
great bow similar design to the excalibur
they have also been beating the heck out of excal at the 3d shoots
cb
8 Point
8 Point

--
07 Aug 2007 04:09 AM  
Overhill,
I should have mentioned earlier that if you put a Red Dot scope on your crossbow it makes it a more deadly weapon. You don't have crosshairs to line up. As long as you can see the dot on the target at any angle thru the scope you will hit where the dot is on the target. Red Dots make a crossbow real quick and easy to get on target.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! Join Buckmasters Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!